Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times

Advertisements

These days you do what you have to to get a job! I work with a lot of gay people and my being gay definitely helped me get the job. So many jobs these days are found via friends/networking, etc. Obviously you have to have the basic skills, but a lot of it is also about perception and who they think will fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,957 times
Everyone I know has used a recruiter and had no problem getting a job. They probably each had a few interviews before getting hired, but got a job within a couple months. Two were hired out of state, so they already had a job when they got here.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM

48 posts, read 78,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
These days you do what you have to to get a job! I work with a lot of gay people and my being gay definitely helped me get the job. So many jobs these days are found via friends/networking, etc. Obviously you have to have the basic skills, but a lot of it is also about perception and who they think will fit in.
Another who understands! Tnx

Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Can't get a job on your own eh?

No biggie, I get it. When I got into 9th grade I wanted to be a cheerleader so bad, but I knew I wasn't good enough. I didn't practice enough all summer, I was lazy unlike the other girls who really worked hard. But my brother was dating one of the older girls who was a judge. So I asked him for a favor. Well it worked, I got in. I didn't deserve it and took a spot from a girl who really did deserve it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augnon View Post
Another who understands! Tnx
Your saying "another who understands" as if racism is running rampant in the work place. I have never been declined a job that I've had the skills for. If you go looking for racism and setting your expectations low you'll most certainly find it. We are merely trying to prepare you for the real world. Not every business that passes on hiring you does so because of your skin color, maybe you should concentrate more on sharpening your skills. Whether you're gay, black, or an alien....if you have the best set of skills an employer needs you'll get hired. Plain and simple, have not not seen otherwise and I've worked since I was 14.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Your saying "another who understands" as if racism is running rampant in the work place. I have never been declined a job that I've had the skills for. If you go looking for racism and setting your expectations low you'll most certainly find it. We are merely trying to prepare you for the real world. Not every business that passes on hiring you does so because of your skin color, maybe you should concentrate more on sharpening your skills. Whether you're gay, black, or an alien....if you have the best set of skills an employer needs you'll get hired. Plain and simple, have not not seen otherwise and I've worked since I was 14.
I've seen it happen to my partner, who is college educated, successful, and a 6 figure earner. He's documented racism and won in a lawsuit. And I have a suspicion that I was treated poorly in my last job simply because I'm gay. Everyone can have completely different experiences, but if you're white, heterosexual, and male, you probably won't see a lot of these thing happen.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've seen it happen to my partner, who is college educated, successful, and a 6 figure earner. He's documented racism and won in a lawsuit. And I have a suspicion that I was treated poorly in my last job simply because I'm gay. Everyone can have completely different experiences, but if you're white, heterosexual, and male, you probably won't see a lot of these thing happen.

This is exactly how I think about things. This stuff still happens. Everyone is not as open minded as the people on this forum.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augnon View Post
This is exactly how I think about things. This stuff still happens. Everyone is not as open minded as the people on this forum.
While this is true, not every non-minority is out to limit you career wise. Approach job opportunities with an open mind, as a means to show your brilliance and worth. Not just "let me get in however I can". That mentality is a sign of mediocrity, and if an employer has to be forced to hire you why work for them anyway.

Companies most certainly realize the importance of hiring individuals from varying social/economic backgrounds. The individuals often bring innovative, positive concepts to an aging mindset, BUT absolutely no one should be forced to hire someone of a certain skin color because of governmental mandates.

Not trying to come down on you, I simply implore you to not be so naive and mediocre in your mindset. Affirmative Action does more harm to minorities than good. AA allows those who chose to take advantage, to not try as hard.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 45,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
This statement blows my mind.

How can people in a large metro area in the year 2011 in The United States of America still be hung up on race???

I see so many different types of people every day - where I shop, where my kids go to school, where I work, where I eat.

I really don't get it...
Your guess is as good as mine. I could honestly show you better than I could tell you. My feelings.. people don't normally see black people here (I don't blend in well). So, they are surprised to see me. A few months ago... a child at my children's daycare asked, "Why are you brown?" Apparently, if it doesn't affect your world, nobody talks about it. I'm teaching my kids to love and respect differences. Everybody doesn't look the same, nor should they.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowmetoo View Post
Your guess is as good as mine. I could honestly show you better than I could tell you. My feelings.. people don't normally see black people here (I don't blend in well). So, they are surprised to see me. A few months ago... a child at my children's daycare asked, "Why are you brown?" Apparently, if it doesn't affect your world, nobody talks about it. I'm teaching my kids to love and respect differences. Everybody doesn't look the same, nor should they.
I felt the same way when I was living in Littleton.

Something else I wanted to say. IT seems some people in this thread have forgotten about the 400+ years of oppression and how that affects generation after generation. It most certainly affected my family line. But I'm slowly overcoming it. I will be the first with a college a degree for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver