Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Interestingly, Amazon drivers are now sending pictures of items delivered to the door in TX. Not sure if this is an attempt at minimizing their liability, or if it's coordinated with this legislation, but it just started this week:
It is to combat being accused of falsifying a scan to show a delivery when there was just a drive by to meet the time demand put on the driver by the supervisor. Often with nondeliveries there is your picture of it going to someone else's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 12:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Quote:
Interestingly, Amazon drivers are now sending pictures of items delivered to the door in TX. Not sure if this is an attempt at minimizing their liability, or if it's coordinated with this legislation, but it just started this week:
That's interesting. Each morning I get emailed pictures of any flat letter mail to be delivered to my mailbox that day via the USPS but, so far, only a notice of any packages to be delivered.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would think professionals would be smarter than to sell stolen goods online though. Ive seen numerous local theft cases where they catch the guy pretty quickly and easily, because he posted the stolen items up for sale online.

Maybe true for used and/or unique items but brand new stuff is indistinguishable and readily available for sale online.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:21 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That may be true for local Craigslist and Facebook Buy & Sell pages, but a lot of them put the stuff up on eBay.
Yes, plus a lot of the items stolen are run-of-the-mill stuff. If a package thief had stolen my shoes or my suitcase and then put those items up for sale on Craigslist, who'd have spotted them as stolen goods? They're not the sort of items that have serial numbers, and unlike jewelry (for example) they don't have some unique design or color that would make them stand out.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:04 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
That's interesting. Each morning I get emailed pictures of any flat letter mail to be delivered to my mailbox that day via the USPS but, so far, only a notice of any packages to be delivered.
Your letters have a picture taken of them when they run through the last machine placing them in route order. Packages are scanned into the delivery station and moved by hand to the carrier who loads and places pieces in route order in his truck. The sender has the information at that point and some do inform the receiver that it is coming that day.

Maybe at some point in the future people with informed delivery will get a supplementary message about additional pieces coming from the postal service directly instead of just their customer, the sender.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
These porch thieves take the packages home to their 3 br 2 car garage houses to store them until someone on ebay buys the product.

You're right, druggies wouldn't normally have the patience to sell smaller items that might take a month to get the money. IMO these are regular people stealing for a living from what I've seen.
I doubt that anyone is putting that much time and effort into reselling cheap Chinese trinkets. My guess is that about 80% of packages are worth less than $20-25. Of course that's the amount the home owner paid for it: the thief has to price things even lower AND has to put the time and effort into selling them.

What package thieves are doing is stealing 20-50 packages at a time and hoping that a couple or a handful of them will contain items of value, money, gift cards, or drugs. They probably aren't reading too many books. I imagine that many of them can tell by weight or by doing a little "shake test" how likely something is to contain valuables.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:34 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...c-f0342281eb1c
Any thief that will steal a candy bar with no repercussions will eventually steal things of more value.
I say this because I got caught stealing a candy bar when I was five years old. The humiliation of being forced by BOTH my parents to return that $.05 candy bar to the owner of the grocery store and having to apologize for my dishonesty and a promise to pay for it was one of the MOST valuable life lessons I could have learned. If I would not have been caught I am positive I would have continued on in my life of crime. At five I was too young to know right from wrong but I did know what humiliation was.

Does the concept of SHAME exist any longer?

Old 06-22-2019, 04:00 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
One way it might make a difference is that because package theft is now a felony charge in Texas, the police there now have some incentive to set up sting operations to nab the people who drive behind delivery vehicles to steal package after package after package. Before this change in the law, they didn't; any arrest made was simply not worth the time and effort they had to expend to make it.
That’s a good point!

Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,826 times
Quote:
Interestingly, Amazon drivers are now sending pictures of items delivered to the door in TX.
They've been doing that in CA for a while now, but it doesn't always work out. Just last week a neighbor on NextDoor posted a picture of her package on someone else's porch and asked if anyone recognized the porch. She didn't update the post to let us know if her package was returned.

Quote:
Does the concept of SHAME exist any longer?
No, now it's "cruel" and "inhumane" to call people out on bad behavior.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 PM

938 posts, read 446,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Why are you so concerned with what happens to these thieves, if you aren't one of them?

I say it's right on track. These thieves are scum-sucking dogs, and deserve plenty of prison time. At least once that we know about, they stole a kids $40,000 chemo meds prescription. Can you even try to imagine what a parent goes through to cover that sort of price to keep their kid alive, and insurance won't pay any of it?

https://www.news10.com/news/national...ys-chemo-meds/

I have NO sympathy for them at all. I hope they start nailing these people, and they get at least 15 years.
I agree.

The bleeding-hearts are sickening already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events