Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:36 AM

144 posts, read 207,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
jw why are you moving SO FAR out when you are in a great location in Frisco?
LOL. Frisco IS already SO FAR OUT, this is just FARTHER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
It's nice in that area. I don't blame the OP at all. Green pastures and trees are a lot prettier than 6 lane arterial roads.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:00 AM

117 posts, read 193,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
It's nice in that area. I don't blame the OP at all. Green pastures and trees are a lot prettier than 6 lane arterial roads.
Yeah it's nice NOW, 10 years from now it will will just look like Frisco. I'm not sure i could ever buy in an area with so much new construction. Seems like when you go to sell the competition is not only with other homeowners but with builders too, no thanks.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:10 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofjjj View Post
Yeah it's nice NOW, 10 years from now it will will just look like Frisco. I'm not sure i could ever buy in an area with so much new construction. Seems like when you go to sell the competition is not only with other homeowners but with builders too, no thanks.
Well, nothing is forever. We didn't buy our home based on ten year speculation because we will move before that length of time anyway.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 PM

39 posts, read 74,690 times
Hey looks like I am the odd one out.

I am seriously considering Windsong Ranch for my home purchase. I was looking to buy in Frisco area ( Lawler park, Arbors at Willow Bay, Stonelake Estates, Stonebridge Ranch, Richwoods, RidgeView at Panther Creek, Heights at West Ridge, Stone Hollow, Barcelona at Mckinney, Fairways at Craig Ranch, Philips Creek Ranch and Saddlebrook village)

These were some of the communities that I was looking into. My price point is upper $380-$450K and need 2 story with media.

1) Lawler park is almost sold out and for $600k to get a 2 story house ( I think they have 2 lots left)
2) Philips Creek Ranch - This is one of the best ones out there but 423 is always too much traffic that does not move and it takes 10- 12 mins from DNT & Lebanon Intersection to get to the community.
3) Fairways at Craig Ranch -- Too small lots, Lots of multi family built around the community and no amenities
4)Stone Hollow -- One of the better communities out there, but again ( Millenium 1 and Millenium 2 low income housing built very close to it, so did not prefer that)
5) Richwoods -- Lots of amenities, but way too expensive. You can get something in $400k but lots are small at that price point and plans are not that great.
6) Stonebridge Ranch – Too far into the Mckinney, would take forever to get there along with lights
7) Arbors at Willow Bay – Sold out ( was pretty reasonable when the lots where there )
8) Villages at Stonelake estates – Sold out recently
9) Heights of WestRidge – Smaller lots, priced lower, different product than what we want
10) Ridgeview at Panther Creek – First Texas homes, not our choice of builder, older floor plans, not the finish that we want

Light farms ( 39 mins to Irving, {I work in Irving })

Pros:
1) Cheaper than Windsong ( not on all lots, some times more expensive depending on the builder)
2) Will be close to DNT when the DNT phase 2 is completed.
Cons:
1) MUD Taxes
2) Longer Commute

Windsong Ranch ( 33 mins to Irving)

Pros:
1) No MUD Tax
2) 7 mins to Eldarado & DNT Intersection – Groceries, restaurants
3) No Lights ( alright, we hit two lights going on service road )
4) Lots of amenities ( 600 arce parks, 4 swimming pools when built out, 3 schools within community in next 3 years)
5) Large lots for our budget range ( similar houses in Philips Creek ranch are 100K higher ---- 2 mins more commute vs 100K)

Cons :
1) Not much build around the community as of now
2) 75 foot lots are still pricey and one would end up close to $500k
3) Multifamily housing to be built within the community, will use community resources

So our choices are down to Light Farms, Windsong Ranch, and Philips Creek Ranch

PCR is higher in price but the commute is almost same. Price and Amenities are better in Windsong Ranch.

Hope this might help others making a decision. I might be missing other good communities in Prosper and Frisco, but this is my research so far.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM

18 posts, read 41,849 times
Telegan, we considered both (as well as dozens of other communities in Prosper and Frisco). We like Windsong Ranch better; and although there are smaller lots in both communities, I think overall, they are smaller on average in Light Farms. Light Farms has many 50' lots, and Huntington and Weekley are doing upscale homes on 86 or 90 foot lots in Windsong (adds to the community nicely even if you are not interested in that price range). There is also the high tax rate (MUD) to consider in Light Farms as another poster mentioned which starts to eat away quickly at a 20 or 30k price difference. Keep in mind taxes are paid annually as well - so eventually it will surpass the price difference on the home. Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 PM

241 posts, read 381,897 times
TheTexGuyHere, everything you typed is pretty much what I've seen and agree with. I've been leaning toward Windsong Ranch lately. The pricing on some models in there is rather funny. I see prices on the same model from the same builder going up and down $15,000 every couple of months. One month $415k ... next $433k... then $417k. I see Drees offering a 3200 sq. ft. 2 story house for around $430k and houses 400 sq. ft. smaller go for more. Maybe all builders do that. *shrug* The townhomes/apartments being built in Windsong Ranch were a concern to me, as well.

Loraheart, I agree about the MUD tax, but the issue I have is the difference in some of the Drees models I looked at between Light Farms and Windsong is more like $40-$60k difference. Of course in Windsong, Drees has something like 76' lots and they're only around 60' in Light Farms. I'm also not a big fan of the 50' lots. The neighborhoods with 50' lots in Light Farms look like the houses are sitting on top of each other and about to collapse on you as you drive down the streets.

The other thing I'm noticing while looking for new homes is that back in '04 when I bought my house in Frisco, a spec home was a barebones home with maybe a few options. Now a spec/inventory home seems like they throw a bunch of options in (and sometimes not a bunch), but then jack up the price some insane level. I'm looking at homes that are listed at $435k for new construction, but inventory/spec homes of that model for $557k? I'm almost tempted to find out what added $120k to that house. lol. I guess then they can say "we'll take $25k off!" and make me feel like I'm getting a steal.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegan View Post
TheTexGuyHere, everything you typed is pretty much what I've seen and agree with. I've been leaning toward Windsong Ranch lately. The pricing on some models in there is rather funny. I see prices on the same model from the same builder going up and down $15,000 every couple of months. One month $415k ... next $433k... then $417k. I see Drees offering a 3200 sq. ft. 2 story house for around $430k and houses 400 sq. ft. smaller go for more. Maybe all builders do that. *shrug* The townhomes/apartments being built in Windsong Ranch were a concern to me, as well.
It is normal for prices to continually go up, all new development volume do that. They do it for appraisal purposes

Down? Hard to believe...have a link of price history?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 PM

190 posts, read 288,307 times
I wonder why you did not consider Allen. The commute time from Allen would be about the same, compared to some of the Frisco/McKinney communities on your list.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM

84 posts, read 94,645 times
I use to commute to Irving from Prosper, it was a PITA. I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: