Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 17 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,034,145 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...c-f0342281eb1c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,182,103 times
How about the theft of an $8,000 package of chemotherapy pills? Happened to a neighbor.
With the emptying of jails by criminalizing pot, we should have more room for these worthless thieves.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 17 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
How about the theft of an $8,000 package of chemotherapy pills? Happened to a neighbor.
With the emptying of jails by criminalizing pot, we should have more room for these worthless thieves.
That's a different thing, and yes, that rises to a level of felony.

What makes theft a felony or a misdemeanor depends on the value of the item. And also, the aggression with which it was taken. A wallet stolen at knifepoint is a different crime from a wallet quietly stolen from a shopping cart.

Do you mean decriminalizing pot? And are those who are in prison for marijuana related crimes automatically pardoned when pot becomes legal?

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure.

BTW, my dad was on chemo drugs about that expensive, and he'd sit and wait for them to arrive by mail. Somehow, he was unable to get them delivered requiring a signature, they were just left on the porch and he'd have to watch for them. Even when he offered to pay the cost of the increased postage. Nuts.

But the thing is, I don't think we can just keep making more and more crimes felonies, and upcharging suspects way beyond the spirit of the laws. I don't want people in prison, which ruins their chances of being self-supporting when they get out, for stealing a book off my porch.

There needs to be a better way to deliver very expensive items than leaving them sitting on someone's porch. It's just as likely they could be lost through a delivery error - items of felony level value deserve more care than that.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,182,103 times
People are tired of these mutts stealing their things. Perhaps Sharia style chopping off of their hand is better.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,790,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

A lot of people purchase food and other essential items through Amazon. It really can cause serious problems for people if these things are stolen.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,027,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

We've lost our way.

Why are you so concerned with what happens to these thieves, if you aren't one of them?

I say it's right on track. These thieves are scum-sucking dogs, and deserve plenty of prison time. At least once that we know about, they stole a kids $40,000 chemo meds prescription. Can you even try to imagine what a parent goes through to cover that sort of price to keep their kid alive, and insurance won't pay any of it?

https://www.news10.com/news/national...ys-chemo-meds/

I have NO sympathy for them at all. I hope they start nailing these people, and they get at least 15 years.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,242,577 times
The opposite will probably happen in California.

Porch theft could be justified as financial need; therefore - these people will need financial support, housing, food, courtesy of the CA govt.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,790,757 times
Quote:
If someone steals a package thats been sent via the U.S.P.S., it's a federal felony no matter what state you're in, and it's been that way for a long time.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,848,148 times
Felony, mandatory minimum one year prison, would love that.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
I'm not really into punishments that don't really fit crimes.
Like I don't get putting someone who uses drugs in jail. I mean, how does that even make sense?
Mandatory rehab? Fines? That makes more sense. Someone SELLING drugs...yeah, big time jail.
Because it actually also solves the problem.

However, I do think that our overall punishment scheme is WAY too lenient towards offenders. If the only step up for package thieves is to move to the next bracket (to felony), then I guess that's fine. If there is something between what they get now (which is basically nothing/slap on the wrist/we aren't even gonna bother prosecuting this bc it's low level), that would be fine, too.

You know, there really need to start being real consequences in this world for being a low life scum sucker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events