Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Um because I'm a Texan. Why flee when we can begin the process of achieving better higher education?

Frankly, you should look at facts before you speak. It seems California had a net increase of ~3.5 million citizens from 2000-2010. And furthermore, much of that growth was fueled by Hispanics, much like Texas.

I think you've had to much of the kool-aid and the high fives and chest pumping the conservatives have been given you.
LOL, good for you - you can stay.

I'm talking, primarily, about the upwardly mobile people from Cali. who post on the board most every day. And Texas grew at double the rate and by about a million more people total from 2000-2010. Maybe you should look at all the facts.

As a guy just said on TV. Conservatives believe liberals are silly even dumb, well intentioned but dumb. Liberals believe conservatives are evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
LOL, good for you - you can stay.

I'm talking, primarily, about the upwardly mobile people from Cali. who post on the board most every day.

Really? So how many anecdotal stories have you read on the board here that have show that the upwordly mobile were leaving? 12? 39? 360? 460780? What kind of numbers are we talking about here? Or maybe we want to post some actual numbers? Or just stop?

Quote:
And Texas grew at double the rate and by about a million more people total from 2000-2010. Maybe you should look at all the facts.

As a guy just said on TV. Conservatives believe liberals are silly even dumb, well intentioned but dumb. Liberals believe conservatives are evil.
Go back to your own post (#119) were you asserted that "so many Californias were looking to leave my educational paradise?

To which I replied, CA grew by +3.4 million and also it was fueled mostly by hispanic growth (like Texas). These stats hardly indicative of people fleeing.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Really? So how many anecdotal stories have you read on the board here that have show that the upwordly mobile were leaving? 12? 39? 360? 460780? What kind of numbers are we talking about here? Or maybe we want to post some actual numbers? Or just stop?

Go back to your own post (#119) were you asserted that "so many Californias were looking to leave my educational paradise?

To which I replied, CA grew by +3.4 million and also it was fueled mostly by hispanic growth (like Texas). These stats hardly indicative of people fleeing.

Good grief man scroll down the list of posts if you don't believe me.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Loved the photo in today's FTW paper of the kids holding up signs to protest Perry's funding cuts to education-one of them read == "Shave your hair--not our funding"

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Like I've said before, I think California got it right with regards to the emphasis on education, in which they far outlap Texas (surely even Texas conservatives cannot seriously debate this). Where California got it wrong was to then create a high cost welfare state, allow unions to grow strong, and eventually tax people out of sight.

Texas HAS to step up its focus on education. Slashing education just so that we can bring in more companies is a short sighted ploy at best. Eventually the only companies that will be willing to relocate here will be the low wage firms that dont require highly trained workers. (is it any surprise that a steadily increasing share of the new jobs created in Texas are now low wage service sector jobs).
For people who doubt whether education is paramount, go study the rise of economies like Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan. One of the many attributes they all share is a heavy emphasis on education. That is how they grew to dominate high tech industries. Otherwise they will all be making shoes and toys. Right now we are steadily regressing to that point. Cutting education even more like Perry is advocating will help seal that fate for our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas