Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 12:46 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
No mask do not work. Even if they do work, I will still not wear them as American I still got personal liberty.
Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 12:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
I wear a neck gator pulled up around my nose and mouth, but it's mostly pointless. If i pull it over my eyes I can see right through it. But hey it keeps stores in SoCal from kicking me out so I'll play pretend to help give others a false sense of security. They're all about that down here.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think the problem is that Amazon has their own distribution system, their own warehouses, their own delivery people, which allows them to provide their 2 day, 1 day, 1 hour delivery. But now they have a lot of employees getting sick, or just getting fed up with risking their lives to work there, and it is effecting their service. eBay has none of that to worry about. So they are relitivly unaffected by current events, as long as USPS, FedEx, and UPS are not too badly affected.
Amazon does but it is actually much slower right now. I ordered a thermometer and the slips for it, it is selling for $17.99 and won't be here until Thursday. This is prioritizing shipping. Don't you think a thermometer is a need?

eBay is very much effected by supply/demand since sellers can sell for whatever price they want or starting bid they want...

Old 04-19-2020, 05:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You can be like my brother. He lives in a very small, rural town in NW Arkansas. He's on disability so his income hasn't been affected. He called me back in March and said, "What's going on? I just saw two women in the line in front of me at the Dollar Store arguing over a package of toilet paper?"

The crazy thing is that I had called him several weeks before, told him what might be about to happen, and told him, "You really, really need to be keeping up with current news." But siblings seem to have a penchant for disregarding what other siblings say.

He called me the other day and here's what he said. 1) He's really disappointed because his favorite taco stand closed down. 2) He's house shopping because there are some really great deals out there.
Smart!

Old 04-19-2020, 05:08 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Sorry for all losses. I anticipate one family loss as 68 yr old first cousin is on ventilator and struggling. Family was asked if medical staff can remove it if struggle gets worse, and consented.

Financially, I'm a bit better off at moment. work from home eliminates $450 a month train fare, and on average $50 cab fare to train/month (rainy days use) as I never got a parking spot since, when not raining, I walk.

I do expect a 10% salary reduction across the board in a few weeks, with 25% expected for our top execs. It has not been announced, but being part of our finance team, knowing how we are doing, I anticipate the corp who owns our group of companies will push for, and get it.

Cash flow is strained but not breaking. We drew all our credit line, but corp wants it untouched, at least this quarter.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The issue is that the employers are not providing the masks. I was at Target a few days ago and an employee there was telling a customer that she had to source a mask from someone she knew at a hospital. Most seem to be doing their best to get masks on their own, but many employees at these stores are making just above minimum wage. They may not have the money to spend $30 online to get a mask, particularly if they have someone else in their family who is out of work. Employers (particularly those that generally stock masks) should be doing more to try to supply employees with what they need to do their jobs safely.

Not all that much has changed in my life. I work from home 5 days a week now instead of 3. I don’t have kids, so I don’t have to do any e-learning. It is a lot more boring, but I suppose I am pretty lucky in that respect. I don’t have any family members so far who have gotten sick. I had stuff like a mask, sanitizing wipes, etc. from before, thankfully. I made my parents masks this week as they were just using some hello kitty fabric they had from a while back that I got from my sister. My dad sews and they have a very nice sewing machine, but I guess they weren’t that interested in making masks from the hello kitty fabric.
Right. And how much protection is there really from a scarf? Or how much does it protect others?

A thing came across my news feed about how they want to stop being called heroes, and be given protection and better pay. Some of them have to go to several stores, shopping only sale items, to get what they need for themselves at the same time as having to be exposed all day.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not sure it's laziness. I have friends who have been looking for masks, but have been having a hard time finding them. I suspect a lot of people have ordered them and are waiting for them to arrive.

Also keep in mind that your homemade bandana is not really a mask. There are three types of masks.

1. N95 respirator masks, which filter out about 95 percent of particles.
2. Medical surgical masks, which filter out about 60 to 80 percent of particles.
3. Homemade fabric masks, which filter out about 0 to 20 percent of particles.

A User’s Guide to Face Masks - The New York Times
Yes, while N95 masks and surgical mask (to a much lesser extent) confer some degree of protection through filtration (mainly N95s); the main reason for the request for wearing masks is because if the person wearing the mask coughs/sneezes, it greatly reduces the volume of aerosol and respiratory droplets. So the homemade masks don’t really protect the person wearing them (except from large respiratory droplets), but they protect others. So if everyone is wearing masks, the volume of aerosols and respiratory droplets that everyone is scared about being “in the air,” is greatly reduced if everyone is wearing masks.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I still have not received one penny from any unemployment dispersant or any other stimulus grant and I have been out of work near 2 months.

I am definitely not the only one in my union that has these gripes.
I am clearly not the only American that has this issue.

Try calling the unemployment office and ask for help....I dare you!
Thankful as heck that the wife and I prepped for this.

I mean WOW!
No one is helping us.
Heck I can not even fish for food on my WA property without risking a penalty.
I heard the penalties were at 5K per ticket.
No thank you.

Thankfully I know that this will pass.

I hope all the best for you all.
These are hard times but this will pass.

If I could recommend one thing.... just hold your head up high and and do the best you can.

All the best.
Andy.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Sorry to hear the OP’s story. I’m a physician (internist), but no longer practice clinically. I am in academics and am a medical director of an affiliate outpatient clinic. So many of my friends and colleagues are still on the front lines of this. Our clinic is very small and was a satellite clinic before all this happened so I’m helping with administration and it is tough. Limited equipment. My expertise is in using telemedicine, so I’ve been responsible for consulting and training on using it to lower volume.

Obviously I’ve been busy and haven’t had any financial change. Family and parents have all been staying indoors, so everyone is good so far (knock on wood).

It’s been heartbreaking hearing these stories. Hoping this too shall pass soon.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I still have not received one penny from any unemployment dispersant or any other stimulus grant and I have been out of work near 2 months.

I am definitely not the only one in my union that has these gripes.
I am clearly not the only American that has this issue.

Try calling the unemployment office and ask for help....I dare you!
Thankful as heck that the wife and I prepped for this.

I mean WOW!
No one is helping us.
Heck I can not even fish for food on my WA property without risking a penalty.
I heard the penalties were at 5K per ticket.

No thank you.

Thankfully I know that this will pass.

I hope all the best for you all.
These are hard times but this will pass.

If I could recommend one thing.... just hold your head up high and and do the best you can.

All the best.
Andy.
That's crazy. I am sorry. I see the lines everyday of thousands of people seeking food. Some people have gotten unemployment benefits, but my understanding is it's a fraction of those who need it. I hope your application gets through soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events