Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say I hope the yr. is starting off better for you all. My best friend has lost 2 relatives and a good friend/neighbor (who had known her husband since childhood) in the last 3 days - I have a friend who is day-to-day. Enjoy the time you have here, we never know what tomorrow will bring. Sorry to be a bummer but I'm sad for her, I knew the one cousin and the friend (can't recall if I'd met the other cousin but I probably did) - we've been friends for over 40 yrs.

Otherwise, to lighten things up. Going to start taking Christmas down tomorrow (I did remove the outdoor stuff today since we're supposed to have rain tomorrow and Sat.) - decided I'm going to see what snowmen things that will work as "winter" decor and leave it up/around. A feral cat outside saw me today and didn't freak out and run, it stayed there while I talked to it

Update on my stolen bracelet: I had gotten a check from my ins. company just in time to have to buy mom 4 snow tires, LOL, with the rest I decided to treat myself to a piece of furniture I've been wanting/needing (I need more but...) - so got a table today, it's in my car but I can't get it out - I'd planned to ask one of my neighbors but they were all out (and although I know it's too heavy for me I was going to attempt it) - I cannot figure out how they got it in the car backseat!! (there were two guys so maybe the combo. of turning, etc.?) - hoping it'll be okay in the car and no moisture will really affect it.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Sorry if this was a downer post - I received my little sample pack of the LaRoche skin cream - haven't tried it yet. Not sure why these companies do that tiny pack though (unless you already know the product and use it, then a little pack would be great for travel). I so miss the old days when companies sent out something that you could try more than once (and a coupon) so that you wanted to continue using it.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Flamingo, have you thought that the price of freebies has gone up tremendously? Not just the making of the product but also the cost of manufacturing it, then the cost of the container in which it's stored, then the cost of the mailing envelope and postage, etc etc? I'm truly surprised that any company still send freebies these days.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:16 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times
I am not sure what the issue is, but there are so few freebies being offered to begin with and then I do agree they are skimpier and skimpier. I suspect the mailing and packaging must have one up considerably?
It really is the only way to get the product into the hands of the potential consumer, (unless they go to stores and give out samples but that's really limited). This is especially for personal care items.
Food items you might actually have at someone's house but personal care, there is no way like that.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:23 AM

I agree, Mayvenne. There are many products that I'd never have bought if I hadnt received a freebie sample in the mail.

I think it's a shame that so many companies arent offering freebies any longer or may have reduced the size of their freebies due to cost. But that's the way things are nowadays. I cant fault companies for not wanting to spend more money on freebies -- maybe their research showed that people arent influenced to buy as a result of getting a freebie.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:34 PM

I guess it's the cost of mailing as well but I do so miss the samples (and the coupons). I've purchased some products because of the name (L'Oreal) and been really unhappy with them. I've also stopped buying many things because I just don't know if I would like them. I don't want to put the money out and hate something - I really think it would be to their advantage to let us check something out before purchasing. I am someone who shops by sales, coupons, what I like and I also tell many others when I find something great (also tell them when something isn't great). Brands need to start up at least offering coupons like they did in the old days and get a following, and good opinions that are passed on to others.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,013,722 times
Maybe we need to start emailing the company's that we miss the samples and why. It's worth a shot. I sure miss the full size samples. I was always amazed at what some companies would pay postage on though. I got a full size salad dressing, mayo and pickles a few years back. It's a wonder they didn't break!!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year. I for one am glad to get it all packed away. My house feels huge now!!!

Old 01-06-2020, 03:24 PM

I took my Jeep to the repair shop this morning. They say they'll need it to be there all week for the rear differential replacement. Thankfully, I ran all my errands last week and was able to re-schedule some doctor appointments.

A few hours ago I started feeling very achy. Every joint in my body hurts. This is exactly how I felt years ago when I got the flu really bad. I did get my flu vaccination (in September) so, if I'm getting the flu, I hope it will be a light case.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:39 PM

Have some hot tea and O.J. - I assume you got a flu shot? Hoping your repairs don't cost too much!

Old 01-06-2020, 04:56 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,013,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I took my Jeep to the repair shop this morning. They say they'll need it to be there all week for the rear differential replacement. Thankfully, I ran all my errands last week and was able to re-schedule some doctor appointments.

A few hours ago I started feeling very achy. Every joint in my body hurts. This is exactly how I felt years ago when I got the flu really bad. I did get my flu vaccination (in September) so, if I'm getting the flu, I hope it will be a light case.
Oh no!!! I hope it's just a 24 hour thing and not the full blown flu. I get my shot every year. They say I'm " high risk" becasue of the fibromyalgia. Funny thing is I feel that way every day so not sure how I'd tell. Maybe try some Nyquil ? Hunker down wherever you'll be most comfortable and just rest. Please remember to eat . Dry toast is always my go to food when my stomach is off. I think I could live on dry toast. I think it comes from mom always freezing the bread and toasting it made it better.

Hope your Jeep is done on time and feel better soon. Don't forget to check in soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff