Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2019, 07:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, that's why I suggested intentional. Negligence to me equals accidental. He lifts her up and over on purpose--
But perhaps I don't quite understand the legal terms.
It would be intentional (homicide) if he lifted her with the intent of dropping her. If he lifted her with the intent of showing her the view or letting her bang on the glass, then it’s negligence (or recklessness imo).

He intentionally lifted her, that was the act, but his state of mind as to why he lifted her matters for the charge.

Imo he did not intend to kill her.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:37 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can you post a link to the second video you watched? The only one I've seen is this one, and it's very difficult to see what's going on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ip-window.html
Watch this again. At the 40-41 second mark, you see him pick her up and lift her high, and it looks as if he's shooting a basket with her as the ball.

That's not what's happening, though. He's apparently lifting her up and putting her on a rail or something that we can't see.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
After watching the video, it is clear he was careless on purpose. The drop may have been unintended but he took no steps to make sure she wouldn't have dropped. If the drop was intentional, I would add another motivation: he didn't want to be her babysitter during his vacation.
So he thinks he's going to get to continue his vacation after he KILLS her?

Even though I wasn't there and have absolutely no evidence to back up my suspicions, I do think alcohol and the poor judgment it brings may have been involved.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:34 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I don't think it's reasonable to believe he did it maliciously. To do something like this, intentionally, in such a public arena? It's a big stretch. It's absolutely reasonable to believe that he was impaired in some way.

I feel for the parents. I think it's ridiculous to sue but I blame that largely on grandpa. He's victimizing them again by refusing to accept blame. It just makes the whole situation that much worse.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:42 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Reminds me of a couple of male relatives who did that when I was small. They wouldn’t let up until I was crying in terror.

There ARE adults who are deeply resentful of children who are always the focus of attention in mixed company and will try to hurt or terrorize them if they think they can get away with it. It could just be my personal history talking but I think that’s what happened here.
Yes, there are people who behave in this manner.

Another thought: Maybe things are not so happy in his marriage. People have been known to kill children to hurt their spouse, grandparents, and other family members. It is possible he acted in anger and resentment to hurt his wife and/or her daughter. He created an "accident" so he would not be held culpable in her death.

Who knows. But it does appear to be an intentional act. The attorney admitted GrandPa let go of her. The initial report claimed he dangled her. Video evidence seems to support that contention. Why would you let go of a baby you are dangling out a window?

The videos are shocking and sad. It is far worse than I imagined.

I am shocked that the family is standing by him. I would not and I am a very loyal person by nature.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:02 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
But I think the vast majority of those cases take steps to make sure they get away with it without actually showing they physically hurt you. In other words, you walk away alive because they worked within certain boundaries. I am not so sure that is what happened here. What he did was sloppy.
Not to mention in front of witnesses.

Did anyone notice in the video filmed from the side, it almost looks like he is holding onto the window frame or sill with his right arm, while hanging her out the window. This made it seem to me that he might have only been holding her with one arm, his left.

It was just something I noticed in the color videos, the one with the weird puppet head host.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It would be intentional (homicide) if he lifted her with the intent of dropping her. If he lifted her with the intent of showing her the view or letting her bang on the glass, then it’s negligence (or recklessness imo).

He intentionally lifted her, that was the act, but his state of mind as to why he lifted her matters for the charge.

Imo he did not intend to kill her.
I think with the videos we can eliminate the "banging on glass" scenario.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:07 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
Anyone who has held a toddler knows they can suddenly squirm and jerk. Someone not used to that might be surprised and lose their grip. Holding her over the edge is irresponsible but he could have possibly thought he had a good grip and there was no danger, until the surprise movement,

I wonder what his experience was with small children.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to believe he did it maliciously. To do something like this, intentionally, in such a public arena? It's a big stretch. It's absolutely reasonable to believe that he was impaired in some way.

I feel for the parents. I think it's ridiculous to sue but I blame that largely on grandpa. He's victimizing them again by refusing to accept blame. It just makes the whole situation that much worse.
Totally agree. And even if there was by some chance malicious intent, it would be pretty hard to prove, unless GF broke down and confessed.

You're right, he is victimizing the parents and the rest of the family again. I think without his exclamations about thinking the window was closed, all of the interviews and the family's proclaiming their intent to sue and stating over and over that the area wasn't safe, and not to mention that sleazy lawyer, this would have been just a sad story that would have faded away when the next big story came along.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:21 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Not to mention in front of witnesses.

Did anyone notice in the video filmed from the side, it almost looks like he is holding onto the window frame or sill with his right arm, while hanging her out the window. This made it seem to me that he might have only been holding her with one arm, his left.

It was just something I noticed in the color videos, the one with the weird puppet head host.
Yes, I noticed that too; that he wasn't holding her with both arms, only his left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events