Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 01:42 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm so sorry about your hubby, Camper. I know that condition is pure hell.
I was at my doctor's this morning for a regular 6 month check up. I asked about getting the shingles shot. She told me that I could get one at a drug store. Her group does not keep them on hand because their freezer does not get cold enough to store them safely. I did get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. In other words, I was shot and I still feel shot.

I had asked my doctor if he gave shingles shots and he said no, because not enough people were willing to pay the $250.00 that it costs. So I got mine at Walgreens. That's also where I got my flu shot last year and this year. I have regular doctor appts but they just dont seem to coincide with the beginning of flu season.

And, after having the flu really bad one Christmas (when I had to lie on the floor of the Emergency Room because all the seats were taken), I'll never go without a flu shot again.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,007,468 times
Oh Ketabcha, I'm so sorry about your baby. A loss is a loss no mater if it was human or animal. (((hug)))...

Thanks for all the posts about hubby. I can't believe how well he's doing. I have known several that have had shingles and yes, it was awful and painful. That's why I got my shot as soon as I could. I guess I was a lucky one and insurance paid for it but I had to order it. Think I got it thru CVS. I get my flu shot every year without fail.

it's 87 here and reports are we 're going to get pounded with rain soon. Hope we get a lot but nothing like we got Memorial day weekend.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
...it's 87 here and reports are we 're going to get pounded with rain soon. Hope we get a lot but nothing like we got Memorial day weekend.

Same here. Maybe, if you're getting it too, it will come here from the west and my area will finally get some rain. Last time this side of town was wet, or even damp, was back on Memorial Day. There has been lots of rain since then but all on the east side of town. Not a drop for me. The hedges on one entire side of my back yard have all died.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Well, so far the weathermen's predictions have fallen flat. Supposed to be 70% chance of rain today -- they even predicted it would happen at lunchtime. According to doppler radar, nowhere in the city got even a drop. And I see that Camper's area looks dry too. But Ketabcha's area is getting drenched.

This weekend is supposed to be very wet, with possible street flooding. I guess we'll see if that happens.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM

Camper, just FYI: Forecasters were predicting 100% chance of heavy rain on Saturday and Sunday. Now the most accurate forecaster says that Saturday may be dry and the rain may not hit until Sunday.

My daughter is leaving for her quarterly hiking/camping trip tomorrow. She goes for a week or more with her dog 4-5 times a year. She was going to go to the Hill Country but decided not to because of the predicted rain. Then she thought about going to Arkansas but the rain is supposed to make it up there next week. So now she's thinking about going back to Santa Fe -- snow there but she likes snow even if her dog doesnt.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 AM

We've been getting drizzle on and off for 2 days now. Hate to hear your daughter cancelled her trip here. Where a bouts was she going to go? Always interested in when someone comes my way.

Our weather people are predicating conditions as bad as our floods of '98 which was quite devastating to our area. They make it sound like Houston needs to build an ark!!

Would love for everyone to jsut get some nice rain without the flooding.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
It's flooding here in the DFW area. My house is on fairly high ground but the houses behind me are on even higher ground. The den has not flooded in years.....not since I filled the weep holes with caulk. I have an in-ground pool that may spill over. I'll redirect with a sump pump if I have to. I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Even though I've had the pump for 25 or so years I have never used it.

There is something so soothing in hearing the rain outside and being "safe" and comfy in the house. I hope you guys, Camper and TFW, don't have to deal with flooding. The ground up here was so parched that I think it took a while for it to begin to absorb any water.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It's flooding here in the DFW area. My house is on fairly high ground but the houses behind me are on even higher ground. The den has not flooded in years.....not since I filled the weep holes with caulk. I have an in-ground pool that may spill over. I'll redirect with a sump pump if I have to. I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Even though I've had the pump for 25 or so years I have never used it.

There is something so soothing in hearing the rain outside and being "safe" and comfy in the house. I hope you guys, Camper and TFW, don't have to deal with flooding. The ground up here was so parched that I think it took a while for it to begin to absorb any water.
Looks like things have changed for us, we'll be lucky if we get any at all. Oh well, at least we got a little over the last few days,
I know what you mean about listening to it rain. I love to go camping and have it rain. We sit out if at all possible and if not we retreat to the motothome and watch from the big windshield. But the funny thing is I can NOT sleep if it's raining not matter if we're camping or home in our all brick house. Mom always said it was because when we were stationed on Taiwan ( !967-1969) there was an awful Typhoon that flooded two stories out of three in our school. I may have told this story here before but to this day big storms really freak me out, especially if I'm alone. Give me a nice gentle rain or have hubby home and I'm fine.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 PM

I saw photos of the flooding in your area, Ketabcha. Looks terrible. I also saw the radar showing how slow the rains were moving up there.

One news site (national, not local) attributed your heavy rain to Hurricane Patricia but I know that cant be right.

I agree that it's soothing to listen to soft-falling rain. The last time it rained in my area was Memorial Day and those rains were hard and accompanied by lots of thunder/lightning. Not comforting at all -- but we needed the rain badly, just as we do now.

I dont recall going so long between rainfalls as we have for the past 10 or so years.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Looks like things have changed for us, we'll be lucky if we get any at all...

Sorry, Camper. The weatherman has been wrong so many times since Memorial Day that I wonder if my area will get any rain too. First we were supposed to get a drenching yesterday, then today, then tomorrow -- and now they say Sunday. I'm so disappointed. I'd even be willing to take heavy street flooding, like we had on Memorial Day when the water came almost up to my front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff