Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 02:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm pretty much done for the day with debating with selfish, ignorant people who are putting others at risk. And no I was not talking about you Katheryn Aragon.

To answer the original question I too feel very guilty saying this given all the tragedy but this past month can best be described as very relaxing and a positive experience. I have not had more than 2 weeks off since I was 16 and it's been very pleasant to hang around the house, go for a bike ride or go fishing if I want and go to bed whenever I feel like it.

I'm 61, retired early to drive for Uber so obviously this is a big financial crisis. We have zero income, investments are in the dumpster and I don't feel taking riders will be safe any time soon. But the government checks are enough to get us through the summer and even though we qualify we won't be signing up for food stamps. That program is for the truly needy and we have assets and don't feel that would be right.

So short term we are fine, although my first thought when I woke up this morning is I'm living Ground Hog Day where today will be exactly like yesterday and probably tomorrow. But long term I do worry about the financial crisis that will follow, but I strongly believe the best way to get through this is to shut down and lower the spread. Lives over dollars, open up when it will be safe and not too soon only to shut down again after we lose more fathers and sisters because we opened too soon.
Haha, couldn't rep you again but thanks!

My husband and I were talking with several friends of ours (on the phone, I think that's still allowed!), and they, like us, are pretty extroverted. My husband said he didn't even realize how extroverted he WAS till now! Anyway, we were all laughing and talking about how hard it is not to have face to face interactions with friends.

We have a guy who has been working on our sprinkler system and yard (woohoo, a visitor!) so we've been talking with him the past two days (keeping social distance!). He said that even people he knows who have been married for decades are going a little buggy looking at each other all day every day.

I love my husband, and I LIKE my husband, but after spending all day every day with him for a month, we're getting under each other's skin off and on. I saw a meme on social media that perfectly described our days together: "We spend our days with our best friend. We play games together. A new one we play is 'Why are you doing it that way?' and nobody ever wins."

It would be one thing if we had some income and less stress, and if three of our five adult kids weren't dealing with layoffs, but throw in some grandbaby missing, and trying to send adult kids money, and no income for us, and missing our friends as well as family, and uncertainty about the whole economy and the oil and gas industry in particular, and wow...

I told my husband, "My current mood - which is like Groundhog Day every day - is a weird and unpleasant mixture of boredom and anxiety."

At least the weather outside is beautiful for the most part and spring is definitely in the air. I do enjoy getting outside, gardening, etc.

Hey, get this - my husband and I just put up a squirrel feeder so we can watch squirrels from the patio! WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 02:09 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll let you look it up. I already know the differences.
LOL, okay. In other words you can't think of any difference.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:14 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Haha, couldn't rep you again but thanks!

My husband and I were talking with several friends of ours (on the phone, I think that's still allowed!), and they, like us, are pretty extroverted. My husband said he didn't even realize how extroverted he WAS till now! Anyway, we were all laughing and talking about how hard it is not to have face to face interactions with friends.

We have a guy who has been working on our sprinkler system and yard (woohoo, a visitor!) so we've been talking with him the past two days (keeping social distance!). He said that even people he knows who have been married for decades are going a little buggy looking at each other all day every day.

I love my husband, and I LIKE my husband, but after spending all day every day with him for a month, we're getting under each other's skin off and on. I saw a meme on social media that perfectly described our days together: "We spend our days with our best friend. We play games together. A new one we play is 'Why are you doing it that way?' and nobody ever wins."

It would be one thing if we had some income and less stress, and if three of our five adult kids weren't dealing with layoffs, but throw in some grandbaby missing, and trying to send adult kids money, and no income for us, and missing our friends as well as family, and uncertainty about the whole economy and the oil and gas industry in particular, and wow...

I told my husband, "My current mood - which is like Groundhog Day every day - is a weird and unpleasant mixture of boredom and anxiety."

At least the weather outside is beautiful for the most part and spring is definitely in the air. I do enjoy getting outside, gardening, etc.

Hey, get this - my husband and I just put up a squirrel feeder so we can watch squirrels from the patio! WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!
Wife and I are still getting along well. We have a routine where she has old black and white movies on in the background as I post all day. The other day appeared to be Jane Russell day so my posting activity declined dramatically.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL, okay. In other words you can't think of any difference.
And there you go again, inefficiently and inaccurately rephrasing what I say (apparently because what I'm actually saying makes sense, so that won't work for you).

I know the difference. If you are really interested in the difference between a quarantine and a stay at home order, it's super easy to google. I did that weeks ago. Your turn!

Old 04-17-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wife and I are still getting along well. We have a routine where she has old black and white movies on in the background as I post all day. The other day appeared to be Jane Russell day so my posting activity declined dramatically.
Oh my husband and I are getting along fine, better than many other couples, but it's difficult to go from both working, to neither working. It's just an adjustment and one we didn't see coming. We have had a plan for retirement (several years from now), and it did not include a pandemic and a total collapse of our economy, though believe me, from now on, we will plan for it! LOL

At least we are able to pay our bills, which is more than some people can say. I mean, I'm grateful but I'm not Pollyanna!

My husband is on a People's Court binge and so yeah...yawn. People sure are weird (the people on TV, not my husband - he's pretty normal).

Old 04-17-2020, 02:32 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Things haven't changed all that much for me. I'm in the medical field so I am still working and this I owe fully to the grace of the Lord Jesus. The largest and hardest part for me of this current event is that we are not able to gather at church so I am apart from my church family. With my husband having passed recently they formed basically all of my support since I have no family here where I live; it has been so difficult to not gather in person and worship the Lord Jesus together as children of the living God.

However, one good thing I believe which has come from this is I actually got hired at a different company. I also have a garden business on the side and this position comes with less hours and less weekend rotations which will give me more time to devote to my garden business (and more Sundays to worship God! Praise Jesus!).

I do not believe this would have happened if it had not been for the chaos that ensued when the virus first struck our nation in a large way, around the middle of March. I was still getting over a lengthy illness, had worked very many hours, and was just in the middle of a very long stretch of shifts when an employee called off. I asked my district manager if I could restrict the business (close part of it down) due to the huge number of patients and the past-exhausted state I was in (this was so I could handle the patients efficiently). She refused and talked another employee into staying to help me, but this was not resolved without some words being exchanged. After that I was spoke with a former employee with whom I had worked at her new job and she mentioned a position had opened there for which I would be qualified.

So I applied there and got hired, and I'm real psyched to be starting there soon!

But other than that, and the absence from church gatherings, not much has changed. For that I am grateful to my Saviour the Lord Jesus.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:38 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
And there you go again, inefficiently and inaccurately rephrasing what I say (apparently because what I'm actually saying makes sense, so that won't work for you).

I know the difference. If you are really interested in the difference between a quarantine and a stay at home order, it's super easy to google. I did that weeks ago. Your turn!
Well you didn't tell me anything. So I have to guess. I know the difference too, and it is not a big difference. You are just arguing semantics.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well you didn't tell me anything. So I have to guess. I know the difference too, and it is not a big difference. You are just arguing semantics.
It's a big difference. Sorry but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

I didn't tell you the differences because I'm not going to waste the time researching it, let alone trying to talk sensibly with you.

I'll tell you another two terms that are vastly different - "guess" and "misrepresent."

Old 04-17-2020, 04:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
The adjustment hasn't been difficult for me. We are retired, I am introverted, and, due to my husband's being immune compromised, we have been practicing infection control measures for the past several years so all this hand washing and washing off fruits such as banana and oranges is something that comes second nature to us at this point.

I am very concerned for the future and do worry about what our lives will be like in the coming months. We like to patronize local mom and pop restaurants and businesses as much as possible and I'm concerned that many of these may not survive. It is upsetting to see the long lines at the food distribution centers and we plan to donate our stimulus check to the local food bank. Not that we couldn't use the money. We owe several thousand in taxes but we would own that anyway.

Long ago, as a Navy wife with my husband gone for months at a time, I learned that I need to have a schedule in order to give structure to my day. I am prone to laziness and without the structure of a schedule I would be spending all day in my recliner reading e-books.

Now, without my usual group activities, I am finding other ways to structure my day. My yoga studio is giving online classes so rather than doing yoga three times a week, I am doing a class every day. My housekeeping had slipped to being somewhat slap-dash---cleaning when needed rather than on a regular schedule so have gone back to a set schedule for various tasks. Not quite Fly Lady crazy but close in compulsiveness. I can use this time to have this schedule become a habit.

My cooking had become somewhat routine, just throwing things together and depending on Blue Apron for a major portion of our meals so I dug out my recipe notebook which I had not looked at in years and am re-discovering old recipes.

I am sorry that this is a struggle for so many. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for those out of work, especially for those with children. I keep thinking back to many years ago when I was a welfare case worker and one of my clients told me that her children were crying because they were hungry. How horrible that any child should be hungry in this, the wealthiest country in the world. Thinking back to this incident is why I find the long food lines so upsetting and this is an image that I won't forget.

I often reflect on the words of the Serenity Prayer with the emphasis on acceptance of "the things I cannot change." We each have to find ways to deal with our present circumstances in the best possible way, given the different situations that each of us faces.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:17 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
For our family it has been tough.
I lost my job.
Haven’t seen a penny from unemployment insurance.
I must have called that office 50 times only to be put on hold and then hung up on .
I am so so very thankful that my wife make a good check and can work remotely.

We thought it was the right idea to move temporarily to a place we have in the sticks.
I left my pets at our other house with my son who is actually currently working.
I do miss my pets.
Miss my son.

I also like to build things.
I now no longer have access to my shop or my motorcycles.
That might not seem like much, but that was my comfort spot and now I don’t have it.

We have had 2 major deaths in the family this last few weeks.
One of which was my Father.
The other was one of my in-laws.
Normally a major family death happens every 20-25 years or so and now we had 2 in the last few weeks.

We have been suffering.
That said, I know others have it worse so I should just count my blessings.

I know it’s not the end of the world but it still sucks
I really hope this ends soon.

All the best.
Andy
It's difficult to hear of these kinds of situations, and I feel for what you are going through. It seems that many are forced to be incredibly strong under this pressure. It's so good that you have a place to be, that your wife is employed and your son can care for your pets. Those having pets with them is a positive aspect during such a time, I know.

Each time I hear stories related to this it is heartbreaking, getting negative information each day, feeling as if there is little hope. A neighbor told me of the same kind of experience with EDD. How are people expected to manage? I feel that this WILL end and yet, still leaving much to recover from. I hope it won't be too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events