Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The whole family was within yards of where this happened. If you watch the beginning of the video, you can see her toddle across the room, and he follows her. The rest of the family is within easy shouting distance.

Even if she were in his care, do we limit caregivers of children to blood relatives? They certainly had a very close, loving relationship prior to this tragedy.
How do we know they had a close loving relationship? Is that something the family said?

And as for caregivers - there were 5 or 6 adult blood relatives in the trip. They were all too busy to watch the child?

Old 01-24-2020, 12:53 PM

Just read another article that states there are 13 cameras in the area.

The family from Granger, Indiana, accuses Royal Caribbean of creating “a false narrative" by including surveillance video stills from only two of 13 cameras in the area where the girl fell about 150 feet to her death. The family has filed a motion seeking to force the cruise line to release video from all 13 cameras.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How do we know they had a close loving relationship? Is that something the family said?

And as for caregivers - there were 5 or 6 adult blood relatives in the trip. They were all too busy to watch the child?
Yes, he was her step grandpa. In an interview the parents said that he’d let her bang on the glass at her brother’s hockey games, which I take to mean they’re involved grandparents who attend their grandkids’ events and are responsible for the kids and entertaining them. They went on vacation together, he was watching her, it suggests they’re a tight knit family. They have shared pictures of the two together. Dad said “she was his best friend.” - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...d47e8f9743f1ad (I hope that link works - I hate google amp but am on mobile right now)

The fact that he’s not blood related doesn’t mean anything. I think he loved that kid he just did a really dumb thing and now no one in the family can accept his responsibility in what happened.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Just read another article that states there are 13 cameras in the area.

The family from Granger, Indiana, accuses Royal Caribbean of creating “a false narrative" by including surveillance video stills from only two of 13 cameras in the area where the girl fell about 150 feet to her death. The family has filed a motion seeking to force the cruise line to release video from all 13 cameras.
Never understood how that was supposed to work. There's supposed to be a camera angle where his actions look better?

Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Never understood how that was supposed to work. There's supposed to be a camera angle where his actions look better?
Well, yes, IMHO.

If the outside camera shows his head did NOT cross the plane of the window, and he never stuck his head through the window space, nor did he dangle the baby through the window space, that would make a difference to me.

What switched me from being on the fence about whether grandpa knew the window was open was the video the cruise produced that showed he apparently leaned out the window before picking the baby up, and then dangled her out the window before losing his grip.

If, as the family states, that is misleading video and he did not, in fact, put his head through the window opening, I'm back to square one. On the fence.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:37 PM

I also did not know that the little girl's mom was a lawyer. I knew her dad was a police officer.

Would that make a difference in how they handled this?

Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, yes, IMHO.

If the outside camera shows his head did NOT cross the plane of the window, and he never stuck his head through the window space, nor did he dangle the baby through the window space, that would make a difference to me.

What switched me from being on the fence about whether grandpa knew the window was open was the video the cruise produced that showed he apparently leaned out the window before picking the baby up, and then dangled her out the window before losing his grip.

If, as the family states, that is misleading video and he did not, in fact, put his head through the window opening, I'm back to square one. On the fence.
<shrug> As regards the criminal case, evidence of Grandpa's knowledge of the window can speak to whether he's negligent vs. reckless.

As regards the civil suit, Royal Caribbean's responsibility? Doesn't change a thing. The standard applied is "reasonable person", and a reasonable person is expected to identify open windows and act accordingly. The child was perfectly safe right until the adult in charge nullified the barrier between her and the drop.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-24-2020 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 02:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
I also did not know that the little girl's mom was a lawyer. I knew her dad was a police officer.

Would that make a difference in how they handled this?
As a lawyer she has easy access to a whole network of other lawyers who can help her out and she also may have a general understanding of tort law (if she doesn’t practice it) to be able to really understand her options. I think it plays a role but not a huge one.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As a lawyer she has easy access to a whole network of other lawyers who can help her out and she also may have a general understanding of tort law (if she doesn’t practice it) to be able to really understand her options. I think it plays a role but not a huge one.
May not be as useful as she thinks. I'm not a lawyer, but I do know lawyers who go to sea - and they consider maritime law an area where you really can't assume that conventional legal wisdom transfers, at all. (I know one who wants to enter the field, and she is - no joke - looking to get her 100 ton Coast Guard Master's License - in effect, professional captain's credentials - as a step towards that. It's that much of a niche.)

Old 01-24-2020, 03:06 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I guess one of those cameras will clearly show the GF did not place the child over the handrail? Because in my opinion that is the only thing that matters. The handrails are a safety device, the GF violated this safety device by placing the child over it.

Scary to think the father is a cop, his perception is so screwed up I do not have much faith in his ability to conduct his job properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events