Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 06:30 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This
The crime was committed in Dallas
Both the victim and perp were from Dallas
The perp worked for Dallas PD
Kaufman County???
It’s standard operating procedure. They do it in a different county so there isn’t the appearance of bias or vengeance from local jurors. To those more knowledgeable than myself, am I right on this?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
The current story: That she parked on the wrong level, the door was unlocked, she shot him and discovered that it was the wrong apartment after she turned the light on, makes a lot of sense and is believable enough sounding.

I know alot of people are saying there is no way she could has made this mistake, but I think it is entirely possible.

When I first moved into my last apartment I parked on the wrong floor and didn't discover I was on the wrong floor till my key didn't fit, I took a step back and realized it was the wrong floor.

I also know two people from college who after a night of drinking wandered into the wrong (unlocked) apartment and didn't realize their mistake till they turned the lights on and noticed all the furniture was different. They were just lucky that the guy who lived there didn't have a gun.

All of that said, just because I think the story is believable doesn't mean I believe the story, I've heard too many conflicting reports: that she banged on the door and yelled for example.

These are reports from people who live there so it would seem like they would be a good place to start. Did they hear yelling before the shooting, after?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
She thought it was her apartment.

It seems the door was unlocked, so that would have immediately alerted her that something was wrong.

Then, with her keen, police-trained sense of observation, she realized that someone had switched out her furniture. And put different pictures on the walls. And painted the walls a different color.

That's when she knew shenanigans were afoot.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:03 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The current story: That she parked on the wrong level, the door was unlocked, she shot him and discovered that it was the wrong apartment after she turned the light on, makes a lot of sense and is believable enough sounding.

I know alot of people are saying there is no way she could has made this mistake, but I think it is entirely possible.

When I first moved into my last apartment I parked on the wrong floor and didn't discover I was on the wrong floor till my key didn't fit, I took a step back and realized it was the wrong floor.

I also know two people from college who after a night of drinking wandered into the wrong (unlocked) apartment and didn't realize their mistake till they turned the lights on and noticed all the furniture was different. They were just lucky that the guy who lived there didn't have a gun.

All of that said, just because I think the story is believable doesn't mean I believe the story, I've heard too many conflicting reports: that she banged on the door and yelled for example.

These are reports from people who live there so it would seem like they would be a good place to start. Did they hear yelling before the shooting, after?
How do we know the conflicting stories came from Guyger? The fact is they probably didn't.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This
The crime was committed in Dallas
Both the victim and perp were from Dallas
The perp worked for Dallas PD
Kaufman County???
Guyger was likely staying in Kaufman County. It appears she was arrested, made $300,000 bail, and released yesterday.

She'll almost certainly be prosecuted by the Dallas County DA Faith Johnson and her staff. If there is to be a change of venue that would be because a judge agreed that Guyger could not get a fair trial in Dallas County - assuming this goes that far.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
How do we know the conflicting stories came from Guyger? The fact is they probably didn't.
I'm just saying that there are conflicting stories, who knows were they come from.

I'm also saying, just because a story seems believable to me, doesn't mean I think it's necessarily true.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Fifth, there will be political pressure. The victim was not some gang member or hood rat. Letting the officer off will send a powerful message that all black men are fair game no matter how law abiding or reputable.
Would you have been more OK with this shooting if the victim had been a felon? All other circumstances being 100% equal, would you have been OK with this shooting if the victim was, as you say, a "hood rat"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They didn't know each other. That's already been established.

Not to split hairs, but you can't really prove a negative. What this means is that she says she didn't know him and so far no evidence to the contrary has been produced. (Note that Amber Guyger's social media accounts vanished pretty early Friday morning.) It's plausible that she didn't know him, but in my mind you can't really say for sure that she didn't until you at least go over their phone & computer data & histories, plus social media accounts.

I will say this tho....from all appearances, Botham Jean doesn't seem like the type of guy who would go for Amber Guyger, i.e. he could do better. A lot better.

Furthermore, I'm not sure Amber Guyger would have gone for him either. Have you seen the family snapshot of her standing next to an older relative sporting an "All Lives Matter" t-shirt? I'm guessing that a Venn diagram of people who say things like "All Lives Matter" & people who approve of their white daughters/granddaughters dating black men wouldn't have much overlap.

IJS.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying that there are conflicting stories, who knows were they come from.

I'm also saying, just because a story seems believable to me, doesn't mean I think it's necessarily true.
But you said something to the effect that there are too many stories to believe her story.

For sure I may be misreading your intent. And I agree with most of what you wrote.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
But you said something to the effect that there are too many stories to believe her story.

For sure I may be misreading your intent. And I agree with most of what you wrote.
Yeah, at this point there are too many stories to believe any single one of them.

All of them seem to neatly fit a narrative. I honestly have no idea what happened. Her story is believable to me (Still doesn't make shooting first and asking questions later ok by any stretch) but just because it is believable doesn't make it true.

As for the neighbors who say she was yelling/ banging on the door: Were any of them in the hall? How far were they from where the shooting happened? How long before the shooting was the yelling? How long did it last? Do their stories match up?

Not to play 12 Angry men or anything, but there are ALOT of questions that need to be asked before we jump to deciding what happened.

Maybe the info is delayed because DPD is trying to cover up, or maybe it is delayed because they want to make sure the info they release is correct. I think both are district possibilities.

What I hate about these situations is everyone picks a side without knowing the details. Its totally possible this was a terrible mistake and only manslaughter and it is possible this is a murder.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, at this point there are too many stories to believe any single one of them.

All of them seem to neatly fit a narrative. I honestly have no idea what happened. Her story is believable to me (Still doesn't make shooting first and asking questions later ok by any stretch) but just because it is believable doesn't make it true.

As for the neighbors who say she was yelling/ banging on the door: Were any of them in the hall? How far were they from where the shooting happened? How long before the shooting was the yelling? How long did it last? Do their stories match up?

Not to play 12 Angry men or anything, but there are ALOT of questions that need to be asked before we jump to deciding what happened.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas