Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 12:39 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Walking and outdoor exercise is allowed and encouraged. What you see in the below picture is NOT allowed. That is why the state parks are closed. This is a quarantine, not a vacation. Is it really that hard to understand?
We do not care that it's quarantine. To be exact, we do not care what government tells us as we will do whatever we want to do. That is the American way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 12:50 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
We do not care that it's quarantine. To be exact, we do not care what government tells us as we will do whatever we want to do. That is the American way.
The only problem with that mentality is "is doing whatever you want" effects others, unless you live on an island by yourself and in this environment it could actually KILL others.
Yes America has the mentality of "I've got mine, f%% everyone else". we've seen that played out during the hoarding in supermarkets.

lol, it's not really something we should be proud of but then again hypocrisy is a very American way too. we're the first to scream about how christian and compassionate we are.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Your post made it sound like you didn't believe the picture could be real. If you have never seen a crowded state or national park, then obviously you just don't go to them. They get insanely crowded even in normal times. When the shutdown started, it got completely out of control.
LOL I go to state parks - in fact, I'm about to renew our state park yearly pass. Yep, we buy a yearly pass because we go to so many state parks that it's more reasonable cost wise for us to just pay for it once a year.

Never seen anything like the picture you posted but I never said or implied it was fake - I'm just glad I've never had to deal with anything like that in all the years I've been going to state parks (since I was an infant for the record).

Old 04-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Where is a quarantine in effect? I don't know of any quarantines that are state wide.

My point is that there is a difference between a stay at home order and a quarantine. A big difference in fact.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:27 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
This morning I went shopping for the first time in two weeks. What a change. The last time I was in Walmart, I didn't even wear my mask, and I didn't see even one other person wearing a mask. I had already decided I would wear my mask today, regardless. I kind of felt, I wouldn't be the only one. Which proved to be true. When I pulled in I saw 90% to 95% of the customers wearing masks. I didn't see even one single Walmart employee wearing a mask, not one. The store had a rope separating the entrance and exit, but I walked right in. They also had space markings on the floor at the registers, but only for three spaces. There were about 20 people in each line, so there wasn't much room for social distancing, beyond the first three spaces. They had installed fiberglass in front of the cashiers.

Next stop was Walgreens. It was the same as Walmart. Customers wearing masks, employees not. The next stop was Safeway. 100% of the employees at Safeway were wearing masks, as well as most all of the customers. They were using one door for an entrance, and one for an exit. There was a big sign with the occupancy limit, but there didn't seem to be anyone actually counting. Maybe they were doing it electronically. Since two doors were being used.

Overall I was pretty happy to see so many people wearing masks. Especially when just two weeks ago nobody was. Which was pretty amazing to me. Wearing the mask I felt safer, but I would have probably felt pretty safe even without it. Since this county still only has one COVID-19 case. That was at a state prison, and apparently they have that situation under control. Since no more cases have been reported.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
To bad for you. You live in this country and you have to follow the laws.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Where is a quarantine in effect? I don't know of any quarantines that are state wide.

My point is that there is a difference between a stay at home order and a quarantine. A big difference in fact.
And the big difference is...

Old 04-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
And the big difference is...
I'll let you look it up. I already know the differences.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:45 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
I'm pretty much done for the day with debating with selfish, ignorant people who are putting others at risk. And no I was not talking about you Katheryn Aragon.

To answer the original question I too feel very guilty saying this given all the tragedy but this past month can best be described as very relaxing and a positive experience. I have not had more than 2 weeks off since I was 16 and it's been very pleasant to hang around the house, go for a bike ride or go fishing if I want and go to bed whenever I feel like it.

I'm 61, retired early to drive for Uber so obviously this is a big financial crisis. We have zero income, investments are in the dumpster and I don't feel taking riders will be safe any time soon. But the government checks are enough to get us through the summer and even though we qualify we won't be signing up for food stamps. That program is for the truly needy and we have assets and don't feel that would be right.

So short term we are fine, although my first thought when I woke up this morning is I'm living Ground Hog Day where today will be exactly like yesterday and probably tomorrow. But long term I do worry about the financial crisis that will follow, but I strongly believe the best way to get through this is to shut down and lower the spread. Lives over dollars, open up when it will be safe and not too soon only to shut down again after we lose more fathers and sisters because we opened too soon.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:49 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,362 times
Quote:
To bad for you. You live in this country and you have to follow the laws.
I disagree that it's legal order. For that reason i am ignoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events