Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM

4,353 posts, read 2,261,497 times

Advertisements

If she ran away and was pursued, then tracks left by two people should be looked for.

And eliminate any possible staged tracks by the husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 AM

23,917 posts, read 33,745,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
There was a message from GoFundMe posted on daughter's facebook page saying it could take 3-7 days to issue all the refunds.

Not sure that's still there. Think she took down everything about her mother.
Well, it didn't take that long. Go fund me probably expedited it due to the interest in the case. I figured that last $1,000 was anonymous people but I guess it just took longer to refund the last bit.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sheryl made it sound like the man was hot on her heels all day since she supposedly kept fleeing for hours. His only way out was to return to the campground, his car, and the road. If it was more than two hours after the incident, the deputies would have spoken to him along with the other campers. Of course, at that time they didn't have a description of anyone they were looking for other than her, but they or other people there would have remembered later if a man who was burly, bald, etc., had suddenly showed up.
Sheryl did say she thought he was following her but I took that as an assumption on her part, not that she actually saw him following her ALL day. But, heck, maybe he's still out there wandering around lost himself!

I'm not really sure at what point LEO talked to other campers. It was also reported that they were using loud speakers to call to her. Whether they sat at her campsite doing that or drove around......I dunno.

If he existed seems to me he had plenty of time to get out of the campground before any kind of serious effort was focused on an abductor scenario.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM

14,409 posts, read 11,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sheryl did say she thought he was following her but I took that as an assumption on her part, not that she actually saw him following her ALL day. But, heck, maybe he's still out there wandering around lost himself!
In a day or two a haggard bald man will come staggering into the campground with a story of being chased by a crazed older woman so deep into the wilderness that it took him a week to find his way out!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:52 AM

11,218 posts, read 9,847,425 times
If he actually grabbed her arm and scratched her with his nails as she has said, then there could easily have been enough epithelial cells for them to swab from the wounds and get a DNA profile of her alleged attacker. I just think the whole thing sounds so ignorant. They say she's an experienced hiker, but she runs for what must have been hours away from someone in the desert? It's not like there is heavy tree cover to cause her to lose her sense of direction. Did she run towards, or away from, the setting sun? Downhill? Past any obvious landmarks? Up and down several hills? Did she hide and try to see if he was following her? Upon finding a spring with good water, why did she not just stay there and wait for rescue? Pretty much EVERY experienced hiker knows that continuing to move around only exacerbates efforts to find you. Anybody remember that the rule is to hug a tree? When she saw helicopters, did she move out into the open? try to find higher, clearer ground to make herself easier to see? Did she take off her shirt or pants and wave them to try to signal them? None of the story makes sense.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In a day or two a haggard bald man will come staggering into the campground with a story of being chased by a crazed older woman so deep into the wilderness that it took him a week to find his way out!
That's hilarious!!

Old 07-18-2019, 12:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,609,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think they were in search of an appropriate tent site; this wasn't a cordoned off area with numbered and marked tent pads.

So he parked the car on the road so they could scout the area together. When they located a site they wanted to use, he walked the very short distance to the car to repark it so they could pitch camp, while she stayed under the tree at the site to stay cool.

Or anyway, that's what'd been described early on.

So the question at this point is: Why didn't she just stay there under the tree with the dog.

I'm not usually this skeptical, there are reasons for everything. But not this story -- which is out of sync with normalcy.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM

6,484 posts, read 9,867,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So the question at this point is: Why didn't she just stay there under the tree with the dog.

I'm not usually this skeptical, there are reasons for everything. But not this story -- which is out of sync with normalcy.
Have you not read the story about the dog and having to pee? The guy chasing her?

Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,876 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:

She said she had to pee, so she went behind the rock.

I share your skepticism, but I'm kind of tempering it now with "well, what if it DID happen the way she says?" Because truly, maybe it did. Which would make her a very strange woman, but not a liar.

I just don't know.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:

She said she wanted to take the dog to pee, she had to pee and she also wasn't familiar with the campground and wanted to take a look at the area surrounding the campsite to see what hiking options were available to them for later.

One thing is consistent about her...…….she does not like to stand still and stay put in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events