Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:50 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,124,118 times

Advertisements

Oh man, where to start.

We've eaten at J.Alexander's three more times since I last posted. I think we have a problem. Their steak rolls area top 5 dish for my wife, she loves them. And their gourmet mac is still delicious as always. Crab cakes and the steak are the only things I ever get here, so I have no idea what else is good LOL. Their Chocolate cake melts in your mouth, I wish I had some right now.

Ate at this mom and pop joint called Crown Burgers on Broadway south. I got a monster, sloppy ass double cheeseburger with everything on it. It was pretty good, not great, but for what it was...a fast food burger, was much better than a chain restaurant burger. Chocolate milkshake was good. But what really did it for this place was the chili dog. My wife gave me a bite, it was one of the better chili dogs I've had in years. Awfully spicy (which we both love), and bursting with flavor. I think they boil their hot dogs so it was juicy and tender. Yum. No picture of the dog

We've also been to our usual BBQ spot, Piggn' Out a few times lately. It's in Lakewood, on Morrison Road between Kipling & Wadsworth. The ribs and smoked chicken were good as always, but this time we got the smoked beef rib as well. over a pound of tender, fatty meat right on the bone. it came with Teriyaki dipping sauce....dayum! It was unbelievably good. Better than their ribs, IMO, and I go to Piggin' Out for their ribs.

And to stick with the BBQ theme, I ate at Boney's for the first time ever yesterday. Went there with some coworkers for lunch, what a cool little place. It felt like a speakeasy, located underground right off 16th street in an office bldg. Holy **** it was good. I had their brisket platter with double mac. The meat was so freaking tender and it just fell apart as i ate it. I couldn't shovel it into my mouth fast enough. And the conrbread....dear god, the cornbread. It was both crunchy and soft, I don't know how they did it. Some sort of sorcery. I will definitely be going back. Soon.

We tried Rio Grande Mexican in Lone Tree, pretty disappointed. You ever been told by somebody to try a place because they say it's really good, and then you go there and it's not good at all? It's like, can I even trust anything they say anymore?! Service took forever, food was bland, atmosphere was blah. Seemed more like a place for DTC happy hour than to enjoy a good meal...maybe we just went on an off day or something. We'll never go back.

We go to Seasons 52 in Lone Tree a lot as well. Nothing really changes. They claim their menu is seasonal, which it is I guess, but it's basically the same dishes with each season, with a few minor adjustments. I love their duck wings in particular, and the lamb chops when they've got them. Scallops are my wife's favorite.

And we are regulars at Alamo Drafthouse, they should hire me as a spokesperson at this point. They have a special menu every few weeks for different movies. I had their Alien: Covenant themed "Chestburster pizza," last week loved it. Queso with beef is also tasty. Great the service and good food. IMO, there's no No better way to watch a movie in the Denver metro than at Alamo. We go to the one in Littleton on Santa Fe but I believe they just opened one in Sloan's Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 01:04 PM

760 posts, read 885,666 times
Went to Low Country over the weekend. We ordered the chicken, seemed kind of off, took a bike, and was completely raw on the inside. They replaced it, but didn't take it off the bill.

I seemed to be cursed by bad food experiences at over priced places in LoHi.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:10 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,264,326 times
I love Crown Burger - their gyros are great!

Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,434,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
We go to Seasons 52 in Lone Tree a lot as well. Nothing really changes. They claim their menu is seasonal, which it is I guess, but it's basically the same dishes with each season, with a few minor adjustments. I love their duck wings in particular, and the lamb chops when they've got them. Scallops are my wife's favorite.
I had the scallops at Seasons52 last week, my first time trying scallops since moving here. There were a lot of them and they were delicious!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,982,693 times
La Fuente, 44th/Federal:
-Below average food, fairly pricey ($44 before tip, 2 adults and a kid), but very good service that makes you feel like family. Tortillas tasted store bought. Nothing special about the beans. Chips and salsa about as slightly above average as you can get. Out of sopapillas. Churros with whip cream were decent.

Probably won't go back unless I am in the mood to be treated well.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:01 AM

22,390 posts, read 29,516,848 times
Skins-J Alexander is a knockoff from Hillstone btw. If you like J's, you'd like Hillstone as well.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,637,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Skins-J Alexander is a knockoff from Hillstone btw. If you like J's, you'd like Hillstone as well.
Where is Hillstone? Like Skins I have only been to J Alexanders because it is close to work and home.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:25 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,591,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Where is Hillstone? Like Skins I have only been to J Alexanders because it is close to work and home.
Cherry Creek North

Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 AM

22,390 posts, read 29,516,848 times
Hillstone is nation wide and used to be called Houstons. A chef that started at Hillstone left and started J Alexander copying the food from there.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,205,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Cherry Creek North
Is that in addition to Cherry Creek Grill (also a Hillstone's brand)? I have no idea why I'm asking considering I live in Houston now (the city, not the restaurant, LOL)....just curious.

On a related note, I found a recipe for a copycat version of Houston's spinach and artichoke dip, and it's hands down, the best such recipe I've ever made. Not exactly like the restaurant, but pretty close and very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver