Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

More people who think that instead of cracking down on crime, it's the victim's job to inconvenience themselves (possibly at great expense of time and money).

Different kind of victim blaming.

"Oh, yeah! You shouldn't have been wearing that dress!"
"Oh, yeah! You shouldn't have walked alone at night!"
"Oh, yeah! You shouldn't have ordered your medicine by mail even though that is how insurance companies make you do it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Property crime destroys the very fabric of society. Theft undermines commerce and destroys trust that people have in their neighbors and fellow townsfolk.
THIS! Thank You!

Dollar value means nothing when the Social Contract has been so eroded that we basically have to become security guards to protect our crap. Society degenerates into something resembling coyotes defending their territory.

No Thanks. I'm not a wild animal, and don't care to live with or like them.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:29 AM

652 posts, read 340,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...c-f0342281eb1c
Wake up cupcake. Very simple way to avoid this situation; DON’T STEAL OTHER PEOPLES $HIT!!

What part of this is difficult for you to understand?

Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 AM

652 posts, read 340,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, at least in Texas we can use deadly force to prevent theft of our property. That would save the taxpayer $$$ instead of the cost of a trial plus incarceration of the criminal.
That fact alone makes me want to move to Texas!!

Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's a different thing, and yes, that rises to a level of felony.

What makes theft a felony or a misdemeanor depends on the value of the item. And also, the aggression with which it was taken. A wallet stolen at knifepoint is a different crime from a wallet quietly stolen from a shopping cart.

Do you mean decriminalizing pot? And are those who are in prison for marijuana related crimes automatically pardoned when pot becomes legal?

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure.

BTW, my dad was on chemo drugs about that expensive, and he'd sit and wait for them to arrive by mail. Somehow, he was unable to get them delivered requiring a signature, they were just left on the porch and he'd have to watch for them. Even when he offered to pay the cost of the increased postage. Nuts.

But the thing is, I don't think we can just keep making more and more crimes felonies, and upcharging suspects way beyond the spirit of the laws. I don't want people in prison, which ruins their chances of being self-supporting when they get out, for stealing a book off my porch.

There needs to be a better way to deliver very expensive items than leaving them sitting on someone's porch. It's just as likely they could be lost through a delivery error - items of felony level value deserve more care than that.
Definitely needs to be a better way to deliver all packages. We live in a multi-family condo and one person had their passport stolen (sent by USPS). They offered a $500 reward but it didn't turn up. What a hassle! Passports are costly and getting one replaced is a huge hassle and very expensive. Where I live, the PO often leaves packages by the wrong doors, so we end up taking the package to the correct unit. Others do the same, but it's a headache to have to do the post office's job.

Some large apt or condo complexes don't want to be bothered with storing packages for tenants, and staying home waiting for deliveries isn't an option for everyone. It's become a big problem.

Amazon hires contractors to deliver the last mile, but they are hit and miss. Some just dump packages in a building lobby instead of taking them to the unit doors. I've seen them drag heavy boxes across the sidewalks instead of using a hand cart, some are very lazy. There has to be a better way.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 AM

531 posts, read 452,489 times
How many door-to-door salesmen are going to be shot because some redneck homeowner thought his package was going to be stolen (even though it may not have been delivered yet)? You can use deadly force to prevent a felony in Texas (if you have a reasonable fear of bodily harm) that occurs on your property (which includes the vicinage, the front porch and lawn).

How many delivery drivers? "He had the package in his hands, officer!"
Sure, make everything a felony. Then we'll all be felons together.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
How many door-to-door salesmen are going to be shot because some redneck homeowner thought his package was going to be stolen (even though it may not have been delivered yet)? You can use deadly force to prevent a felony in Texas (if you have a reasonable fear of bodily harm) that occurs on your property (which includes the vicinage, the front porch and lawn).

How many delivery drivers? "He had the package in his hands, officer!"
Sure, make everything a felony. Then we'll all be felons together.
We all won't be felons if we aren't all stealing.

Haven't seen a door to door salesman in years.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Haven't seen a door to door salesman in years.
You're lucky. I live in suburbia, and hardly a weekend goes by that we are not bothered by at least one roofing or painting or or window replacement or phone company rep wanting to sell us their product. They are as bad as telemarketers. (I usually won't answer the door or answer the phone, though.)

Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You're lucky. I live in suburbia, and hardly a weekend goes by that we are not bothered by at least one roofing or painting or or window replacement or phone company rep wanting to sell us their product.
I had no idea they still even existed. How awful to have people at you all the time.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
It takes a lot of successive steps to commit package theft in the classical sense (off-the-doorstep snatch-and-run). I think this takes into account the multiple individual crimes committed in the process, and the deliberation involved:

1. Must have intent to commit the crime
2. Must leave own dwelling or decide to stop en route to another destination to begin searching
3. Continue to search for packages unattended
4. Find a home, select a home, decide to make attempt (the first four steps build up to demonstrate this is not a thoughtless, impulsive endeavor)

5. Walk upon private property (trespass)
6. Touch labeled and addressed property that's not yours, intent to open it (tampering)
7. Leave with it (theft)

Also, goods are either delivered by US Mail or a carrier which may operate in a similar way, placing paid-for, addressed goods assigned to a named addressee on private property of said addressee.

So I can see how package theft (whether actual US Mail or otherwise) can be charged as a felony.

The alternative is throw the book of misdemeanors at them, half don't stick, and the others are plead down to no jail time, with probation and simple restitution, if any.

Last edited by ddm2k; 06-21-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events