Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,294 times

Advertisements

The pop shop, house of pies, drumstick chicken, mander's pizza, mazzolla's pizza, the cinema 70, budget tapes and records, peaches records the Scotsman die on 52 and federal.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Used to cruise The Scotchman all the time.. Even had a pic of my car on their wall of fame.... Used to work at the Denver Drumstick on Colfax and Locust, Loved the pop shoppe...All the different kinds of soda... House of pies..wonder how I stayed so thin.... Budget and Peaches both places I used to haunt....

Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I remember there were prostitutes hanging out on Larimer Street, before it started to become a tourist attraction.

I remember when UCD, also known as UCLA (University of Colorado between Lawrence and Arapahoe streets) was the major University in the area. Does that building even exist anymore? I believe at least part of it the building is still their South of 14th street. Some kind of theater center. It was in an old transit building that was re-purposed into classrooms.

The Auraria Campus first opened some of its buildings around 1975-76. I graduated from UCD in 1977.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I remember there were prostitutes hanging out on Larimer Street, before it started to become a tourist attraction.

I remember when UCD, also known as UCLA (University of Colorado between Lawrence and Arapahoe streets) was the major University in the area. Does that building even exist anymore? I believe at least part of it the building is still their South of 14th street. Some kind of theater center. It was in an old transit building that was re-purposed into classrooms.

The Auraria Campus first opened some of its buildings around 1975-76. I graduated from UCD in 1977.
That building is the Denver Tramway Building. It's a hotel now.

Hotel Teatro | Hotel History

Old 06-29-2014, 05:23 AM

6 posts, read 14,747 times
The Holly Inn had the best Mexican food in Denver in the mid '60's. Saw Burl Ives there one night when my roomie and I were over there drinking stingers...whoa! Larimer Sq. was the fun place to hang out and for shopping. I lived in an apt. in Littleton on Windermere, then in my roomie's dad's place in Cherry Creek Townhouses, then on 14th St. about 2 blocks west of Colorado Blvd. Worked for Gates APR&D. It was a great time to be in Denver.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 AM

Tulagi's ! The Hill. The Lamplighter in Boulder too.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:47 AM

Was trying to remember the name of the Hungry Dutchman...thanks for mentioning it! Also used to eat at Picadilly The Prime Rib downtown when my uncle came to town with his expense account. Best prime rib, yorkshire pudding and ceasar salad in the country! I think I remember flaming cherries jubilee for dessert.

Used to go to the White Spot in Littleton for weekend breakfasts.

Remember Neustedters? There was a store downtown and one in Cinderella City.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 AM

Ha! I got my first and only (so far) speeding ticket on Hampton heading to the airport from Cherry Creek in my '66 Mustang GT convertible. I was 20 and had a broken leg...skiing. The good old days.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,342 times
Default Some low-down TRUE facts about Denver from a born and raised native...

I was born the day after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. My father exclaimed "No good can come of this"...
Not in any specific order:
1. My Brothers Bar. originaly called Morey's and Whitie's. The staircase that goes nowhere originally led to a second story used for gambling and other shenanigans. The whole floor burned in a bad case of arson, and the stairs remain as a testament to history. I grew up in the bars along Fifteenth Street from Boulder Street to Broadway. Among them: The Highland Bar, one of the more famous Lesbian bars in Denver. Currently incarnated as Forrest House 5. MBB, above. Saliman's, on Fiftheenth and Larimer, where the railroad workers went to cash their paychecks. The Wazee Lounge and Supperclub, Fifteenth and Wazee. Another railroader's bar/bank. Does anyone remember any more?
2.The Denver Folklore Center, on East Seventeenth Avenue between Pennsylvania and Pearl streets. Owned and operated by Harry M. Tuft, a force majuere (I know, I spelled that wrong) for folk music in Denver, and Founder of Swallow Hill Music. A hero to many (myself included), he took the cowtown out of folk music, and we all owe him big-time. Thanks, Harry!
3. Right next to DFC was the Green Spider Coffeehouse, owned by Joyce, and yes, Virginia there WAS a drink called a Witches Tit!
4. 2000 Lincoln Street: Location of The Exodus "Denver's Premier Folk Club!". Owned and operated by Denny Sheneman, it saw the start of careers for Judy Collins, the Smothers Brothers and others. Downstairs was a venue called The Catacombs, which saw the likes of Lothar and the Hand People (the first rock band to use a Theramin!), Chris Hillman, Jose Feliciano, among others...
5. In the middle of the block between Lincoln and Sherman streets, the Cafe Les Tarots. A REAL European Coffeehouse, with classical music, a Victoria D'Arduno espresso machine, and a cadre of habitues that fostered much sightseeing among the college crowd ("Let's go down and see the Beatniks! [later hippies]!")
Operated by myself and Douglas W. Anderson and Robert James Holly separately and together. Doug Anderson was responsible for starting the first inner-city commune in Denver across from East High School.
6. The Lido Lounge, Twentieth and Sherman streets. Frequented by Beat poets and hangers-on the likes of James Ryan Morris, Larry Lake, the fore-mentioned Anderson, JamesDeBenedetto, Charles Bukowski, Alfred Detriech Clayhauer III (Honest! Clayhauer was the first person to die in Denver under the wheels of a Light-Rail train at 18th and California streets...).Kerouac may or may not have stopped in; I have no concrete evidence or recollection.
Any body else? I CAN'T be the only one! Jump on in! This is a GREAT site! I'm happy to have discovered it...

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
The Green Spider Coffeehouse! I haven't thought of that name in years. Used to hang out there occasionally but I was just 16 and thought it was cool to be with the "grownups." Unfortunately I didn't like coffee and the folk scene didn't really speak to me. The Beatles were about to break on the scene and that changed everything for my generation. Thanks for the jog to my memory! Hope you get some more responses to your informative post and welcome to the City-Data Forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver