Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 PM

30,139 posts, read 11,770,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.
Stealing USPS mail is a felony. Has been for a long time. I see this law on a similar level as stealing mail. Since so many packages are delivered outside of the USPS system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, it's a real headline.

I don't see the point of prison for petty thievery, that's not how the system is supposed to work. Volunteer hours and fines for petty thievery.

If you are mailing something that has real value - say, over 300 bucks, leaving it sitting on a porch wouldn't be considered "ordinary care" under civil law, I wouldn't think.

There is a very easy way for someone not to get changed with a felony for stealing packages. Don't steal packages.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Something has to be done, Clara. Innocent people are having thousands of packages stolen off of their porches every year, and a slap on the wrist isn't doing a damn thing to deter the thieves. In other countries, the thief would be missing a hand or two.

Stealing is stealing, period. If hardworking people can not be safe in their own homes without some idiot walking up and taking things they paid for, then this country is in trouble.
I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon. Some cheaper stuff, some expensive. If I order something its because I need it now and often for my home business. If the item gets stolen it does not matter if its $10 or $300 it screws up my business and it costs me a lot more than the package value.

What I do is use the Amazon Lockers. Where I am there are on the side of convenience stores. Amazon drops the off there and you can't open the locker with the pin code. I changed to this because sometimes they would drop stuff off at the front door and I don't have confidence that it will be there when I get home.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,814 times
Interesting that the city of Dallas is going the opposite direction. Plan from the DA is that theft of goods below $750 that were not for economic gain would not be prosecuted.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/11/...-level-crimes/

Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Laws and regulations swing back and forth between leniency and severe punishment based on what people want. Right now Texans seem to be tired of having their property stolen.
Certain parts of Texas you'd be lucky not to get your Azz shot if you steal that package off the Porch.

After all your Trespassing also.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Interesting that the city of Dallas is going the opposite direction. Plan from the DA is that theft of goods below $750 that were not for economic gain would not be prosecuted.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/11/...-level-crimes/

I am fine with minor drug possession charges to be dropped but being able to shoplift $750 worth of stuff and its perfectly legal will lead to Dallas to become the new Chicago.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many people are on board with it because they are tired of their damn packages getting stolen.
Oh yes, thats exactly why they are on board with this kind of law, they arent concerned whether punishment fits the crime, they are just tired of being ripped off/inconvenienced.

Like I said earlier though, there is already a solution to this problem that anyone can easily do, (set up the delivery so it requires a signature, if no one is home, they will leave a notice of where you can pick it up), Cannot get much easier and safer than that!!

Why LE doesnt suggest people use this is beyond me, all the package delivery companies have this option, its not even a new thing.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yes, thats exactly why they are on board with this kind of law, they arent concerned whether punishment fits the crime, they are just tired of being ripped off/inconvenienced.

Like I said earlier though, there is already a solution to this problem that anyone can easily do, (set up the delivery so it requires a signature, if no one is home, they will leave a notice of where you can pick it up), Cannot get much easier and safer than that!!

Why LE doesnt suggest people use this is beyond me, all the package delivery companies have this option, its not even a new thing.
Only that is not easy because you are then tied to the schedule of the delivery company, thus might as well go to the store yourself instead of having to miss the carrier, wait for him to return to his station. Only to have that station already closed to the public for that day. Find hours when you are normally working to go to a station which is still open to pick up the package and then return with your goods.

For the delivery industry, the receiver is not the customer, he is not paying for the freight he is the liability. The sender is the customer. And the sender doesn't want you getting frustrated with their shipper's window hours and go to Wal*Mart instead of using his service

Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times
Property crime destroys the very fabric of society. Theft undermines commerce and destroys trust that people have in their neighbors and fellow townsfolk.

I'm able to walk through a friend's house without stealing money that might be lying on a table or counter somewhere. It's not mine, I didn't EARN it. Ditto for seeing packages on people's porches, going through the aisle at a store, or seeing purses and backpacks on people walking down the street. It's THEIRS, what's so hard to understand?

So why are there people out there who are unable to walk past a stranger's porch without stealing a package? In a moral society any person over the age of 3 should be able to say "nope, not mine, not touching it" and move along.

And if they are unable to do that they should be removed from decent society.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

How ridiculous. People have a right to have merchandise delivered without scum stealing it within seconds of it being dropped off. Driving to some distribution center and waiting in line to pick up packages defeats the whole purpose of delivery. And not everyone lives within easy driving distance of pickup centers.

Oh, and I think that LE actually does suggest this as a way to minimize having your stuff stolen by druggie trash, but unlike you, they understand it's not always an option.

Here's any idea for you and Clara, although it's probably too complex for you. How about making the criminals responsible for their actions?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-20-2019 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events