Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 PM

46 posts, read 161,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some parts of east Allen are nice but other parts are very hit or miss. It reminds me of what some parts of Garland looked like 20 years ago and those same parts are in a steep decline now. I would be cautious about buying in east Allen anywhere around Bethany or McDermott/Main but north of there seems to be nicer.

I think over time the west side of Allen will hold its value better.
That's exactly my hubby's argument that buyer perception and resale values will be higher in west side of Allen because its reputation is that it's better. But it seems to me that the truth is more murky than straightforward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM

122 posts, read 507,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehunter09 View Post
Momof2dfw, I've heard a lot about lower-quality builders "cutting corners" and so we have stayed away from some builders based on reputation but this issue was never clear to me. What is meant exactly when builders "cut corners?" That's such a vague yet scary concept for me. Are the "corners" minor details like the sink being overmount vs. undermount, cheaper fixtures or are they actually bigger issues that will come up years down the road like structural/foundation issues? I actually fell in love with Grand homes but my hubby will not even consider them. Thanks!
The DR Horton home we lived in a few years back had several examples of cutting corners. They put tile over drywall in the shower as opposed to over hardy backerboard. They also used drywall as trim for the door frame on the outside of the house

Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehunter09 View Post
That's exactly my hubby's argument that buyer perception and resale values will be higher in west side of Allen because its reputation is that it's better. But it seems to me that the truth is more murky than straightforward.
There is "the truth" which is that there is not a huge difference between west and east Allen but as time goes on the differences may get bigger. If I had to live in Allen I honestly would choose the west side because most of the parts of the east side I have seen look kind of dumpy (along Bethany, Main, etc) except for the far out northeastern side, and that is too far from the highway to be an option. That is what I would do if I had to live in Allen. Having seen both sides it would be west Allen, no question. It's prettier and the shopping is better.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 PM

22 posts, read 100,591 times
We are in the Fairview/Lucas area just East of "East Allen" and it is
beautiful out this way. A few subdivisions in East Allen which are really
nice are Stacy Ridge Estates and Countybrook. I dont really have
anything against West Allen, except I would never buy a home with
an alley and small yard, and I believe thats all the West side offers.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:46 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,778 times
Another difference, at least for far SW Allen, is that you can be in PISD which historically has a better reputation than Allen. This is probably more a matter of perception than an actual tangible difference though.

Anyway, the value of real estate these days lies completely with the buyer and what they will pay on any given day - not what is written down on a scrap of paper or posted online - so I agree with the post saying you should find the house you like and make an offer you can live with.

Last edited by tyanger; 07-05-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 86,205 times
To the original poster:

There is definitely a marked difference between purchasing in east Allen v. west Allen. Let me preface this by saying that no area of Allen is 'truly' bad. The community has a small, hometown feel given the size. I think the fact that Allen has managed to stick with only one large school contributes to the since of comraderie and town pride.

However, from a purely financial perspective, west Allen would most definitely be a better long-term investment than east Allen. The subdivisions in west Allen are more expensive for a reason. The market dictates home prices, and people will pay more for higher-end homes in west Allen.

If you want me to substantiate my viewpoint, all of west Allen is in the 75013 zip code. Look up the median income, home price, etc. for that zip code v. that of east Allen, 75002.

Like with every Dallas suburb, Allen started as a small town and slowly evolved into an affluent suburban community. 'Old Allen' is on the east side, so many of the subdivisions are older and less expensive. That doesn't mean they're bad, but many are showing their age and do not have a lot of the amenities that the master-planned communities on the west side. Historically, lower average home prices for that type of housing stock mean lower property values for the long-term.

West Allen has more of that new suburban feel in the sense that the majority of subdivisions there were built within the last two decades. Twin Creeks, Suncreek, Star Creek & Montgomery Farm all have 500k plus neighborhoods, with some ranging to 1M +. There neighborhoods are inevitably going to boost property values of the areas around them because generally, a 500K house is going to be higher quality, better maintained & have more amenities than a 185K house in east Allen.

Personally, regardless of what my budget is, I would rather be living in or next to large master-planned communities instead of your run of the mill Dallas subdivision in east Allen.

Again, I am not trying to put either area down, but do some reasearch on the homes and neighborhoods in both zip codes and you will see that west Allen is probably the better choice.

Also, this has nothing to do with Fairview & Lucas, as the poster did not request a comparison between west Allen & Fairview. Yes, Fairview and Lucas both have very high-end custom homes, both towns now have their own school system and border east Allen, they aren't part of it.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
This thread is a joke, right?
You're debating which side of ALLEN has more prestige?!?!?!

When it comes down to it, both sides are just in Allen and don't have anything that a dozen other suburbs that are nice but nothing special have. Allen also can't claim the amenities that Plano or Frisco can claim, let alone Preston Hollow or Highland Park, or Lakewood, the real "prestige" areas of Dallas, have.

For the record, the West side of Plano has a huge drug problem. Where there is money and teenagers, there typically is lots of drugs. East Plano is a LITTLE more run down, but it's nothing significant. Allen has even less of a disparity between the two sides of town.

However, in the long run, both sides are always just going to be Allen, and there's no real difference between them.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
There is something going on with the west vs east Allen thing because everyone I have ever known who has lived in Allen has commented on it one way or the other. West side - newer, nicer, keeping up with the Jones' mentality. East side - older, cheaper and down to earth folks. Course the high school and the public indoor pool/rec center are on the east side so everyone eventually spends time on the east side of Allen.

Clearly, West Alleners think they are better than East Alleners and East Alleners don't care. That's what I get from the people I know who live there.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 86,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
This thread is a joke, right?
You're debating which side of ALLEN has more prestige?!?!?!

When it comes down to it, both sides are just in Allen and don't have anything that a dozen other suburbs that are nice but nothing special have. Allen also can't claim the amenities that Plano or Frisco can claim, let alone Preston Hollow or Highland Park, or Lakewood, the real "prestige" areas of Dallas, have.

For the record, the West side of Plano has a huge drug problem. Where there is money and teenagers, there typically is lots of drugs. East Plano is a LITTLE more run down, but it's nothing significant. Allen has even less of a disparity between the two sides of town.

However, in the long run, both sides are always just going to be Allen, and there's no real difference between them.
Wow, someone is bitter about not being able to live in west Allen. Have you compared the demographics for the 75093 (west Plano) zip code, to those of 75074 (east Plano)?

Sorry, but I would consider the disparity in income, property & education levels in those two zip codes significant enough to dispel your comment about east Plano being a "LITTLE" more run down.

Additionally, what 'amenities' are you referencing? Of course Plano and Frisco have more amenities than either side of Allen, both suburbs are significantly larger; although I'm not sure why that matters, considering west Allen borders Plano anyway. Also, with the development on Stacy as well as Watters Creek, I'd venture to say Allen DOES have more amenities than the "dozen other suburbs."

I like how people always seem to feel compelled to bring Lakewood & Preston Hollow into these threads. The poster had a question about east Allen v. west Allen. Believe it or not, they probably DON'T CARE about Lakewood or Preston Hollow. I know, it's difficult to stomach that considering EVERYONE aspires to live next to section 8 housing in east Dallas. Lakewood is a joke, but then again, I'd be jealous of people in Allen too if I lived in Lakewood and had to send my child to run down DISD schools with mace in hand for fear of being shot in Algebra class.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide87 View Post
Wow, someone is bitter about not being able to live in west Allen. Have you compared the demographics for the 75093 (west Plano) zip code, to those of 75074 (east Plano)?

Sorry, but I would consider the disparity in income, property & education levels in those two zip codes significant enough to dispel your comment about east Plano being a "LITTLE" more run down.

Additionally, what 'amenities' are you referencing? Of course Plano and Frisco have more amenities than either side of Allen, both suburbs are significantly larger; although I'm not sure why that matters, considering west Allen borders Plano anyway. Also, with the development on Stacy as well as Watters Creek, I'd venture to say Allen DOES have more amenities than the "dozen other suburbs."

I like how people always seem to feel compelled to bring Lakewood & Preston Hollow into these threads. The poster had a question about east Allen v. west Allen. Believe it or not, they probably DON'T CARE about Lakewood or Preston Hollow. I know, it's difficult to stomach that considering EVERYONE aspires to live next to section 8 housing in east Dallas. Lakewood is a joke, but then again, I'd be jealous of people in Allen too if I lived in Lakewood and had to send my child to run down DISD schools with mace in hand for fear of being shot in Algebra class.
Yeah, I'm so bitter about not growing up in "West Allen." Preston Hollow was really a rough upbringing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas