Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It may look different from inside, there may be no tinting on the inside. Depending on lighting and angle of view, it may not look like that photo. Seems like it didn't because both grandpa and the baby thought it looked like glass.
The pictures and videos shared are from the inside. There is tinting.

Why are people fighting this? lol It’s so obvious from every photo and video I’ve seen what windows are open. If someone has a vision problem that would be their issue.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
The version I heard on our local news this morning was that the grandfather sat the toddler on the ledge by the window, but didn't realize that someone had opened that window, or that there was an 11 story drop out the windows.

This according to the grandfather's attorney, who was also shown saying that the when the grandfather sat the kid on the ledge, he assumed the baby would just pound on the window, as she and her sibs are wont to do at attractions they attend.

They also mentioned that the family is blaming the cruise line's company for the accident, claiming the company was negligent in putting windows there that could be opened. Guess they are planning to sue the deep pockets.

Hard for me to understand how anyone could miss an open window, but regardless of what happened, it was a tragedy, the loss of a child so young in a senseless accident. My condolences to the family, though I have to cast a somewhat cynical eye towards their blaming the cruiseline and their plans to shake down the company over this terrible event.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why can't you sue?

I do know lots of businesses make you sign something saying you won't sue, but that doesn't hold in court. It just intimidates people and makes them think they can't sue.

edited to add: A quick google search turns up innumerable threads about cruise line lawsuits, and there are apparently whole law firms who do nothing but that.
You actually can sue. It is just almost impossible to win. When you purchase your cruise 'ticket' you basically sign away your life.

You know the only people who ever when against cruise lines? The attorneys. There are unethical attorneys all over South Florida who take these cases to milk the plaintiff.

There are maritime law firms all over South Florida but they will not touch cruise ship suits. It is a waste of their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yeah, shouldn't they be busy grieving and making funeral arrangements and maybe getting psychiatric help, especially for the grandfather, to help him deal with his negligence causing his garndchild's death? Seems like the case would still be valid a month from now---why the rush for an attorney?
I would imagine that the attorney is acting as spokesperson for the family and not neccessarily in a legal manner.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
It may look different from inside, there may be no tinting on the inside. Depending on lighting and angle of view, it may not look like that photo. Seems like it didn't because both grandpa and the baby thought it looked like glass.
The windows are tinted blue on the inside.

I would not expect a baby to understand the dangers of an open window.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There was a picture posted of what it looks like with just one window open. It's very obvious that one window is open as the rest are tinted blue.

The windows are the exact same all around the pool deck, which is the entire outside area. They are all sliding glass windows that are tinted blue with a railing a few inches away from the wall.

https://content.invisioncic.com/j283...15252dba84.JPG
I expected it to look A LOT more obvious. With all that blue sky and blue water and blue tinted window one area that is a slightly lighter shade of blue may not be readily apparent (especially close up). It isn't like every closed window is blue and behind the open window you see a shockingly different colored brown mountain and bright green trees and grass, everything is blue.

I am not condoning what happened, but if you were there in person even areas of shadows cause by cloud or brighter rays of sunshine may have effected what you saw. Seeing that photograph, with the blue sky and blue water, makes me even more sure that it was just a tragic, stupid accident.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I expected it to look A LOT more obvious. With all that blue sky and blue water and blue tinted window one area that is a slightly lighter shade of blue may not be readily apparent (especially close up). It isn't like every closed window is blue and behind the open window you see a shockingly different colored brown mountain and bright green trees and grass, everything is blue.

I am not condoning what happened, but if you were there in person even areas of shadows cause by cloud or brighter rays of sunshine may have effected what you saw. Seeing that photograph, with the blue sky and blue water, makes me even more sure that it was just a tragic, stupid accident.
They were in port when the accident happened, looking out into the city, not out at sea like in the picture. The picture just shows what the tinted windows look like when one is open.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Sometimes accidents happen and no one is criminally negligent.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:37 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The windows are tinted blue on the inside.

I would not expect a baby to understand the dangers of an open window.

That's what parents are for.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:40 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The pictures and videos shared are from the inside. There is tinting.

Why are people fighting this? lol It’s so obvious from every photo and video I’ve seen what windows are open. If someone has a vision problem that would be their issue.
So you think he knew it was open but put her in front of it to bang on the glass anyway???? You do not know what that window looked like to them from the angle they were at. Obviously it looked like glass to the baby too since she gestured to get up and bang on it.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
So you think he knew it was open but put her in front of it to bang on the glass anyway???? You do not know what that window looked like to them from the angle they were at. Obviously it looked like glass to the baby too since she gestured to get up and bang on it.
Or they made up a story that worked in getting public sympathy.

I think he was stupid, and put a baby on a railing in front of an open window to show her the view. Babies don't typically care about the view. They also don't fully understand glass vs no glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events