Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:54 PM

14 posts, read 87,196 times

Advertisements

You guys are all right. The outdoorsy nature of Denver just fits my lifestyle more. Plus, I really want to adopt a dog from the Humane Society and there are more dog parks, outdoor spaces, etc. Even without a nearby ocean or lake, Denver is a great place.

Okay, this is going to sound really lame (but it is a legitimate question).
Honestly, does anyone have any suggestions for making new friends? Now, don't get me wrong, I am a social person. I can go to a party and talk to anyone. I can meet new guys and go on dates. But, how do you break into it? How do you move to a city where you know absolutely no one? I'm worried about meeting really good, lifelong girlfriends.

(my job would probably be at a small clinic with nobody young, so I can't meet anyone there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM

16 posts, read 92,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFree View Post
I am also moving to Denver from Atlanta in July to start work. I am currently searching for a roommate so if anyone is interested let me know.
I just may take you up on that! I'm also moving from Atlanta. Where exactly in Atlanta are you?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 33,557 times
I actually go to the University of Georgia and am graduating in May. I am originally from Marietta however.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM

249 posts, read 1,030,813 times
Katie, you're definitely on the right track with the adopting a dog idea. Honestly, I meet so many people just going to a park with the doggie. In particular I love Washington Park and Commons Park for this. It is so easy to just let your dogs meet each other and most likely (after you've learned the dog's name) you will eventually get around to meeting the person with the dog. I also think joining the kickball/dodgeball/volleyball club at one of the parks is also a great idea. Leads into beers afterward - cute guys - you get the idea.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,386,460 times
Yeah, and meeting a fellow dog lover wouldn't hurt. wink wink

Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM

19 posts, read 143,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_001166 View Post
You guys are all right. The outdoorsy nature of Denver just fits my lifestyle more. Plus, I really want to adopt a dog from the Humane Society and there are more dog parks, outdoor spaces, etc. Even without a nearby ocean or lake, Denver is a great place.

Okay, this is going to sound really lame (but it is a legitimate question).
Honestly, does anyone have any suggestions for making new friends? Now, don't get me wrong, I am a social person. I can go to a party and talk to anyone. I can meet new guys and go on dates. But, how do you break into it? How do you move to a city where you know absolutely no one? I'm worried about meeting really good, lifelong girlfriends.

(my job would probably be at a small clinic with nobody young, so I can't meet anyone there).
I think a lot of it has to do with what type of things you like to do for fun...as to how you would meet people. I think it's like any other big city except the things in Denver might differ slightly from say a Chicago or New York, etc. They have a more outdoorsy spin to them. It also depends on your personality. From my experience in Denver, people are generally very outgoing and nice when you go out to bars/clubs/etc. You could probably meet people where you live...if you are living in a loft type of place downtown then there will be tons of young people living right next door. Join a hiking club, someone mentioned a dog park (if you have a dog), get involved in some type of sport (volleyball, softball, etc.).

I know you will be working in a small clinic (I believe you said you are a physicians assistant) but there is probably a study club or group of physicians assistants that meet socially throughout the city. That is good b/c you'll immediately share a common bond and have stuff to talk about and avoid that sometimes awkward ice breaking. Go to coffee shops, restaurants and bars by where you live...just strike up conversations with people. If people have a problem with it, then you don't want to be their friend in the first place.

There are TONS of young people in Denver (from what I've seen on my trips there). And hey, I'll be there come June so I'll be one more person you'll be able to meet. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM

45 posts, read 170,271 times
Hey, I love reading these posts, so positive for a change than some forums out there. I am moving to Denver or Boulder in June... I am a 34 year old female with a 14 year old daughter... we should form a newcomers club and get the "making friends" part easy

Any of you Denverites mind sharing some of the best outdoorsy areas in Denver (close to mts, hiking, biking, walking, etc.)

Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM

15 posts, read 68,839 times
Yes, this is a great idea! There should be a 'newcomers club' or something. I have been reading posts for months and I see there are many new young people in town who are looking for friends. I will be moving at the end of March and would like to meet some of you. It'll be fun to explore the city together!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:10 PM

29 posts, read 89,963 times
Hey CeCe26!! CRAZY!!- my name is Cece too! wow. I am thinking about moving to Denver too! - From Orange County, CA. I was just in Denver this past weekend and had SO MUCH FUN! The people were GREAT! I had 2 dates in 4 days!! DAMMN!! Not like So. Cal. at all... Hot outdoorsy guys everywhere without attitude!! So much to see and do, positive people, beautiful surroundings, 4 major sports teams. HEAVEN! I am looking to move in summer / fall and I may want a roomate too! I am a 33 y/o SWF, athletic, positive, adventurer! I have never wanted to move away from the beach, but Denver is so awesome, I am seriously considering leaving my familly, my job and my friends to move. I have 6 friends and counting there in Denver.... a newcommers club is a GREAT IDEA!!! I'm in!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 29,531 times
I moved to Denver a year ago from NYC, and Colorado is a great lifestyle. It's sunny, people are friendly and there are tons of outdoor activities to do, if that's your thing. Starting over is not easy, and I definitely had to make an effort to meet people. I've met people through work, joined the Colorado Mountain Club, gone to college alumni events, met people through running clubs, etc. I've found that if you ask people if they want to meet up sometime, they're usually pretty open to it - I just had to put myself out there more than I might have in NY where I had my own network. Don't expect to feel settled / love everything overnight - it will take time to adjust. Before I moved here, a someone told me that it took them 10 months to feel settled w/friends, etc. So my expectation was that it would take a year to settle in. Now that I've made the move, it is hands down the best decision I ever made. I have no regrets.

Colorado is amazing and if you're open to trying to adventures and appreciate the area for what it is (instead of dwelling on what it isn't and how it isn't like your own town, etc.), this will be a great place to be.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver