Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 11:59 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think the thing I worry about the most is people panicking. Folks making it worse than it already will be. We just need to hunker down and play smart, it will pass.
Yes. Panic doesn't help. Stocking up on non-perishables and necessary prescription medications and preparing for school closures and business closures does.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:01 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
By the way, Beijing China is the host for 2022 Winter Olympics.
By 2022 the worst of this should be over (knock on wood).

Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think the thing I worry about the most is people panicking. Folks making it worse than it already will be. We just need to hunker down and play smart, it will pass.

I have the same amount of fear as someone who panics the day they figured out they got a big problem.. I just spread it out over a few months and deal with the problem by calmly addressing it every day.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:23 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvergaetira View Post
I'm slightly nervous about all this. We're planning on going to Greece in late June. I'm hoping it burns out by then. That said, in the midst of a pandemic, a vacation is a minor concern...a first world problem. Human life is much more important. I think my biggest fear about that would be getting quarantined abroad and worrying about getting back to my dog. She'll be boarding at her daycare/vet, but I'd want to get back to her asap.
I have an uncle who has been traveling to The Phillippines from the US and back once a quarter. He kind of plays it all down, but to me, the biggest risk wouldn't necessarily be getting the coronavirus there, but being stuck in a quarantine or ended up in some sort of major travel disruption where it could take weeks to get back.

I was considering a trip from Tennessee to the West Coast this summer. I'm definitely not booking airfare right now.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:32 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Yeah, if we need to hunker down, I'd rather do so at my home...not away from my family on a business trip.

My hope, if it does hit the US, is that is stays rather regional. At least then it will be somewhat manageable vs the entire country affected all at once.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 02-25-2020 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 12:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
I don't think the virus can survive Asian summer.

In Wuhan, the temperature is above 30 C almost every day from late May to early September.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:52 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I dunno, and I usually shy away from too much speculation, but in this case, I will indulge.

I think the WHO and CDC are dragging their feet on declaring a pandemic. Their explanation (seemed to me), to be splitting hairs. Though hair splitting may be pertinent.

The article said there is not a pandemic at this time, but a bunch of mini epidemics in various countries. Sounds like political speak to me.

BUT, they have started saying we need to start making preparations on a government and personal level. I'm glad they did, and they were receiving flak for not doing so sooner.

I feel like this is a boil the frog situation.

I am sure that a lot of consideration goes into this, as we've seen the increase in the warnings, and the decrease in the stock market. Guessing some world leaders didn't even want this little to be said publicly.

I it most certainly a balancing act.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2020, 12:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think the virus can survive Asian summer.

In Wuhan, the temperature is above 30 C almost every day from late May to early September.
How come? Don't you know that viruses love humid warm air?

Old 02-25-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How come? Don't you know that viruses love humid warm air?

I have seen reports that the flu does not like it. However I am closely going to monitor how it goes as the sun rises in the northern hemisphere. I think vitamin D is a big player in flu season and I image the same may apply here.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I dunno, and I usually shy away from too much speculation, but in this case, I will indulge.

I think the WHO and CDC are dragging their feet on declaring a pandemic. Their explanation (seemed to me), to be splitting hairs. Though hair splitting may be pertinent.

The article said there is not a pandemic at this time, but a bunch of mini epidemics in various countries. Sounds like political speak to me.

BUT, they have started saying we need to start making preparations on a government and personal level. I'm glad they did, and they were receiving flak for not doing so sooner.

I feel like this is a boil the frog situation.

I am sure that a lot of consideration goes into this, as we've seen the increase in the warnings, and the decrease in the stock market. Guessing some world leaders didn't even want this little to be said publicly.

I it most certainly a balancing act.

What would I do in this position? We look at the cost of not being forth coming as an individual. Probably the most dangerous one on not being transparent is losing the trust and authenticity of the authority. Yet they do have to manage panic, and the herd. Letting the strata of society figure it out form themselves does make preparation more orderly. The paranoid stock up fist , followed by the worried, then the concerned, then well timed rational actors, until all that remains are those the rest of us might consider envying most of the time , those living in blissful ignorance.

Also, as a herd managing chess player ,one may want to actually allow infection to have subjects. As compensation people may be the lucky ones who will get the best of care. They will help to develop the protocols. Zero infected would be worse. That is why I was agreeable with repatriating infected citizens. So risking an early infection is quite rational on many levels. Carry on with life so long as the risk is low and the facilities are available. If the hard peak overruns, then all measures must be taken without reservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events