Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 PM

179 posts, read 706,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
It's not just Washington. Heard on the news that Ford is releasing a new Fiesta diesel that gets 65MPG, but guess what? It won't be available in the US. How much do you think the oil companies paid ford to keep that car out of the US market?
Like it or not, bribes and pay-offs are a big part of corporate America as well as state and local government. That's likely not going to change.
That is a hugh jump. Maybe the diesel offered is not "green" enough for this country? That the car is not safe enough?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
It's not just Washington. Heard on the news that Ford is releasing a new Fiesta diesel that gets 65MPG, but guess what? It won't be available in the US. How much do you think the oil companies paid ford to keep that car out of the US market?

Like it or not, bribes and pay-offs are a big part of corporate America as well as state and local government. That's likely not going to change.

True Rossc but this is all part of the lobbying in washington. Paying off or bribing goverment officials to keep this going. I believe they call this "special interest".
Until this changes, not much else will......unfortunately!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
"

And while I too believe that diplomacy should come first, my fear is that Barack will be Jimmy Carter part two. When diplomacy fails, I want a leader that will take action. In my opinion I don't think that Barack is that person.
Many people have the same fear baconator that Barack will be Jimmy Carter the second.
I sure hope not and I think he is smarter than that. I really do. doesn't mean I'm right, just means this is how I think.

Our current president, as far as I am concerned, rushed into war with Iraq. I remember watching this unfold.

We need someone that will exhaust every possible means of diplomacy first then if that doesn't work........do what we need to do.

Just take a look at the cold war all those years. Neither Russia or the U.S. had an all out war but in the end , it was resolved. Until this latest attack on Georgia. I have no idea what is going on with that one. I don't even want to think about it now.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
rossc,

Come on!!! With the Toyota Prius selling like hot cakes in this Country, do you really think Ford does not want to sell that car here?
s.

Yeah but Toyota Prius doesn't get 65 miles to the gallon. Maybe half of that.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
I do not, however, think it wise to insult other people who share this planet with us, especially as I think that many of that "bunch of spineless Europeans" are, in ways that truly count, excellent people.
I come from European ancestory.

One thing I have noticed is the Europeans don't like us more and more with each passing day.

America doesn't have a good rep abroad.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM

53 posts, read 322,199 times
According to Businessweek

It would cost Ford $350 million to build a plant in Mexico (correction from my earlier post), when they are already spending nearly $1 billion monthly from cash reserves.

To import and sell the vehicle from England based on current exchange rates the vehicle would sell for $25,700. The Prius sells for $24,000. In addition to American's dislike for diesel and the increased cost in diesel, Ford does not see how the car could be profitable.

Follow the link for more. (unsure if it violates the city-data user agreement).

The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have

Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM

957 posts, read 3,701,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Great then you can name a company that was given our tax money to move. If you could give us their name, I would like to bring this up with my congressman. After checking the facts of course.
This is no secret. I remember Dateline and 60 Minutes stories on the topic. Your congressman is part of the problem. If you really want to research the topic, I'm sure you'll find plenty of info. It was all part of NAFTA and the plan to equalize global economies.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
According to Businessweek

It would cost Ford $350 million to build a plant in Mexico (correction from my earlier post), when they are already spending nearly $1 billion monthly from cash reserves.

To import and sell the vehicle from England based on current exchange rates the vehicle would sell for $25,700. The Prius sells for $24,000. In addition to American's dislike for diesel and the increased cost in diesel, Ford does not see how the car could be profitable.

Follow the link for more. (unsure if it violates the city-data user agreement).

The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have
I don't believe that's the whole story. There are plenty of diesel vehicles in the US and they all pass emissions just fine. There is a growing market here for a car that gets 65MPG. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, it is more profitable not to sell that car in the US. I is public knowledge that the oil companies have paid to kill fuel saving technology.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The purpose of business is to make a profit. If I owned a business and the cost of labor and taxes affected my profit, I would move overseas too.
Just like a lot of out of state businesses incorporate in Delaware, because of the tax advantage. Most business are out to make a profit, not provide charity.
Absolutely...My argument is that the government should not have encouraged it. They should be doing all they can to keep US business alive but it seems like just the opposite.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:49 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,470,000 times
Quote:
This is no secret. I remember Dateline and 60 Minutes stories on the topic. Your congressman is part of the problem. If you really want to research the topic, I'm sure you'll find plenty of info. It was all part of NAFTA and the plan to equalize global economies.
So I guess you can't name a company that was giving multi-millions of tax payer dollars to move their operation overseas. What possible motivation would it be to do this?

Quote:
I don't believe that's the whole story. There are plenty of diesel vehicles in the US and they all pass emissions just fine. There is a growing market here for a car that gets 65MPG. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, it is more profitable not to sell that car in the US. I is public knowledge that the oil companies have paid to kill fuel saving technology.
I'm sorry you don't believe it but that doesn't make it any less true.

It is public knowledge? Again, if you would please show me where you got this info, I would love to see it. I know this is something that some people assume, but I'm not aware of any proof.

Quote:
Absolutely...My argument is that the government should not have encouraged it. They should be doing all they can to keep US business alive but it seems like just the opposite.
I agree with you here. Our gubmint would rather tax those evil corporations for the good of the people. Somehow I don't think it's working out how they thought it would. But, rather than give incentives to stay, they find more ways to drive them out. What the heck, it all sounds good and they get the useful idiots to vote for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: