Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogirl42 View Post
The Denver of the 50's and 60's was the best. I am so happy to have grown up there. Now I can't get out fast enough. Traffic and attitudes are just horrible.
I also lived on the Western Slope in the mid 80's. Now the infllux of people over there is astounding as there are really no jobs on the WEstern Slope.
Graduated from Alameda, lived in Wyo, Ariz, New Mex. and now Tx. I miss the mountains terribly, but will never move back to Big D.
Northwoods Inn... Lots of fond memories.
I know exactly what you mean. I had to leave, too.
I'll be back for visits, though. I've got fond memories, too.
Remember the peanut shells on the floor at the Northwoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Ah yes, Northwoods Inn with the big Paul Bunyan out front! The high school I graduated from had their 20 year reunion there. I lived maybe 10 minutes away from there. Forgot about Bowlero lanes, a friend of mine bowled in a scratch league there.

FWIW, one of the better Mexican food restaurants is no longer in Littleton, Mission Trujillo on Ridge road and Broadway. Wish I knew why they closed. Used to go there a lot when I lived down the street from there, just found out about it a couple weeks ago.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 51,807 times
Default denver is fine

I have lived in Denver all my life. It has one of the highest educated populations in the country and is listed as one of the healthiest places in the nation. This is a great place to live.... Thats why there are 2.5 million people here. Mostly from other states.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,308 times
Lived there from 1976 through 1989. saw the first Colorado Sunday Concert ever at Mile High in 1977 Lynyrd Skynyrd, Heart, Foreinger with what turned out to be the first ever lazer light show outdoors. It was a weekend to remember and one that I will never forget. Then there was the RIVERIA Glendales only country club. 1976 litre of Margeritas $5.75, Beef combo $3.25, 1989 litre of Margeritas $15.00 Beef combo $8.75 and was still the best MEX in the Denver area. May the RIV R.I.P. Was in town in 98 and was craving a Beef combo but only the Mariques was standing Not to mention a little known transplant from Cheyboygan Wisconson in Aurora BENDERS, which is still puttin out the best Brats in the World. And last but not least No Frills Grill where I spent half of my life in, still can't believe that I survived the 70's and the 80's in no doubt the best place to live in the U.S. Still come every year to Ski in Aspen via Amtrak (36 hour party ride from Dearborn) and stop long enough in Denver to walk over to the Wazee Supper Club ( OWNERS ARE ACTUALLY MICHIGAN NATIVES ) and get takeout miss the Mile High.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Cheyboygan Wisconson! Had some friends from Bailey and Breckenridge sell their homes, get married, move back to stay with family in Cheyboygan just long enough to get a 37' Cutter seaworthy, and hook up with them in the Windward Islands of the Grenedines! Some of the Regis crowd!

Good memories, Perch! Welcome to City-Data.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchonthis View Post
Then there was the RIVERIA Glendales only country club. 1976 litre of Margeritas $5.75, Beef combo $3.25, 1989 litre of Margeritas $15.00 Beef combo $8.75 and was still the best MEX in the Denver area. May the RIV R.I.P. .
I loved the Riviera, it was where I learned to enjoy Mexican food.
Remember Adolf Scarf, the Riv's resident piranha?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,263 times
I lived in Denver from 1975-1978, I am from Colo. Spgs. I also worked as an asst. manager for Soda Straw(the one on Colo. Blvd. and the one on Colfax). I remember the Yum-Yum tree right across the street from Soda Straw on Colo. Blvd. I was wondering if the Celebrity Sports Center is still open? I take it that Soda Straw is longer around. I know the one in the Springs is gone(building and all!!!). Wow!! I also remember Der Weinerschnitzel(I worked at one in the Spring). No one here in Ohio knows what I am talking about when I refer to these places.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Sadly, Celebrity has been gone for some time. I'm guessing maybe 15 years. I spent a lot of time there, and a lot of money! (what is money for when you're 16 anyway?) For entertainment, it had everything; huge swimming pool with a 50 ft. diving board, 81 bowling lanes, game rooms galore, HUGE room for pool and snooker tables.

The Hofbrau near the bowling lanes was great as they had some great german beer on tap. But the Celebrity lounge was cool, too. Real good layout, got in some real good jazz groups in there from time to time. It was sad to see it close.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
KL1

2 posts, read 23,669 times
Default Trying to get some information, can anyone help?

Anyone familiar with a bar called Larry's Lounge somewhere near Denver? I know it was open in 1964. I think two guys owned it, Larry somebody and a Bob Calvert.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,210 times
Default Zanzibar

Does anyone remember the Zanzibar on E. Colfax? It was a classic country western bar. The walls were painted with western scenery and glowed under black lighting. They always had great bands.

I was at Lowry AFB in 1971 and the place was very popular. Just wondering if it was still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver