Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Property crime destroys the very fabric of society. Theft undermines commerce and destroys trust that people have in their neighbors and fellow townsfolk.

I'm able to walk through a friend's house without stealing money that might be lying on a table or counter somewhere. It's not mine, I didn't EARN it. Ditto for seeing packages on people's porches, going through the aisle at a store, or seeing purses and backpacks on people walking down the street. It's THEIRS, what's so hard to understand?

So why are there people out there who are unable to walk past a stranger's porch without stealing a package? In a moral society any person over the age of 3 should be able to say "nope, not mine, not touching it" and move along.

And if they are unable to do that they should be removed from decent society.
Because they are not like you and I, they are entitled and have no respect for others property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yes, thats exactly why they are on board with this kind of law, they arent concerned whether punishment fits the crime, they are just tired of being ripped off/inconvenienced.

Like I said earlier though, there is already a solution to this problem that anyone can easily do, (set up the delivery so it requires a signature, if no one is home, they will leave a notice of where you can pick it up), Cannot get much easier and safer than that!!

Why LE doesnt suggest people use this is beyond me, all the package delivery companies have this option, its not even a new thing.
Nope. You're making excuses for criminals again.

The problem does not lie with the person who's getting robbed.
The problem isn't their house or their porch or their front door.
The problem isn't the delivery company.
The problem isn't the method of delivery
The problem isn't whether someone needs to be present to receive it.

The problem, and the ONLY problem, is the criminal who's committing the theft. That's it. Done. That's what needs to be addressed. The criminal is the only thing that needs to be halted. That's what needs to be removed from society.

People should be able to conduct commerce without the fear of getting robbed. If you're over the age of 3 and you can't be trusted to not steal things, please go die in a ditch somewhere because we do not need that type of person in society.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:40 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think that's what's behind the new Texas law. Package theft off of a porch used to be rare, and when it happened it was probably done by one of the neighborhood kids. But with the rise of online shopping there's been a concurrent rise in organized adult thieves who are specializing in package theft. They're not stealing a package here and there; they're following the delivery vehicle around and stealing every package it drops off. That's a more serious level of theft, and it deserves a more serious level of punishment.
Exactly what's happening. Scumbags have made package theft into a career. Nothing like driving through neighborhoods in my city and seeing emptied cardboard boxes that have been tossed onto streets, knowing darn well what happened to the contents. I absolutely refuse to see this sort of theft as some minor inconvenience for ordering things online.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:18 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's problematic in the case of package theft, though, because the thief doesn't know how valuable the contents of the package are until he actually opens the package. So Thief #1 steals a package that contains a cheap paperback book and has committed a misdemeanor, while Thief #2 steals an identical package that happens to contain something much more expensive and he's guilty of a felony. Two different sentences for exactly the same crime: stealing a package with unknown contents (in the hopes it will contain something really valuable).
Let us make it mandatory for the package thieves to come ahead and disclose what they found in their packages. Being as honest as they are, they should have no issues with it.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...c-f0342281eb1c
The idea is to stop the behavior. Having a felony on your record really taints it. If some idiot wants to chance it then it's them vs the Ring doorbell. Good luck. My city has a huge issue with package theft, which rises even higher during Christmas time. Good for Texas.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yes, thats exactly why they are on board with this kind of law, they arent concerned whether punishment fits the crime, they are just tired of being ripped off/inconvenienced.

Like I said earlier though, there is already a solution to this problem that anyone can easily do, (set up the delivery so it requires a signature, if no one is home, they will leave a notice of where you can pick it up), Cannot get much easier and safer than that!!
So its the customers fault if someone steals their package? You don't always have that option of signature required. I purchased a flat screen from Amazon Prime for my mom. They delivered it to the side door which is open to the street instead of the front door and although she was home she did not know that it was delivered. She found it hours later but you don't always get the option of a signature required. Same with eBay. Its often the option of the shipper. Yes you can get your money back but why should these criminals get free stuff and not even face serious jail time for it?

In Mexico mail theft is rampant. People simply do not send valuable items in the mail because its likely to get stolen. And very unlikely that someone will be punished for stealing the items. We don't need to be like Mexico.

Getting states on the same page that the federal government regarding stealing packages is a good idea. Or just expand federal law that any package delivered by any means including drones is a federal offense and a felony.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-21-2019 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Only that is not easy because you are then tied to the schedule of the delivery company, thus might as well go to the store yourself instead of having to miss the carrier, wait for him to return to his station. Only to have that station already closed to the public for that day. Find hours when you are normally working to go to a station which is still open to pick up the package and then return with your goods.
Exactly. I work M-F 7:30 AM until whenever I get home (which is usually well after 5 PM). I often have to work part or all of Saturdays as well. Just when am I supposed to go to the delivery center to pick up my packages? (To top it off, the FedEx delivery center is in a dangerous neighborhood. Better hope my package was shipped by UPS or USPS.)

Shopping by mail is a Godsend for me, and also for people who are housebound or who can no longer drive. "Easier and safer" to pick things up at a delivery center? I don't think so! I'm so happy I no longer have to worry about porch theft, and I feel sorry for those of you who do have to contend with it.

(As an aside, what else should these people be allowed to steal off of other people's porches with impunity? Furniture? Decorations? Grills? Just how far should the law-abiding be expected to go in order to avoid victimization?)

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-21-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Interesting that the city of Dallas is going the opposite direction. Plan from the DA is that theft of goods below $750 that were not for economic gain would not be prosecuted.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/11/...-level-crimes/
I thought that this was unbelievable until I read it for myself.

Quote from article: "He also said his office will no longer prosecute theft cases involving personal items worth less than $750, unless evidence shows it was for economic gain." [end quote]

Question: How is theft NOT for economic gain? (Even in the case of food or gas or something that is used or consumed right away, it is an economic gain because the thief didn't have to pay for it, so more money for him or her.)

Why not just post huge signs outside stores? "FREE ___________ " (whatever)

And maybe post billboard signs along the interstate in and just outside Dallas: "DALLAS WELCOMES THIEVES. Don't worry, most crimes will NOT be prosecuted (unless you get really greedy)."

Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Today there are people who travel following delivery vans to take packages from home delivery. Usually it’s a driver and passenger. Passenger jumps out to grab the package while the driver keeps the car running for a quick takeoff. These packages can sometime include medication. This is a plague that needs to be fought as hard as possible even if that includes felony charges and prison. If anyone has a problem with this being a felony then either they or someone they know is involved in this type of crime.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Today there are people who travel following delivery vans to take packages from home delivery. Usually it’s a driver and passenger. Passenger jumps out to grab the package while the driver keeps the car running for a quick takeoff. These packages can sometime include medication. This is a plague that needs to be fought as hard as possible even if that includes felony charges and prison. If anyone has a problem with this being a felony then either they or someone they know is involved in this type of crime.

There are also misguided people who have a bleeding heart. The try and find some excuse for why the person became a criminal and therefore its not their fault in their minds.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-21-2019 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events