Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
Not defending the police officer at all, just sharing some relevant "extras" that may be helpful.

The police officer had just moved into the apartment building one month ago, so she was still probably
not all that familiar with the entrance or layout? I am going to assume that her door was located in the
exact same spot on the floor that she lived on. Unfortunately, that did not dissuade her from assuming
correctly that she was at the wrong door.

The police officer had been delivering warrants in a very dicey Dallas neighborhood. If you ever so much
have DROVE thru a dicey Dallas neighborhood, you would make sure that you drove as fast as you could.
This young officer had to walk thru this neighborhood, she could have been a bundle of raw nerves when
she made this horrible choice. I am just surmising.

I think it is a case of Manslaughter. I think the Manslaughter charge is just in this case. I cannot imagine
how the department is going to handle the public relations nightmare this complete and utter tragedy is.
What a wonderful young man the victim was, and how unthinkable this all is.

There is now a report that the officer directed the victim to raise his arms and he did not comply. At that point what are her choices? Unfortunately I believe protocols and training would be for her to shoot.

So a terrible accident. But not a crime...or at least not a crime provable beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is now a report that the officer directed the victim to raise his arms and he did not comply. At that point what are her choices? Unfortunately I believe protocols and training would be for her to shoot.

So a terrible accident. But not a crime...or at least not a crime provable beyond a reasonable doubt.
So there are witnesses?

Or is this her excuse?

Last edited by Jaggy001; 09-10-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:02 PM

200 posts, read 548,338 times
Quote:

I'm not saying that it is right or wrong but in the real world police is very rarely convicted.
Guns are dangerous and accidents simply happen way too often than I feel comfortable to see.

An extremely sad tragedy for someone who was actually a police supporter.
https://www.westword.com/news/richar...-says-10616465

Another sad tragedy
https://www.wdtn.com/news/florida-po...ing/1003131370

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Justine_Damond

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Akai_Gurley

It makes me sad reading those in the news....

Old 09-10-2018, 05:12 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And don't assume that a uniformed police officer is a friendly call.
Oh, especially that.

Remember not long ago the Kansas case where an innocent man had been SWATted by a malevolent hoax call that he was armed and holding hostages? The police go to the house and ring the doorbell. The guy--suspecting nothing-- answers the door and the police immediately shoot him dead.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
Not defending the police officer at all, just sharing some relevant "extras" that may be helpful.

The police officer had just moved into the apartment building one month ago, so she was still probably
not all that familiar with the entrance or layout? I am going to assume that her door was located in the
exact same spot on the floor that she lived on. Unfortunately, that did not dissuade her from assuming
correctly that she was at the wrong door.

The police officer had been delivering warrants in a very dicey Dallas neighborhood. If you ever so much
have DROVE thru a dicey Dallas neighborhood, you would make sure that you drove as fast as you could.
This young officer had to walk thru this neighborhood, she could have been a bundle of raw nerves when
she made this horrible choice. I am just surmising.

I think it is a case of Manslaughter. I think the Manslaughter charge is just in this case. I cannot imagine
how the department is going to handle the public relations nightmare this complete and utter tragedy is.
What a wonderful young man the victim was, and how unthinkable this all is.

Please, how long does it take someone to acclimate to a new place?

She never should have been a cop if she is a bundle of "raw nerves".

You're making very poor excuses for her.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

Who is reporting that? Her.

Let's see someone barges into your home and you're supposed to put your hands in the air? Not be in utter shock?

Yes, a crime was committed.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:

Did she see a gun on the victim? What not tazer the victim?

This story makes no sense and it will continue to make no sense. This officer was either drunk or high. If you read the arrest affidavit it makes less sense.

No security cameras at this apt complex???

His apt # is 1478; her apt # is 1378. Also, the #s are outside the doors. You can read the arrest affidavit for DPD on the Heavy.com link.

The crime happened at September 6, 2018 at about 9:59 p.m yet she was arrested on September 9, 2018. Hopefully, her blood was drawn on Sept 6 and an Alcohol test was administered also on Sept 6. If they decided to do it on Sept 9th, 3 days after the incident then any trace of drugs will be gone from her system.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/amber-guyger/

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 09-10-2018 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So there are witnesses?

Or is this her excuse?
Her version of the event. But it is also consistent with the event. And it may well be why the TX Rangers were slow to arrest her.
Basically the prosecutor will have to prove she lied about the failure to comply. And that is very likely to prove to be impossible.
So does an officer have the right to shoot a person who is approaching at close proximity in a dark room who is not cooperating?

Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Her version of the event. But it is also consistent with the event. And it may well be why the TX Rangers were slow to arrest her.
Basically the prosecutor will have to prove she lied about the failure to comply. And that is very likely to prove to be impossible.
So does an officer have the right to shoot a person who is approaching at close proximity in a dark room who is not cooperating?
Which means she'll walk out of the courtroom, la-de-da, because the people who will be in the jury have already been trained that there is no circumstance in which a police officer cannot shoot anyone based on "I was in fear of my life"--and there is no situation in which that can be questioned.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why would he have to raise his hands when he is in HIS home? Again are there no Apt # signage on the doors in Dallas? Did she take the elevator or stairs?

This story makes no sense and it will continue to make no sense. This officer was either drunk or high.

No security cameras at this apt complex???
I'm staying out of this for a bit, mostly, but your first point is right on the money.

A few years ago in Kansas City IIRC a guy was cleaning his .45ACP on a table. Cops stormed in he didn't comply perfectly and was killed in his own home. The homeowner was a middle aged white guy, the cops skated away clean....................even though they forcibly entered THE WRONG HOUSE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas