Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,498,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The low temps certainly have been impressive. You know, as I think back, it seems we have a bone-chilling few days in early December almost every year.

Here you go....

12/5/2013 Denver, CO Sub Zero Arctic Cold Weather B-Roll - YouTube

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
So I was justing looking at the weather for Denver...

NOAA National Weather Service

Talk about being COLD !

At 11am it's saying Denver right now it's about 3 degrees out.

Current Conditions
Denver CO
Partly Cloudy
3°F
-16°C
Last Update on 6 Dec 10:55 am MST

Compare that to the 58 degrees where I'm at right now.

I know Colorado and the Denver area is really fast growing, tons and tons of people moving there. But how could you stand it being that cold? The coldest weather I've ever been in my lifetime is temps maybe in the 20's.
I moved to Denver from Orange County. I used to complain there when it was in the 50s lol! This cold isn't pleasant, and the length of this Arctic outbreak seems longer than any other I've experienced, but the average high today is something like 44 degrees. It doesn't stay this cold for months on end, you know! We just had a week with highs in the 50s to near 70. I had windows open in our house last week. So you just tolerate the brutal cold when it happens, and pretty soon it warms back up.

And I checked the forecast for the City of Orange, where I'm from. It's supposed to be highs in the low 50s and lows down to 37 coming up. Quite cold and rare weather for OC as well. This is just a huge, nasty cold air mass.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I moved to Denver from Orange County. I used to complain there when it was in the 50s lol! This cold isn't pleasant, and the length of this Arctic outbreak seems longer than any other I've experienced, but the average high today is something like 44 degrees. It doesn't stay this cold for months on end, you know! We just had a week with highs in the 50s to near 70. I had windows open in our house last week. So you just tolerate the brutal cold when it happens, and pretty soon it warms back up.

And I checked the forecast for the City of Orange, where I'm from. It's supposed to be highs in the low 50s and lows down to 37 coming up. Quite cold and rare weather for OC as well. This is just a huge, nasty cold air mass.
The weather map I saw, showed the cold front pushing all the way into Mexico. It's pretty bad. The temperature here in the Bay Area has been dropping into the high 20s. Four homeless people have already died of hypothermia in San Jose. And Las Vegas has been below freezing too with a forecast of snow.

Unfortunately when these things happen, it's a lot worse on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually I believe that New York City has a more mild climate then Denver.

Current conditions:

Denver: 6.9 °F, Feels Like 7 °F, Conditions: Scattered Clouds
New York City: 45.1 °F, Feels Like 45 °F ,Conditions: Overcast
Chicago: 21.9 °F, Feels Like 22 °F, Conditions: Overcast

But hey, at least you got the sun peaking through the clouds to make you "feel" all warm in that bone chilling 7° temperature.
You are going to pick one day and compare? Seems like a valid way to make an argument.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You are going to pick one day and compare? Seems like a valid way to make an argument.
No, here is a second day. I'll give you as many as you want. Are you denying that NYC has warmer average winter temperatures then Denver? Because if you are you should do some research, before you get proven wrong.

Denver: 7.2 °F Feels Like 7 °F, Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
New York City: 43 °F Feels Like 41 °F, Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Chicago: 21.9 °F Feels Like 22 °F, Conditions: Partly Cloudy

Last edited by KaaBoom; 12-07-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 12:25 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Here are two sets of numbers for NYC vs Denver

- NYC: January Avgs are 36 High and 23 Low.

- DEN: January Avgs are 47 High and 16 Low.

From this info, it seems that Denver is milder in winter than NYC. Denver has average warmer highs in January but colder lows. Short term variations exist, like our current cold spell in Denver, but cherry picking a few days of data to make a point is not really a viable argument to offer. Did I misread the charts?

Much lower humidity in Denver makes the temps in COLO more tolerable too.

For whatever reason, it seems KaaBoom dislikes all things Denver. It gets old. Good info is always welcome, permanent animosity is tiring.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-07-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
You guys are taking a beating. Stay safe.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:37 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You guys are taking a beating. Stay safe.
Thank you. At least we don't have any ice storms.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here are two sets of numbers for NYC vs Denver

- NYC: January Avgs are 36 High and 23 Low.

- DEN: January Avgs are 47 High and 16 Low.

From this info, it seems that Denver is milder in winter than NYC. Denver has average warmer highs in January but colder lows. Short term variations exist, like our current cold spell in Denver, but cherry picking a few days of data to make a point is not really a viable argument to offer. Did I misread the charts?

Much lower humidity in Denver makes the temps in COLO more tolerable too.

For whatever reason, it seems KaaBoom dislikes all things Denver. It gets old. Good info is always welcome, permanent animosity is tiring.
Actually I love Denver. Just not the weather (and the out of control growth, but that's another story).

I'm talking about the average temperature. Not the average high temperature. Yes we all know that Denver is famous for the sun peaking out of the clouds for a few hours in the afternoon, in even the worst weather, and warming things up to an almost bearable temperature for a few hours. The Denver Visitors Center keeps reminding us about that over 300 days of sun. But most people are at work at that time. By the time they are going home, the sun is setting and the temperatures are plummeting. And Denver's low temperatures are merciless. I don't know of any other area out side of the Great Lakes or uper-midwest that compares to the cold low temperatures and the amount of snow that Denver gets.

The average 24 hr. temp in January is 30.7 in New York vs 29.8 in Denver. The average year round 24 hr. temp is 53.8 in New York vs 50.2 in Denver. That makes NYC a slightly warmer and more mild climate then Denver IMHO. Now I'm not saying that I think New York's climate is superior to Denver's. By the numbers they actually seem pretty comparable. More a matter of personal preferences, as to which is better.

I'm sorry that you get tired of my posts. But as long as there are so many cheerleaders for Denver's weather, I think the other side of the story should be told by someone who has lived in Denver, and was not that impressed with Denver's climate.

DENVER STAPLETON AP, DENVER COUNTY, COLORADO USA Weather History and Climate Data
NEW YORK,WESTERLEIGH, RICHMOND COUNTY, NEW YORK USA Weather History and Climate Data

Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
^^Not a heck of a lot of difference, as far as I can tell. Not much different in Pittsburgh, either, if memory serves me correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver