Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 02:25 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Something does have to be done, but this constant ramping up of charges to higher and higher prison sentences isn't the solution for petty crime. It's been shown time and again that stiffer penalties for crimes doesn't work; it's the surety that they'll be caught and suffer SOME consequence is more effective.

What I'm hearing coming on the horizon is a way to deliver packages into a secure box on the porch. Maybe something with a trap door, maybe a code that will be sent with the package order, etc.

And certainly, anything of real value shouldn't just be left outside where anything can happen to it.

Stealing a package from Amazon shouldn't be treated in the courts the same way as, for example, attempted murder.

And it looks to me like this would put that crime right in that category.
How would a box on your porch be safe from criminals? Haven't you seen people trying to steal ATMs? Just seems there is no good solution.

I stayed home one day because I was expecting an expensive package. A signature was required.

Guess what? The UPS driver placed the package on my porch and gave a quick little rap on my door. He was gone by the time I opened my front door. I didn't hear him knock and he didn't wait for a signature. I just happened to walk to the front door because I thought I heard the sound of a truck.

I'm not sure how I could prove that it's not my signature on the driver's tablet because its not easy to sign on a screen and have it match your signature on a piece of paper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 02:27 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I wonder if they also have something setup where they sell these items. Or maybe use ebay.
I'm sure some of the more enterprising ones do. After all, many of the items they nab DO have some decent resale value, even if they aren't worth thousands of dollars. Not too long ago I bought several pairs of shoes online; each pair retailed for about $80. Had a thief picked that package up, he could have made some money reselling those brand-new, never worn shoes at a significant discount. (And then there was the $500 suitcase I bought from eBags shortly after that...)

In many ways, this new form of package theft, where the thieves follow the delivery truck around and nab nearly every package the driver drops off, is more akin to burglary than the one-off, impulse-of-the-moment package theft of years past. Like a burglar, the dedicated package thief may not know exactly what the catch of the day is going to be, but he knows he's likely to nab something that makes the whole business worthwhile.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 PM

105 posts, read 84,762 times
Quote:
Stealing a package from Amazon shouldn't be treated in the courts the same way as, for example, attempted murder.

We do all understand that there are different classes of felony charges?

(F6) MARIJUANA-POSSESS/USE

(F4) POSS WPN BY PROHIB PERSON

Yes sure these share the commonality of 'felony' in name. But judges often handle multiple smaller felony cases in a few hours versus a full blown trial such as in a murder case.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 PM

652 posts, read 340,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
How many door-to-door salesmen are going to be shot because some redneck homeowner thought his package was going to be stolen (even though it may not have been delivered yet)? You can use deadly force to prevent a felony in Texas (if you have a reasonable fear of bodily harm) that occurs on your property (which includes the vicinage, the front porch and lawn).

How many delivery drivers? "He had the package in his hands, officer!"
Sure, make everything a felony. Then we'll all be felons together.
Delivery companies have very obvious colored uniforms( Fed Ex- purple, DHL- yellow, UPS- Brown).

Sorry, try again.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
No, it's a real headline.

I don't see the point of prison for petty thievery, that's not how the system is supposed to work. Volunteer hours and fines for petty thievery.

If you are mailing something that has real value - say, over 300 bucks, leaving it sitting on a porch wouldn't be considered "ordinary care" under civil law, I wouldn't think.
Post your address please, so we can start coming over and steal your stuff. Since you don’t think it is really a problem, you should be ok with it.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
How many door-to-door salesmen are going to be shot because some redneck homeowner thought his package was going to be stolen (even though it may not have been delivered yet)? You can use deadly force to prevent a felony in Texas (if you have a reasonable fear of bodily harm) that occurs on your property (which includes the vicinage, the front porch and lawn).

How many delivery drivers? "He had the package in his hands, officer!"
Sure, make everything a felony. Then we'll all be felons together.
Oh please. Seriously doubt this is going to happen. How many innocent people were mistakenly shot on a doorstep in Texas last year? Source please. Thanks!

You can already shoot someone on your property in most states if you have reasonable fear of bodily harm - they don't have to be committing a felony.

Quote:
The castle doctrine is the name given to so-called “hold your ground” laws, which have been passed in states all over the US (starting with Florida in 2005). The Castle Doctrine states that citizens may “stand their ground,” or use deadly force, if they think doing so will protect them from bodily harm. Texas law states that you have no duty to retreat if you feel your safety is being threatened.
Quote:
n your home, Texas law assumes that you’re justified in using force to defend yourself against intruders. You get immunity under this presumption given a certain set of circumstances:

An intruder entered unlawfully and with force
An individual removes or attempts to remove you from your castle with force
https://www.davidbreston.com/when-is...eone-in-texas/

Look at that - nothing about committing a felony. You can use deadly force if your safety is being threatened.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
Delivery companies have very obvious colored uniforms( Fed Ex- purple, DHL- yellow, UPS- Brown).

Sorry, try again.
Then again last week actor Ice-T was suggesting to Amazon that they issue a vest or something to their flex delivery force because he was getting ready to shoot one of them.

And new city carriers for the postal service do not get a uniform until they pass probation, while rural carriers don't get a uniform at all.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Then again last week actor Ice-T was suggesting to Amazon that they issue a vest or something to their flex delivery force because he was getting ready to shoot one of them.

And new city carriers for the postal service do not get a uniform until they pass probation, while rural carriers don't get a uniform at all.
Sounds like 'Ice-T' is scared of his own shadow these days!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:56 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
The opposite will probably happen in California.

Porch theft could be justified as financial need; therefore - these people will need financial support, housing, food, courtesy of the CA govt.
And that's just the support they'll receive, in prison.

In our neighborhood we had a rash of mail thefts just before Christmas one year (people looking for gift cards in Christmas cards). They were driving up and down the streets stealing the mail right out of the roadside mailboxes. People were getting locking boxes, which is actually a good idea. But finally someone in their car saw the perps and followed them while calling the sheriff. The sheriff dept was aware of the ongoing issue and sent units to block the car in. They were arrested with a bunch of mail in their car and faced federal felony charges of interfering with the US mail, as well as numerous local petty theft charges.

One way to deal with the issue, if you often get valuable packages delivered, is to get a locking box, bolt it down near your door, and a key that the delivery person can drop into your locking mailbox after locking up the package, similar to what the neighborhood cluster mailboxes use.

Last edited by TheShadow; 06-22-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

Regardless of clothes, don’t you know the difference between someone leaving you a package and someone TAKING a package?

Here is a tip...

When someone is delivering a package, they will be carrying said package while walking TOWARDS your house.

When someone is stealing a package, they will be carrying said package as they walk(run), wait for it...., wait for it....AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE!!

Please fell free to pass along this valuable info to all your friends and family who live in fear of people who choose not to be victims of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events