Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 13,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
This is what is driving me crazy. Who is running the show? Why isn't there a strict protocol?

It's so ... lackadaisical & inconsistent. I have 3 daughters on 2 different college campuses!

I have masks & gloves, good drinking water, fish oil, Vitamin A & C & Elderberry Syrup. I am going out tomorrow during the Superbowl while the stores are empty & stocking up with food & a humidifier.

I'm not counting on the CDC to give (or get) any sense of direction with this in the near future.
I wrote a report on the SARS virus back in 2003. Some issues have not been clarified for laypeople. The typical surgical mask protects the environment from the user. It does not protect the user from the environment. It does not filter viral particles that are 0.3 to 0.03 microns in diameter. Gloves are fine but as soon as you touch anything that might contain viable virus, you have the same issue as if you were not wearing gloves. As a physician, we wear gloves when examining a patient that might be infectious and then we dispose of these potentially contaminated gloves in a proper receptacle. A key issue is whether a respirator mask can filter viruses. Some claim to filter particles down to 0.003 microns. But when I have asked for scientific documentation concerning this, I have yet to receive anything, even a simple email telling me that no documentation is available. I cannot find any review of respirator masks on Consumer Reports. I have written to experts in this field but they will not commit to suggesting a particular brand name of respiratory mask.

There may be value in black elderberry, Echinacea and glycyrrhiza as anti-virals. But I cannot find peer-reviewed literature on anti-viral activity against 2019-nCoV or any coronavirus (e.g., SARS, MERS).
It would be valuable to know what anti-viral study drug that patient in the New England J of Medicine report received. I have that article and will need to re-read it and see if any info is related. I use and am familiar with many supplements (nutraceuticals). There are not peer-reviewed papers on the value of fish oil, Vit C or A against any viral infection.

For sure, this is an epidemic in China. The real question is whether or not it will turn out to be a pandemic.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstrum View Post
I wrote a report on the SARS virus back in 2003. Some issues have not been clarified for laypeople. The typical surgical mask protects the environment from the user. It does not protect the user from the environment. It does not filter viral particles that are 0.3 to 0.03 microns in diameter. Gloves are fine but as soon as you touch anything that might contain viable virus, you have the same issue as if you were not wearing gloves. As a physician, we wear gloves when examining a patient that might be infectious and then we dispose of these potentially contaminated gloves in a proper receptacle. A key issue is whether a respirator mask can filter viruses. Some claim to filter particles down to 0.003 microns. But when I have asked for scientific documentation concerning this, I have yet to receive anything, even a simple email telling me that no documentation is available. I cannot find any review of respirator masks on Consumer Reports. I have written to experts in this field but they will not commit to suggesting a particular brand name of respiratory mask.

There may be value in black elderberry, Echinacea and glycyrrhiza as anti-virals. But I cannot find peer-reviewed literature on anti-viral activity against 2019-nCoV or any coronavirus (e.g., SARS, MERS).
It would be valuable to know what anti-viral study drug that patient in the New England J of Medicine report received. I have that article and will need to re-read it and see if any info is related. I use and am familiar with many supplements (nutraceuticals). There are not peer-reviewed papers on the value of fish oil, Vit C or A against any viral infection.

For sure, this is an epidemic in China. The real question is whether or not it will turn out to be a pandemic.
The investigational drug he received is remdesivir. He improved within hours of receiving it, but of course the question is whether he was already getting better anyway.

There is evidence for efficacy in animal studies against MERS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...R%20Remdesivir

And other human coronaviruses:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...993?via%3Dihub

Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The investigational drug he received is remdesivir. He improved within hours of receiving it, but of course the question is whether he was already getting better anyway.

There is evidence for efficacy in animal studies against MERS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...R%20Remdesivir

And other human coronaviruses:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...993?via%3Dihub
Thank you Suzy; that is very helpful. There are 7 coronaviruses that can affect humans. The article that Suzy referred to above apparently has efficacy against 229E and OC43. I would think that the Chinese might be testing Remdesivir in newly diagnosed cases to assess the efficacy of this anti-viral agent.

Common human coronaviruses
229E (alpha coronavirus)
NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
OC43 (beta coronavirus)
HKU1 (beta coronavirus)

Other human coronaviruses
MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Old 02-01-2020, 10:47 PM

Default Link to Article on Remdesivir

This is a link to the article that Suzy found on the antiviral remdesivir:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufls5r4hz...8rOYozb5a?dl=0

Old 02-02-2020, 02:28 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times
First death from coronavirus outside China is in the Philippines.
"Officials in the Philippines are racing to identify people who had contact with a 44-year-old man who has become the first person to die from the new coronavirus outside China.

The man, who was from Wuhan, the centre of the outbreak in China, had visited three provinces after arriving in the Philippines from Hong Kong.

He had been travelling with a 38-year-old woman, who was the first person in the Philippines confirmed last week to have the virus. She remains in isolation in hospital in Manila, but is no longer experiencing symptoms."
https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...-outside-china

Old 02-02-2020, 05:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Like I said, I won't be hanging out with anyone from Wuhan.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Quote:
This is what is driving me crazy. Who is running the show? Why isn't there a strict protocol?
Quote:
It's so ... lackadaisical & inconsistent. I have 3 daughters on 2 different college campuses!

I have masks & gloves, good drinking water, fish oil, Vitamin A & C & Elderberry Syrup. I am going out tomorrow during the Superbowl while the stores are empty & stocking up with food & a humidifier.

I'm not counting on the CDC to give (or get) any sense of direction with this in the near future.
Yep. And multiple posters made fun of me for suggesting that medical professionals follow criteria and protocol when assessing and tracking patients.

You know who you are. Hostess snack cakes.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:12 AM

21,912 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Can someone post that official site link with the heat map? I can't find it anywhere.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:37 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstrum View Post
It's like taking Vitamin C for a cold. Does it work, maybe or not but when you have nothing it does not hurt to give it a shot.

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/...19919722463233

Old 02-02-2020, 09:12 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Can someone post that official site link with the heat map? I can't find it anywhere.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://voice.baidu.com/act/newpneumonia/newpneumonia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events