Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 02:37 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My brother lives in a very small Ozark town in Arkansas. He is on disability so he doesn't have to worry about losing his job. And Arkansas in general and his area in particular is barely affected by the coronavirus.

He didn't even know anything was going on till about two weeks ago when he called me and said, "Hey, you won't believe what I saw - I saw two women fighting over a package of toilet paper! Is something going on that I don't know about?"

Now keep in mind that two weeks earlier I'd called him and said, "I hope you're watching the news these days because strange things are happening all over the world and I think we may be about to experience a pandemic."

Just goes to show that he doesn't listen to me - LOL!

And then he ran out of toilet paper. Oh well, can't say I didn't warn him.
Just to say, similarly I had been discussing by email the wearing of masks with my sister, then an update of it being mandatory, sending a video of how to make them, a couple weeks back, yet was just sent the same sort of instruction video of from my sister. What?? She clearly does not listen to me, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 05:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Just to say, similarly I had been discussing by email the wearing of masks with my sister, then an update of it being mandatory, sending a video of how to make them, a couple weeks back, yet was just sent the same sort of instruction video of from my sister. What?? She clearly does not listen to me, either.
At least I'm not the only one!

As the local commercial says "Some things change, and some things never change."

My brother will watch Soviet military training videos that are 50 years old all day long but he doesn't bother watching half an hour of the news?

Old 04-18-2020, 05:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The weird thing is, NOT doing anything sort of makes me not want to do anything MORE.
That darn inertia I know!!!! ---a body at rest tends to stay at rest.
Boy, am I catching up on a lot of streaming series! So that's another big 'effect' - I call that
an accomplishment.

I finally took the time - like 5 minutes - to take care of a repetitive stress injury that turned into
a sore, inflamed knuckle, ouch ---mixed a tsp comfrey tea leaves with olive oil and honey; made
a little poultice - wrapped in a little saran wrap, athletic tape and
put a cloth glove on 8-10 hours - and it's 95% better gone now!
No wonder they wrap horse's ankles in a comfrey poultice. Cuz wow.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Next stop was Walgreens. It was the same as Walmart. Customers wearing masks, employees not.
100% of the employees at Safeway were wearing masks.
I know - whassup with these cashiers? Mine sneezed ! but into her arm.
Common sense would make me want to wear a mask --- yikes 200 customers ---ya just need one infected.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That darn inertia I know!!!! ---a body at rest tends to stay at rest.
Boy, am I catching up on a lot of streaming series! So that's another big 'effect' - I call that
an accomplishment.

I finally took the time - like 5 minutes - to take care of a repetitive stress injury that turned into
a sore, inflamed knuckle, ouch ---mixed a tsp comfrey tea leaves with olive oil and honey; made
a little poultice - wrapped in a little saran wrap, athletic tape and
put a cloth glove on 8-10 hours - and it's 95% better gone now!
No wonder they wrap horse's ankles in a comfrey poultice. Cuz wow.
Wow thanks for the tip - I just ordered some dried comfrey leaf! I looked into growing it because I have an herb garden, but after reading up on it decided to just get the dried leaves instead.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:05 AM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
With this crisis, my fear of death is getting less and less and less. I'm looking into the future, what's going to be cut to pay for the Stimulus plan, perhaps another virus brewing somewhere in the world, and the planet which continues to die more every day, and? Do I even want to be around in another year or 2.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know - whassup with these cashiers? Mine sneezed ! but into her arm.
Common sense would make me want to wear a mask --- yikes 200 customers ---ya just need one infected.
The issue is that the employers are not providing the masks. I was at Target a few days ago and an employee there was telling a customer that she had to source a mask from someone she knew at a hospital. Most seem to be doing their best to get masks on their own, but many employees at these stores are making just above minimum wage. They may not have the money to spend $30 online to get a mask, particularly if they have someone else in their family who is out of work. Employers (particularly those that generally stock masks) should be doing more to try to supply employees with what they need to do their jobs safely.

Not all that much has changed in my life. I work from home 5 days a week now instead of 3. I don’t have kids, so I don’t have to do any e-learning. It is a lot more boring, but I suppose I am pretty lucky in that respect. I don’t have any family members so far who have gotten sick. I had stuff like a mask, sanitizing wipes, etc. from before, thankfully. I made my parents masks this week as they were just using some hello kitty fabric they had from a while back that I got from my sister. My dad sews and they have a very nice sewing machine, but I guess they weren’t that interested in making masks from the hello kitty fabric.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
People who do not watch the news scare me. How can you not know what's going on in the world around you?

Old 04-18-2020, 07:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
My wife and I have been retired for a few years, so fortunately for us this crisis hasn't cut off our income. But we have kids and grandkids dependent on the economy, so this worldwide shutdown is certainly a concern. So far, none of them have been too drastically affected, but that could change almost overnight. If it does, we'd have limited means to help them out.

Socially, the isolation is boring and like everyone else, we miss in-person contact with friends and family.

She keeps giving me subtle hints.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
People who do not watch the news scare me. How can you not know what's going on in the world around you?
You can be like my brother. He lives in a very small, rural town in NW Arkansas. He's on disability so his income hasn't been affected. He called me back in March and said, "What's going on? I just saw two women in the line in front of me at the Dollar Store arguing over a package of toilet paper?"

The crazy thing is that I had called him several weeks before, told him what might be about to happen, and told him, "You really, really need to be keeping up with current news." But siblings seem to have a penchant for disregarding what other siblings say.

He called me the other day and here's what he said. 1) He's really disappointed because his favorite taco stand closed down. 2) He's house shopping because there are some really great deals out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events