Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 08:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
My DH works in oil and gas and got laid off. We've been through this rodeo before so we have some breathing room but honestly it stinks. Fortunately in past downturns he started his own LLC and would be able to get contract work here and there for companies that didn't want to rehire full-time employees so that could be a possibility down the road. But I am really going to miss the health insurance since we did ACA a different time and it was a nightmare. $1600 a month for coverage no one accepts.

I have to be honest, I resent some posts I see on social media. They tend to be from people who have a lot of job security (either government or top-level job) and they'll post "let's never go back to normal" meaning we should all cherish the extended time and forced slowdown we have at home with family. While I get the point I wonder how they'd feel if this quarantine involved a prolonged job loss versus just a temporary work-at-home period.

Oh sister, I feel you. My husband works in oil and gas too, and while he's not technically laid off, we figured out his pay and schedule cut and he's making about 1/4 of what he made prior to all this - and he still may get furloughed. My gosh, the price of oil right now...I can't even stand to check it.

Like you, this isn't our first rodeo so we have some breathing room as well. And yes, we still will have to pay our $1000 a month health insurance premium with its $6750 EACH deductible. On 1/4th of the pay.

What fun!

And like you, I also resent some of these posts - and comments in general - from people who are enjoying job security - or shall I correct that to say "income security." My brother is on disability, and actually has never really worked full time anyway, and he is single and lives in a tiny, rural town - his biggest complaint is that the local taco restaurant shut down. Otherwise, his life hasn't changed much. He calls me pretty regularly saying "Well, I've been out house shopping - some great deals out there, and wow, the price of gas is SOOOO LOW!" Yeah, bully for you, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 11:20 PM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
It has traumatized me. I have chronic kidney disease and have to go to the hospital for lab tests every month. Every month I have a hard time deciding wether I should go or not. If I go, I might catch the virus which could be devastating with this disease. If I don’t go, I won’t know if my disease has progressed to the next stage. So far I’ve gone twice, but I’m thinking of skipping next month. Plus I have family members with medical conditions.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:09 AM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
Honestly, it’s been the best th8ng to happen to our family. It has been incredibly low stress for us. My husband always worked from home so that is no big deal. And I am a teacher so I now only teach 3 hours a day 4 days a week. My kids (ages 8-12) enjoy online learning because it gives them so much more free time during the day. As for me I am an introvert so staying home all days feels great. Plus, I am no longer spending all of my evenings driving my kids everywhere and constantly checking the family calendar and seeing what I have to do next.

It has really lightened up our house and we are really enjoying each other.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I've gained weight, I'm sure.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You are not alone - I've gained three pounds myself and that's in spite of more exercise - since I have more time, ya know. I mean, I have upped my steps per day significantly - that counts, right? Other than walking, I'm not actually doing more exercise. That would add to my feeling of being trapped in purgatory indefinitely.

One of my sons told me that he's getting in great shape though, because he has all kinds of time to devote to working out and getting healthier. Good for him! Not me!

The weird thing is, NOT doing anything sort of makes me not want to do anything MORE.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:32 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Honestly, it’s been the best th8ng to happen to our family. It has been incredibly low stress for us. My husband always worked from home so that is no big deal. And I am a teacher so I now only teach 3 hours a day 4 days a week. My kids (ages 8-12) enjoy online learning because it gives them so much more free time during the day. As for me I am an introvert so staying home all days feels great. Plus, I am no longer spending all of my evenings driving my kids everywhere and constantly checking the family calendar and seeing what I have to do next.

It has really lightened up our house and we are really enjoying each other.
These lock-downs are not normal and they certainly don't encourage a healthy life style. How about you come back in 6 months with a similar post as to how you're all really enjoying each other?

Old 04-17-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
These lock-downs are not normal and they certainly don't encourage a healthy life style. How about you come back in 6 months with a similar post as to how you're all really enjoying each other?
LOL I thought the same thing but didn't say it.

Even our state parks are closed right now. Walking trails too. It's gotten ridiculous.

And I can't see my adult kids or grandkids because we can't travel and they are all scattered. And my husband and I are not introverts and he's used to going to work, not sitting around the house all day every day for weeks on end. I mean, we've done some yard projects and some things around the house but DANG it - between a significantly reduced income and a "stay at home" order, we are definitely looking slanty eyed over at each other at this point!

And if I have to do another Zoom conference call, I am going to lose my mind. On the last one, one of the participants put her phone down in her kitchen and we all got to watch her husband from the waist down (he was fully clothed which was a blessing but I digress), walk around fixing lunch or something, doing laundry, etc. while she was who knows where. And several people do not understand the "mute" button on Zoom, so we also got to hear kids squealing and crying, people typing, shuffling papers, etc.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:46 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
@Misshepburn we need to swap. I've lost weight and not in a good way. the stress is really getting to me.
losing weight and hair by the handful.

I too have been furloughed until May 4th although I think it will be extended. Now financially it's not a huge hit. I actually was planning on retiring this year so I've got my ducks in a row and the company is paying for our health insurance so that's a relief.

Of course I didn't get a stimulus check went on line to figure out why and all it says is t hat they are trying to figure out my eligibility WTF.

A number of my coworkers have reported that they did not get their unemployment check. Oh goody, some thing else to battle.

I suffer from anxiety so needless to say this ain't helping. I will count my blessings, I have a marvelous network of friends and family that regularly check on me.

my main problem is that I think this will have long lasting effects on my mental health and truthfully I htink it's going to do a number on the confidence of the country.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:53 AM

457 posts, read 904,628 times
How its changed my life, nothing major:

My wife's business continues to run from the house, so no major issues there.
I run a distribution center for a major company, and we are considered essential, so I continue to work.

My commute through Atlanta has been a joy. But keeping all of our associates safe and calm has been an expensive challenge. My employer has already spent millions trying to keep their employees worldwide safe. Business is stable, for now.

My wife and I usually eat out 15X per month, so no more of that. I have learned to cook more complicated meals, which is kind of interesting. Taking a lunchbox to work - I haven't done anything like that since Nixon was president.

Coming home from work and entering my neighborhood is surreal - seeing kids playing in their yards and in the street is like a flashback to the 70's. Until the schools closed, I had no idea there was a teenager living next door. When I'm driving into my development, people, who are busy walking, running, landscaping or just staying busy, look at me in my business clothes like I'm a space alien. Sometime I get a little jealous of missing out on the 90-day weekend, but I'm fortunate to have a stable job.

Canceled three trips in the last 30 days - no Dallas, Utah or Scotland. Oh well. Canceled my company distribution center's one year anniversary bash. We love to entertain at our house - not this year I guess. My wife and I love being around each other, so that is a BIG plus.

Overall, I would say that my wife and I are fortunate to this point.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
@Misshepburn we need to swap. I've lost weight and not in a good way. the stress is really getting to me.
losing weight and hair by the handful.

I too have been furloughed until May 4th although I think it will be extended. Now financially it's not a huge hit. I actually was planning on retiring this year so I've got my ducks in a row and the company is paying for our health insurance so that's a relief.

Of course I didn't get a stimulus check went on line to figure out why and all it says is t hat they are trying to figure out my eligibility WTF.

A number of my coworkers have reported that they did not get their unemployment check. Oh goody, some thing else to battle.

I suffer from anxiety so needless to say this ain't helping. I will count my blessings, I have a marvelous network of friends and family that regularly check on me.

my main problem is that I think this will have long lasting effects on my mental health and truthfully I htink it's going to do a number on the confidence of the country.
Originally I was so stressed out that I lost three pounds but I've just gained them back so I'm at my usual fluffy self.

I was just talking about this with my son last night - my husband planned to retire in about five years, not now. He doesn't qualify for Medicare yet (and I don't for seven more years). He had planned to work till he was 67 and qualified for full SS so he doesn't want to take that yet at 62. So this 70 percent drop in his pay is really hurting us - as in hurting our plans. (And of course, we still have to pay our hefty insurance premium and deductibles.) And apparently we aren't going to get a stimulus payment OR the SBA PPP loan since they ran out of money before our application, which we put in immediately, was approved.

We've got the means to get through this but we are definitely going to have to regroup in a few months. It's too early to retire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events