Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

The casual way package theft is just brushed aside by some people boggles my mind. It SHOULD be dealt with harshly for a multitude of reasons, not the least is it prevents an escalation of what crimes people are willing to accept as "not that big a deal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The casual way package theft is just brushed aside by some people boggles my mind. It SHOULD be dealt with harshly for a multitude of reasons, not the least is it prevents an escalation of what crimes people are willing to accept as "not that big a deal".
I agree. The thief, stepping onto someone's private property and stealing a package, doesn't know whether it's a $15 used book or $1500 in something else. They're hoping for the latter. Either way, it IS a big deal. It's creepy. It's an intrusion. It's theft.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:11 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If someone steals a package thats been sent via the U.S.P.S., it's a federal felony no matter what state you're in, and it's been that way for a long time.

This is why I make every effort to have all my packages delivered by U.S.P.S. I receive mail in a neighborhood cluster-box with locks and there's two large package compartments. I've even received a couple of fairly expensive cameras this way. It's much better than waiting and watching all afternoon, trying to beat the thieves to a package dumped on my porch, by one of the private carriers.

Thankfully, although I recently had a new computer and monitor delivered by UPS, they required my signature and I was informed of that on the order confirmation.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:54 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...c-f0342281eb1c
No different than Postal theft. It's in response to the new attitude in America where petty theft no longer gets a police response in many cities, and some are brought up told that they don't have to comply with a lawful order. Know any of these types?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
That's a different thing, and yes, that rises to a level of felony.

What makes theft a felony or a misdemeanor depends on the value of the item. And also, the aggression with which it was taken. A wallet stolen at knifepoint is a different crime from a wallet quietly stolen from a shopping cart.

Do you mean decriminalizing pot? And are those who are in prison for marijuana related crimes automatically pardoned when pot becomes legal?

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure.

BTW, my dad was on chemo drugs about that expensive, and he'd sit and wait for them to arrive by mail. Somehow, he was unable to get them delivered requiring a signature, they were just left on the porch and he'd have to watch for them. Even when he offered to pay the cost of the increased postage. Nuts.

But the thing is, I don't think we can just keep making more and more crimes felonies, and upcharging suspects way beyond the spirit of the laws. I don't want people in prison, which ruins their chances of being self-supporting when they get out, for stealing a book off my porch.

There needs to be a better way to deliver very expensive items than leaving them sitting on someone's porch. It's just as likely they could be lost through a delivery error - items of felony level value deserve more care than that.
Stop! Criminal scum should be behind bars. You're being an enabler.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:55 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And of course most people are going to be mindful on delivery days when an expensive item is expected to arrive, but this scum follows delivery vehicles and grabs stuff up minutes after it's placed on the porch.
I think that's what's behind the new Texas law. Package theft off of a porch used to be rare, and when it happened it was probably done by one of the neighborhood kids. But with the rise of online shopping there's been a concurrent rise in organized adult thieves who are specializing in package theft. They're not stealing a package here and there; they're following the delivery vehicle around and stealing every package it drops off. That's a more serious level of theft, and it deserves a more serious level of punishment.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think that's what's behind the new Texas law. Package theft off of a porch used to be rare, and when it happened it was probably done by one of the neighborhood kids. But with the rise of online shopping there's been a concurrent rise in organized adult thieves who are specializing in package theft. They're not stealing a package here and there; they're following the delivery vehicle around and stealing every package it drops off. That's a more serious level of theft, and it deserves a more serious level of punishment.
Yes, and that can be dealt with through the laws in existence already, without creating a brand new felony.

Theft of a large number of items is a felony. Theft of one $15 hasn't been a felony, and shouldn't be one now.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

120 posts, read 65,223 times
I am okay with that. This law protects the industry from declining and negative press too. I do not shop online because I like to touch what I am buying. I am not into shipping back and forth. That is often more time consuming then driving to the store.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I agree. The thief, stepping onto someone's private property and stealing a package, doesn't know whether it's a $15 used book or $1500 in something else. They're hoping for the latter. Either way, it IS a big deal. It's creepy. It's an intrusion. It's theft.
Agreed - and if the people of Texas want to change their laws to make package theft a felony, I am fine with that. Don't want to become a convicted felon? Then don't go up onto people's property and steal packages left there. Package theft is hardly something that happens by accident.

The onus shouldn't be on the law-abiding to lock down everything of value that they own. The onus should be on people not to steal. Becoming a thief is a deliberate choice, and it's a choice we should punish severely. It is NOT a petty crime, even if the item stolen is of little monetary value.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
I really don't understand this. A felony is an egregious act, that comes with very serious consequences.

Package theft of items that sometimes are virtually worthless does NOT rise to the level of a felony. We are blurring the lines between petty crimes, and serious ones that need to be dealt with seriously.

Really? I order a book from Amazon for 15 bucks, and if someone takes it it's a FELONY punishable by up to 10 years in prison and 10,000 fine?

We've lost our way.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...c-f0342281eb1c
With all I've read about TX, I think IT should be outlawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events