Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 189,566 times

Advertisements

Double H.

You brought back some great memories with the 8 tracks..........it was the "coolest' thing at that time......i have several hundred sitting in boxes that are wasting away. i cant find any 8 track players ANYWHERE ..............I go to garage sales and I buy EVERY ONE i can find, only to find out they don't work when I'd get home or quit shortly after bringing them home...... But for $5.00, I'm not out that much. When I'd find a machine, I always hope "this one' will be the one that works. Years ago i had inquired about getting them transferred to CD's but even that would cost a fortune. I've got some real classics, so don't want to part with them. I have a collection of LP's from the 60's / 70's that have NEVER been played and are still in the cellaphane wrapping. I guess I thought they would be a good investment.

I heard recently that records were makeing a comback. Anyone hear this, and if so, the circumstances...If ANYONE knows of a company that handles 8 track players, either rebuilt, or in new stereo systems, please let me know.

I was sad to hear that Heritage Square in Golden is facing closure. My ex and i got married there at sundown in front of the big mountain on the property . Even though the marriage didnt last, the memories of a beautiful wedding remains. Years ago my parents bought stock in a project there, that was supposedly going to rival Disneyland, only a smaller version. I beleive it was to be called Magic Mountain...........Unfortuanately, it never did take off and they, and a lot more, lost their investments............i guess i wasn't destined to be wealthy...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,348 times
ExcopRon,
I've tried the same thing re;8 track players at yard sales, same results. Then I tried it with turn tables and cassette decks, same results. Finally got lucky on the turn table, and the guy had a like new cassette deck, but after 5-6 bad ones, said the heck with it.
Research that 8 track on the net. I've found sites that build brand new color tv's in theirs or your old housing, some of the nifty 50's sets. Old radio rebuilding is abundant, or was. Somebody has to fix 8 tracks.
Bet your albums are worth a bit, especially if the covers are primo and not imprinted with the record from the inside out. Saw the Antiques Roadshow, lady had the deadbabies Beatles album, mint cover, something like 20grand I think. The appraiser told her the album itself wasn't valuable, it was the cover. Dang! I remember thinking album covers would be worth something someday...day late yata hata....
Magic Mountain, yep. Knew people who lost their savings. And people who lost their retirement in the big church(Cherry Creek?)retirement condo scam.
Try searching e bay for that 8 track player.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 PM

22 posts, read 189,566 times
DRB85650

Good info.........thanks..........my heart skipped a beat when i saw the 20 grand............makes me definitely want to go through my albums now..... I hear you about the covers being worth the money...............same thing happened to me when my ex was into Avon real big...........her rep convinced me, if I bought the men's items, and kept the boxes in perfect shape, someday they would be worth a lot. My ex must have known that too, cause when she moved out, she took every damn box....lol

Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
I'm a guy who threw nothing away in his life-literally. Well, maybe not that hard core. The last 8 track I bought in a retail store, which was the old Burstein-Applebee store (remember them?) in Cinderella City Shopping Center (I know you remember them), was Eye In The Sky by the Alan Parsons Project. It came out around Christmas of 1982. The first one I bought was Wild Honey by the Beach Boys. In March of 1968 $4.98 plus tax was a lot of money to shell out for music. Ibought close to 600 and still have them. I basically bought about 3 tapes a month every month for 15 years.

One source you may want to check out is 8 track heaven. Started in the early 90s, it has a small but avid group of collectors I learned of them in the mid 90's and got a couple of their magazines just for laughs. But they are serious about their hobby. Google 8 track heaven and pull up their website-it's REALLY cool! Lots of cool info on its history, who collects today, the advent of it's predecessor, the 4 track tape, etc.

I'm getting off the track of Denver in the '60's-SORRY!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2008 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: ADDITION

Old 12-19-2008, 08:21 PM

Ron-a quick note- there are a few stores that sell vintage vinyl in your area you may want to check out. One way to find out what your stuff is worth these days is to find out what the stores are asking. There is a good one on 79th and Wadsworth called Black and Read. Huge store, half the store is paperbacks and hardback books, the other side are used and new cd's and albums. You also have Wax Trax on 13th and Washington, Twist and Shout on Colfax near East High School. There should be a couple more if you look in the phone book. I don't get to Denver a lot as I live on the other side of the state.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2008 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,867 times
Anybody remember Sid King's Crazy Horse bar on east colfax ? I was fortunate enough to get to know Mr. King and worked for him briefly in the late 80's after he closed the club and shortly before he died.
What a character he was..he could could charm just about anyone with his b.s. (particularly the women) He opened up a small business after the club closed called Drive Thru Shoe and Boot Repair on east Hampden in Southeast Denver. This was his last venture and also when I worked for him. I heard many a tale from his days of owning the club -from meeting Clint Eastwood while filming the movie "Every which way but loose" to the names and antics of his many famous dancers-( "Carla Clapsaddle" among others..) Mr king was very much a philanthropist as well.. donating profits and clothing to many different charities over the years.
He was a good man and will be missed.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doveman View Post
Anybody remember Sid King's Crazy Horse bar on east colfax ? I was fortunate enough to get to know Mr. King and worked for him briefly in the late 80's after he closed the club and shortly before he died.
What a character he was..he could could charm just about anyone with his b.s. (particularly the women) He opened up a small business after the club closed called Drive Thru Shoe and Boot Repair on east Hampden in Southeast Denver. This was his last venture and also when I worked for him. I heard many a tale from his days of owning the club -from meeting Clint Eastwood while filming the movie "Every which way but loose" to the names and antics of his many famous dancers-( "Carla Clapsaddle" among others..) Mr king was very much a philanthropist as well.. donating profits and clothing to many different charities over the years.
He was a good man and will be missed.
Sid King's Crazy Horse Bar was where my husband had his prenuptial bachelor party.
I remember the shoe shop, too. Mr. King was a good man and a true Denver character; he definitely leaves behind a lot of colorful memories.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 AM

He was a character Doveman! I only went in there one time and it was, well, not bad!! Not far from the capitol building and a politician or two or three frequented the place. And he did contribute quite a bit to local charities!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,348 times
Anyone recall Western Motor Rebuilders off Speer? Or Porter Bros. Machine Shop?
I worked at Western for Harry? Porter, the ostracized brother, in his words of the machine shop Porters.
A character, short, bald save for a Beatles style piece that was always parted to show the netting! He had a painted on moustache to cover a hairlip scar. If he liked you, you could do no wrong. His office was a time warp to 1940's cowboy decor, probably worth a mint now. The whole building was lost in time, nothing newer than about 1960. When he closed down and they emptied the 2nd basement level(with about a foot of water in it), they hauled up engines....v8's v12's even some v16's...old car parts, a treasure of gearhead stuff. All sold for scrap at the time.
Another place lost in time was Rio Grande Company on Santa Fe, a basement full of Lionel trains and accessories still in the boxes, old furnishings discarded by the family over generations, old fleet vehicles left to sleep for years in warehouses....

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 13,287 times
Default The Lift/ Bull and Bush

Does anyone remember The lift and Bull and Bush around 1978? I was there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver