Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBattleMC View Post
Denver is almost 50% Mexican, so its not low percentage.
Actually, Denver is about 33% Hispanic, so the Mexican population is probably around 25-30%. The African-American population is close to 10% in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I figured as much. I made the last post before seeing this post.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM

345 posts, read 914,374 times
I am not trying to be rude but is that 27.5% counting illegals? Or people who do not bother to fill out the census?

I also think it depends on what area/town you are in. Mine is 50% white, 48% Hispanic and 2% other. Does not bother me in the least nor do we have racial problems that I know of.

To the OP I doubt your race matters here, never been to NE so I cannot speak for them or there job situation. Visit here, visit NE, take a vacation but do not give notice or anything, apply for jobs, if you do not get a job then stay put until you can get one in an area you like.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
I am not trying to be rude but is that 27.5% counting illegals? Or people who do not bother to fill out the census?

I also think it depends on what area/town you are in. Mine is 50% white, 48% Hispanic and 2% other. Does not bother me in the least nor do we have racial problems that I know of.
27.5% counts illegals and people who don't bother to fill out the census. The census goes great lengths to make sure everyone is counted, one way or another.

I wonder why the OP is looking at Denver, and I also wonder if he knows Denver isn't in Nebraska (since he mentions NE and not CO). Denver is 33% non-white, and 37.1% of the population has bachelor's degrees (or higher). It's not a place with "few" minorities or "few" people with degrees.

Scottsbluff's population is 0.5% black, and has a substantial Spanish speaking population (15.6%) (since these were things the OP mentioned). Only 18% have a degree. Check it out, I've been all around Scottsbluff (but never in it). It's an awesome area.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 AM

48 posts, read 79,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
So basically you are wanting to get hired based on ethnicity, with little regard to education and qualifications? If that's so, I'm sure you'll be a real asset to the company... I feel sorry for the company that doesn't hire you, because I smell a lawsuit.

No you miss understood.It seems to be hard for non-minorities to understand this what I mean by my statements.(no offense)

What I'm saying is currently less than 5% of blks hold a 4 year degree or higher.Secondly there are not many in this field that I'm in.So if a company needs to comply to EOE standards then I feel that if I meet the edu/experince qualifications then I will have an "edge" so to speak.

This means that only 1.9 blks in america have what I'm going to have.If you were from a poor country in europe and some how manage to get a college education I'm sure you would stand out also.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post

To the OP I doubt your race matters here, never been to NE so I cannot speak for them or there job situation. Visit here, visit NE, take a vacation but do not give notice or anything, apply for jobs, if you do not get a job then stay put until you can get one in an area you like.
Well I have not really had issues finding employment here in MA.It took me 10 days to get my first job when I moved here.I just need a change of pace and I would be closer to my home state of TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
27.5% counts illegals and people who don't bother to fill out the census. The census goes great lengths to make sure everyone is counted, one way or another.

I wonder why the OP is looking at Denver, and I also wonder if he knows Denver isn't in Nebraska (since he mentions NE and not CO). Denver is 33% non-white, and 37.1% of the population has bachelor's degrees (or higher). It's not a place with "few" minorities or "few" people with degrees.

Scottsbluff's population is 0.5% black, and has a substantial Spanish speaking population (15.6%) (since these were things the OP mentioned). Only 18% have a degree. Check it out, I've been all around Scottsbluff (but never in it). It's an awesome area.
The reason I am interested in Denver is that its close to TX and offers many of the things Houston has w/o some of the bad stuff.

Over all my research has shown that someone like myself is best suited to live in a western state.Denver is going to be the first stop of many.I plan on moving to FL CA WA and possibly new york over the course of my life.This is why I chose to remain single, with no kids.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:00 AM

I want to thank everyone for their input in this thread.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-27-2011 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Correction made, as requested

Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 45,258 times
I'm a Masters level AA male who moved to Denver in '09 (originally from Maryland). You might enjoy the Washington Virginia Vale or Glendale neighborhoods... actually, Glendale is a city surrounded by Denver. Both of these areas are close to downtown Denver & have an African-American presence. North East Denver & North Aurora are the most disadvantaged areas, but also the most diverse. Your education & professionalism may not be a good fit.

In regards to the race aspect here. I do get quite a few stares from people (I live in Westminster, CO) when I shop here. I guess many assume I can't afford to shop/live here... I don't know. If anyone is offended that you would like to have some cultural presence in your neighborhood, that's just their ignorance. Many would not consider moving to any neighborhood where people don't look similar to them.

I wish you luck in your search here. Denver is a great area and I have made some of my best friends here. Ignorance is everywhere... but most of my experiences have been positive.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,815,498 times
This is probably not the most PC thing I am about to say, but the fact is there are hardly any African American people in the area compared to many other cities. The business world is constantly looking for ways to be viewed as progressive,forward thinking, and yes the area does try to move in that direction...What I am trying to say is as a well qualified BLACK DUDE..you may actually have an advantage in some industries looking for minority hires..I know that might sound pretty racist, but take it for what it is worth..Good luck throw your hat in the ring and see what happens..DENVER IS A GREAT CITY..

Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowmetoo View Post
I'm a Masters level AA male who moved to Denver in '09 (originally from Maryland). You might enjoy the Washington Virginia Vale or Glendale neighborhoods... actually, Glendale is a city surrounded by Denver. Both of these areas are close to downtown Denver & have an African-American presence. North East Denver & North Aurora are the most disadvantaged areas, but also the most diverse. Your education & professionalism may not be a good fit.

In regards to the race aspect here. I do get quite a few stares from people (I live in Westminster, CO) when I shop here. I guess many assume I can't afford to shop/live here... I don't know. If anyone is offended that you would like to have some cultural presence in your neighborhood, that's just their ignorance. Many would not consider moving to any neighborhood where people don't look similar to them.

I wish you luck in your search here. Denver is a great area and I have made some of my best friends here. Ignorance is everywhere... but most of my experiences have been positive.
It's good to see that I'm not alone.Thank you for chiming in.Not to concerned with the AA culture I had plenty of that spending 20 years in Houston.I think I'm gonna start off living in Auro then later on when I get a job move to arvada.People not looking similar to me is no issue.I currently live with people from south america.I'm the only american here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
This is probably not the most PC thing I am about to say, but the fact is there are hardly any African American people in the area compared to many other cities. The business world is constantly looking for ways to be viewed as progressive,forward thinking, and yes the area does try to move in that direction...What I am trying to say is as a well qualified BLACK DUDE..you may actually have an advantage in some industries looking for minority hires..I know that might sound pretty racist, but take it for what it is worth..Good luck throw your hat in the ring and see what happens..DENVER IS A GREAT CITY..
This is exactly the purpose of my thread.I'm glad that someone understands my reasoning.

Thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver