Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 07:44 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

The man holding the doll on the window sill has his arms bent at a sharp angle. Does it look like he would need "extraordinarily long arms" to dangle the doll out the window? No, he would only need to move the doll one inch forward.

Bottom line, as has been said many times, it's absurd to think anyone could hold a child on the sill of an open window for over half a minute without realizing the window was open. It's equally absurd that a reasonable person would think it was safe to lift a child up over a safety rail.

If someone wants to believe Grandpa was of sound mind and under the impression the window was shut all that time and that the child could not come to any harm--because they want to believe in the goodness of humanity--fine, but don't expect the rest of the world or any jury to come to the same conclusion.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The man holding the doll on the window sill has his arms bent at a sharp angle. Does it look like he would need "extraordinarily long arms" to dangle the doll out the window? No, he would only need to move the doll one inch forward.

Bottom line, as has been said many times, it's absurd to think anyone could hold a child on the sill of an open window for over half a minute without realizing the window was open. It's equally absurd that a reasonable person would think it was safe to lift a child up over a safety rail.

If someone wants to believe Grandpa was of sound mind and under the impression the window was shut all that time and that the child could not come to any harm--because they want to believe in the goodness of humanity--fine, but don't expect the rest of the world or any jury to come to the same conclusion.
I also would like to know if he was drinking. This happened after 4pm, he very well could have been sucking up alcohol for the last few hours.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:01 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This family is getting more ridiculous by the day. All their little onboard experiment shows is that Anello had to place Chloe over a rather wide gap and block to get to the window - the railing. So she was placed OVER the railing, which is obviously there as a safety measure, and it still isn’t grandpa’s fault. He basically stood her on the window sill and their defense is “there should have been warning the windows open!” Yeah ok. Because THAT was the problem.

They need to shut the f up already.

Dailymail but they’ve been covering this pretty well - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...opped-her.html Some good pics showing the window and railing area.
Just read that this morning

He had to really reach out to put her on the window. And IMO it would be impossible to not know that the window was open.

And why that window? He probably wanted her to feel the breeze and then whoops!

And why was he in charge of looking after the child? He isn't even a blood relative. Where is the maternal grandma and paternal grandparents? The mom and dad??

Old 01-24-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The 57-year-old medic could race down the pier toward the fallen child but the 51-year-old grandpa is "elderly." Oh, brother.

And how is it that the video shows Grandpa's entire upper body leaning over the railing when the guy doing the re-enactment can barely get his head past it? Something's wrong with this picture.
I can't believe he is 51 either. But he is very out of shape. Huge belly. The guy they used to simulate the incident doesn't even come close to his body shape.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:02 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I also would like to know if he was drinking. This happened after 4pm, he very well could have been sucking up alcohol for the last few hours.

Yeah, his refusing a breathalyzer test makes me think there was some drinking. people buy an alcohol package for unlimited/extensive drinking, so chances are he wanted to start availing himself of that.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yeah, his refusing a breathalyzer test makes me think there was some drinking. people buy an alcohol package for unlimited/extensive drinking, so chances are he wanted to start availing himself of that.
Wonder if they smelt alcohol on his breath but could not make him take a test?

Old 01-24-2020, 11:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I think the rumor that he refused a breathalyzer has been debunked.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Just read that this morning

He had to really reach out to put her on the window. And IMO it would be impossible to not know that the window was open.

And why that window? He probably wanted her to feel the breeze and then whoops!

And why was he in charge of looking after the child? He isn't even a blood relative. Where is the maternal grandma and paternal grandparents? The mom and dad??
The whole family was within yards of where this happened. If you watch the beginning of the video, you can see her toddle across the room, and he follows her. The rest of the family is within easy shouting distance.

Even if she were in his care, do we limit caregivers of children to blood relatives? They certainly had a very close, loving relationship prior to this tragedy.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:59 AM

129 posts, read 82,350 times
I was one of the much earlier posters who said it looked like Grandpa tossed the baby out of the window. That is what the initial video made me think, but after I saw all of the videos a couple more times I don't think he intentionally murdered her. At least I don't want to think it. I can only imagine he was playing a little too rough, and playfully scooped her up in to look out of the window, probably both of them over-excited about the ship and the vacation. Maybe he was drinking, maybe not. But they were both excited about the surroundings and he was showing her how high up they were and the other ships in the port and the buildings, etc. and he just didn't realize that his grip was not that good. She wiggled because she was so excited... and there she went. I'm of course guessing about all of this but my son was a wiggler and I never in a million years would have held him or let him sit/stand on a ledge or railing or on a windowsill 11 stories in the air.

At this point the family cannot admit the truth. They have gone all-in on blaming the cruise ship company and cannot walk away from the drama. I still think that if they and their lawyers had not pursued a lawsuit and negative press storm, the grandpa would not be charged with a crime. But the family and the grandpa would not or could not accept the fault and had to go on the offense immediately.

I'm sure there are multiple cameras on the dock, but any of them that would have a view of the 11th floor of the ship would be set so far back that the details would be so tiny and a court case could not be decided just on that camera view. And a few people have criticized the cruise ship company for releasing the interior video... but from what I understand it was leaked by someone with connections to the Puerto Rico police or court system.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Where did the "34 seconds" come from? Is the video we've seen an edited one that chopped about 32 seconds out? Because in the video I saw, it seems just a couple seconds after GP picked up the little girl that he dropped her.
Edited video. The original leaked video showed grampa hanging out the window for quite a bit of time, maybe 30-45 seconds, then he stoops and picks up baby and hangs her from the window for about 34 seconds where he then drops to the floor crying. As to drinking. Royal Carribean will know that as they scan your sea card for every drink you get whether you are on a package or paying individually for them. The time of purchase will be on the scan as will the drink. This will all come out in court unless they drop the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events