Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
What we need is less politics and more action. If by some miracle a politician does get something done, it ends up costing 100 times more than it should and taking 50 times longer.

The people we elect are tearing this county apart. When they offer multi-million dollar incentives to US companies to close and move overseas, what exactly to they expect to happen to the unemployment rate? It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

That's just one small example of what the fed has done to get us where we are today.
Wow, what company was offered multi-million dollar incentives to move overseas?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
Where did you get your information?
I did some snoping on snopes.

He was legally married to Carole when he applied for marriage license to Cindy.
But Carol and he had been separated.
McCain makes no bones about the fact his first marriage was his fault due to his selfishness and immaturity.
So this is no secret and he admits to this.

Nevertheless, even though legally married to his first wife, they had been separated.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 AM

392 posts, read 991,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Carole

I would like to know the answer to this too.

The problem with these discussions, people get hot headed over the issues then go to the extreme. It is very hard to tell the rumors from facts at times.
I am going to check on snope. They usually clear up these kinds of matter.
Snopes is a good one. It might be there someplace. elizamary -Have you checked your email lately?

Carole

Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM

179 posts, read 706,616 times
Default whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Now, Clinton vs. Romney would have been a liberal vs. a conservative. So I disagree with you, regarding that is what the race should have been. What we have now is a moderate vs. a moderate [despite what the pundits say about Obama being liberal], which is what this country needs.
I think you're not quite right on that assessment Tim, it's an independent think tank that rated the Senate and Obama came out as the most ( #1) liberal of the senators in his voting. Admittedly he has very few votes under his belt because he's only been there for a year or so. This is what worries me about me - No, notta, none - experience. IMHO, he is a fad candidate and part of that is because of his race. ( How many folks I've heard say - "I'm making history, I get the chance to vote a black man [or woman] in for president). He is an awesome orator on prepared speeches but I don't think a good one extemporaneously. Again - the POTUS - is a more or less figure head position with cabinet members, advisors, etc, bringing info to him and then a decision is made. Maybe we should vote on the "advisor" positions rather than the pres him/herself.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I have to admit, snopes is a place we all go to check things out, but what makes us think they are always correct? I have seen a couple of situations that I would question. Originally, I believe they were geared to telling it like it is, I am not sure anymore.

Yes, eliza, the marriage lisence thing was in Newsweek when they did a spread on Cindy McCain, but did you know that was a few days prior to the divorce being final? I am not sure what your point was when you mentioned this?

Nita

Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 AM

179 posts, read 706,616 times
[quote=elizamary;5374413]What we need to do is gather up all information for different news sources, do the research and most of all use our common sense. Too many people don't do this these days. That is where the term sheep comes in. this applies to both parties.
...............QUOTE]

And a rep point to you, E'mary. I have a relative who, if God Almighty-an R- were to run against Mickey Mouse -a D -, she would vote for MM. A wasted vote I would say.
I say vote for the person, not the party!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to admit, snopes is a place we all go to check things out, but what makes us think they are always correct? I have seen a couple of situations that I would question. Originally, I believe they were geared to telling it like it is, I am not sure anymore.

Yes, eliza, the marriage lisence thing was in Newsweek when they did a spread on Cindy McCain, but did you know that was a few days prior to the divorce being final? I am not sure what your point was when you mentioned this?

Nita

Sometimes we don't always want to hear the truth and can easily dismiss it as not true.
But
Can you be more specific and back up your statement?

[quote=Older&Wiser;5384613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
What we need to do is gather up all information for different news sources, do the research and most of all use our common sense. Too many people don't do this these days. That is where the term sheep comes in. this applies to both parties.
...............QUOTE]

And a rep point to you, E'mary. I have a relative who, if God Almighty-an R- were to run against Mickey Mouse -a D -, she would vote for MM. A wasted vote I would say.
I say vote for the person, not the party!
LOL.........depends if it is really God almighty or if they are just saying they are.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM

271 posts, read 995,958 times
Those of us who have lived in Delaware for as long as Joe Biden has been a senator, have most likely attended more than one event where he's been present, have met him briefly, and many have--because, yes, he is friendly and interested--had at least a brief chat. Based on all my husband and I have heard, observed, and learned from people who know him well, he is a genuinely good, bright, compassionate person. He has had a great deal of experience in government, in various ways, and knows who he should know, both in this country and throughout much of the world.

I would not live in fear if Joe Biden had to take over the presidency. I'm sorry to say that, even though I am a feminist, very little about Sarah Palin reassures me in this regard. I would be fearful if she were president, and given John McCain's age and his recurrences of one of the most deadly of all cancers, I think there's a very good chance that we might see her in that position, if he were elected.

I think Obama has the high intelligence, the education, the insight, wide-ranging life experience, and even at quite a young age, the wisdom to lead this nation. The next president will not only govern this country, but will be in the position of leading the free world. John McCain had some good days, rather long ago now. I remember his attempts at reforming campaign funding. I believe that his day is past. I believe that voters should ask themselves if they think Sarah Palin is capable of leading the free world. We need someone with vision; nothing I've seen or read or heard from her leads me to believe that this is one of her qualities. We truly need a visionary. They are few and far between.

While you are asking yourself if you're better off than you were eight years ago--and it's hard to believe that you are, or that after the dust of the economic disaster settles a bit and you're truly faced with hard reality you'll consider yourself to be--please ask yourself some other questions. There are many to ask in so many areas that I won't attempt to address them here--even if you are reading still! But do please think of all the incredibly difficult, expensive, and frightening problems in this country, and then think for a minute, as well, of what you've heard regarding our standing in the world.

More than ever before, we know the smallness of this planet, and how we are, all of us, citizens of the planet almost as much as we are citizens of any one country. We owe ourselves, the people of this country, a leader of vision and potential greatness, and we owe the people of the world the same. The citizens of virtually every country we consider an ally seem to believe that the man who can and should steer our way through this minefield of disasters is Barack Obama. Are they making my mind up for me? No. Will I be glad to vote for someone who has the potential to raise the opinion of my fellow world citizens regarding our country? Yes, of course.

I do not envy Obama the well beyond formidable tasks which will confront him if he is elected, but he has all my support.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
[quote=elizamary;5384728]Sometimes we don't always want to hear the truth and can easily dismiss it as not true.
But
Can you be more specific and back up your statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post

LOL.........depends if it is really God almighty or if they are just saying they are.
yes I can;

A few years ago, a young lady who worked for the Christian Science Monotor was held captive for quite some time in Iraq, do you remember that? Prior to her release and afterwards every media source I can think of: of course I don't read or hear them all, but do keep abreast of what is going on, as well as most and better than many, pointed out she had been a anti war advocate. Many thought this was one of the reasons for her release. Of course none of us know if that is true but snopes said she was not a war protester. I never take one source as the gospel truth, but I do have to believe when the scores is about 20 to 1, the 20 is probably right. If I think hard enough I could think of a few others, but this has always stuck in my mind.

Again, my point is what you said last night, read and don't take any one source as fact. I am not saying the information you got from Snopes isn't true, though I don't see what difference it makes when the marriage license was obtained as long as the marriage was legal. what I am saying is, even Snopes can be slanted or not totally correct.

Nita

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
I think you're not quite right on that assessment Tim, it's an independent think tank that rated the Senate and Obama came out as the most ( #1) liberal of the senators in his voting.
I hear what you're saying O&W, and I have no doubt that some of his positions are liberal.

I've just become very skeptical of much of the information that's out there; it seems like everyone has an agenda and no one offers good, non-biased analysis anymore. I try to tune out all the talk, and to make my own judgements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: