Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:43 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasperson View Post
Question:

Have any of the private schools said what school will look like in the Fall?
Not in any explicit terms. I halfway believe they are mustering the courage to let parents know that this will yet again, be a mostly virtual school year.

Really hoping I’m wrong, though I wouldn’t blame them if I wasnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Not in any explicit terms. I halfway believe they are mustering the courage to let parents know that this will yet again, be a mostly virtual school year.

Really hoping I’m wrong, though I wouldn’t blame them if I wasnt.
Our small preschool is updating us at the beginning of August. I assume since the church it’s housed in is still closed, that school will not open - at least not in early September as planned. And honestly I would rather them make the call than us have to. My kid needs the stimulation and socialization but I also don’t want to not see our high-risk parents for the next 7-8 months

Old 07-08-2020, 11:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CThopeful View Post
Can you explain this a bit more? I'm new to all this and just curious what the differences are religious instruction wise between providence and one of the other episcopal or catholic options?
Episcopal and Catholic schools that require a class on religion tend to do one of two things. Treat it more like a history course, or else teach values like "love your neighbor" or "everyone is equal in the eyes of God" and things like that. Lessons that I would hope transcend the values of those who do and don't practice religion formally. There are definitely some Catholic schools that are super, super conservative and may not be welcoming to people of other faiths, but if you're just looking for private schools for your kid (and mostly in Dallas proper), you probably won't come across them. As TC80 said, the more conservative Christian schools will be making sure your personal faith aligns with their teachings before you get there. At Covenant, the faculty application asks "what is your favorite book, other than the Bible?" which speaks volumes.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Our small preschool is updating us at the beginning of August. I assume since the church it’s housed in is still closed, that school will not open - at least not in early September as planned. And honestly I would rather them make the call than us have to. My kid needs the stimulation and socialization but I also don’t want to not see our high-risk parents for the next 7-8 months
Ours is one of the larger privates but they are doing quite a bit of hemming and hawing which leads me to think August is not happening. Maybe January.

Either way, the thought of homeschooling -because that's what it was last time- two elementary aged kids while somehow getting my own work done is breaking me out in hives.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:42 AM

625 posts, read 668,685 times
To be fair, Providence very clearly lays out their philosophy and values on their website under 'Core Values'.

Quoted Excerpts include:

"We believe that God holds parents and, more specifically, fathers, responsible for the education and training of their children, and that this critical role cannot be abdicated to others"

"Providence...Encourages mothers to stay home with their students as much as possible and to be not overly involved in other activities;"

http://www.pcstx.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/CoreValues.pdf

As such, I think they have quite different religious value requirements than other Christian private schools locally. We previously were in a local Catholic school and while most families were Catholic, many of our friends were quite liberal in their value systems.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:10 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
To be fair, Providence very clearly lays out their philosophy and values on their website under 'Core Values'.

Quoted Excerpts include:

"We believe that God holds parents and, more specifically, fathers, responsible for the education and training of their children, and that this critical role cannot be abdicated to others"

"Providence...Encourages mothers to stay home with their students as much as possible and to be not overly involved in other activities;"

As such, I think they have quite different religious value requirements than other Christian private schools locally. We previously were in a local Catholic school and while most families were Catholic, many of our friends were quite liberal in their value systems.

If the Dads are in charge of education I wonder what the Moms are doing since they can't work ?

Old 07-08-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quoted Excerpts include:

Wow. To each their own.

I grew up around/with a fair number of Muslims. This belief is pretty identical to theirs, which is not to say it's wrong or right- just, not modern.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
If the Dads are in charge of education I wonder what the Moms are doing since they can't work ?
There is local lifestyle blogger whose kids go to Providence. She is pretty candid about doing her blogging work before her girls wake up in the morning or when they are all at school. But their home life is simple and fairly sheltered - not a bad thing and not judging them, just passing on my observations.

She is truly a “homemaker” and views her role as molding the character of her girls, facilitating crafts / activities / projects to keep them occupied and learning at home, and providing a hospitable environment for her family through well-planned meals, holiday festivities, and memorable moments. Their younger girls don’t do any extracurriculars (or maybe 1 per season) and the older girl I think plays one sport and maybe an instrument.

Keep it simple - let children be young and innocent as long as possible and not over-schedule them. Spiritual and character development over resume padding. Very counter-culture to Dallas.

The other family whose kids are now at Hockaday & St Marks are a little more “mainstream” Dallas (aka the mom loves planning a good charity auction and the dad is a hedge fund guy, the girls will certainly follow mom’s footsteps right into a PKT house at UT after summering at the “right” camps) but they are very conservative Christians. Mom has a graduate degree and a big career but quit when her kids were born.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:06 PM

625 posts, read 668,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There is local lifestyle blogger whose kids go to Providence. She is pretty candid about doing her blogging work before her girls wake up in the morning or when they are all at school. But their home life is simple and fairly sheltered - not a bad thing and not judging them, just passing on my observations.

She is truly a “homemaker” and views her role as molding the character of her girls, facilitating crafts / activities / projects to keep them occupied and learning at home, and providing a hospitable environment for her family through well-planned meals, holiday festivities, and memorable moments. Their younger girls don’t do any extracurriculars (or maybe 1 per season) and the older girl I think plays one sport and maybe an instrument.

Keep it simple - let children be young and innocent as long as possible and not over-schedule them. Spiritual and character development over resume padding. Very counter-culture to Dallas.

The other family whose kids are now at Hockaday & St Marks are a little more “mainstream” Dallas (aka the mom loves planning a good charity auction and the dad is a hedge fund guy, the girls will certainly follow mom’s footsteps right into a PKT house at UT after summering at the “right” camps) but they are very conservative Christians. Mom has a graduate degree and a big career but quit when her kids were born.

Ahhh.. I know that blogger that you refer to. I actually follow her, even though my lifestyle is quite different! Seems a sweet family and a relaxed way to grow up. Definitely counter culture for around here.

My kids are oversubscribed, but do better when they are busier. I have wanted to expose them to different clubs, sports, arts at a young age...since harder to pickup later if they love them. But I struggle with it personally.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 PM

60 posts, read 47,506 times
Quote:

Quoted Excerpts include:

Wow, this is insanity. Glad we could find some liberal cohorts if we go private route though in the catholic options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas