Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshark View Post
Stout Street Electric Company! What I'd give to take a time machine back there for a night...the light show was the best. Funny Papers up north was similar. After the Gold Rush though was where I met the love of my life...still married to her after 35 years! The one place I can't remember the name of though was in the heart of Glendale...huge place...three floors...aquariums on the bottom floor. Not 3.2%...had to be 21 to go there. It was close to Mr. Lucky's and the Lift...help me out here somebody!
I wish I could because I was in that place a few times myself. Same for Stout Street and After The Gold Rush.

The one 3.2 place that i don't believe has been mentioned and it was my favorite, though I lived across town from it, was The Draught House on 88th and Washington in Thornton. Imagine tuning into your favorite am radio station, in this case KIMN, and listen to the radio advertisements about the place. And I'll never forget their advertisements for "drown night." All the 3.2 beer you could drink for $3 a person (no kidding!) They charge three bills-that's it. On other nights (Thursday through Saturday0 cover was a dollar and pitchers were $1.50, I believe.

Regarding "drown night", can you imagine a radio station advertising "all the beer you can drink for $3?" Um, probably NOT!! But it was a different time, this time being the summer of 1969 (they actually opened in March of that year.)

But it was a great place that got great bands in, I believe their best local band was LSD (Love Special Delivery) There was a song out about that time by an all girl group called Mercy. Their big hit was Love (Can Make You Happy). That band would always play that song as the lead singer was a gal (and a beautiful one at that) Looked an awful lot like Jackie DeShannon.

Then there was bringing in two bands I'll never forget. Had to pay $4 cover but it was well worth it. The first band was Zephyr. They had just recorded their second lp- Going back To Colorado. And the guy who made the price of admission worthwhile was Tommy Bolin! My God, that guy could play guitar-whoo!. And then there was the local band that made good-SUGARLOAF! Cover was $5. They had just released their second lp called Spaceship Earth and the hit single they were really pushing was "Tongue In Cheek", off that lp. And "Green Eyed Lady?" How about a 12 minute version with a kick butt drum solo in the middle of the song. They played for 3 hours and virtually all their songs from their 2 albums that were released on Liberty Records.

All right, that's it. I'm regressing to my juvenile ways, am going down to the store to pick up a quart of 3.2! Man, I can hear that tinny speaker from my '56 Ford playing me some Sugarloaf from the Spaceship Earth 8 track tape in my Muntz 4/8 track cartridge tape deck.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: cutting down a tad! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM

58 posts, read 308,974 times
"The one 3.2 place that i don't believe has been mentioned and it was my favorite, though I lived across town from it, was The Draught House on 88th and Washington in Thornton. Imagine tuning into your favorite am radio station, in this case KIMN, and listen to the radio advertisements about the place. And I'll never forget their advertisements for "drown night." All the 3.2 beer you could drink for $3 a person.

All right, that's it. I'm regressing to my juvenile ways, am going down to the store to pick up a quart of 3.2! Man, I can hear that tinny speaker from my '56 Ford playing me some Sugarloaf from the Spaceship Earth 8 track tape in my Muntz 4/8 track cartridge tape deck. [/quote]

I remember Sam's having a "drown night" as well...great idea to give us all the 3.2 beer we could drink and then send us down Lookout Mountain! Did the Draught House later become Funny Papers? It seems to me that FP was on 88th and Washington...there was also another club called Yellow Pages too if I recall correctly. By the way, my first car was a '56 Ford...red and white with a 292 T-bird V-8!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 81,434 times
Advertisement for the movie SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER from The Rocky Mountain News-Dec. 24, 1977

Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Yea,it was sold and I believe they renamed it Funny Papers, am thinking 1972. A couple other places I would frequent back then would be the Bachannal on west Evans. Also a couple other clubs worth mentioning, though they were in Boulder but were still popular clubs would be the Skunk Creek Inn and Tulagis.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yea,it was sold and I believe they renamed it Funny Papers, am thinking 1972. A couple other places I would frequent back then would be the Bachannal on west Evans. Also a couple other clubs worth mentioning, though they were in Boulder but were still popular clubs would be the Skunk Creek Inn and Tulagis.
That sounds about right on the date for when Funny Papers opened. After meeting my future wife we went to Pandora's Box (formerly Skunk Creek Inn) in the 1976-77 time frame a lot since she lived in Boulder. Only recall making it to Tulagi's once myself. Still wondering the name of that huge club in Glendale...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM

14 posts, read 81,434 times
I have fond memories of watching the news on KWGN (Ch. 2) at my grandmother's house in Aurora. This clip, with anchorman Ron Voigt, is from 1977.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 13,178 times
Default Denver Memories

Things to Remember:

Sheriff Scotty
Town of Dillon before the reservoir
Magic Mountain? Amusement Park
Fun House at Lakeside, carpet rollers, spinning disk, rotating tubes
Bluebird and Odgen Theaters (To Sir with Love)
Elitch Gardens Roller Coaster
Lakeside Roller Coaster big turn on edge of lake
Idaho Springs Swimming Pool
Peter Pan School next to Cheeseman Park
Fred Schmidt Appliances and his barber shop
celebrity Sports Center, Pogo Pog throwing pennies in the water to dive after
22 rifle range at Celebrity Sports Center
Sportland YMCA NE Denver
Clayton College for Boys
Harrington Elementary
Red Barn next to East High School
Denver Zoo when you could walk thru it no fee
Little Train by the Zoo
Denver Drumstick, shrimp came in a paper boat
Pizza Ovens
First Target Store Alameda Colo Blvd
Fitzimmons Army Hospital
Truck stop east of Denver? with graveyard stew (milktoast)
Olinger Mansion
Michaels Ice Cream Downtown Skyway
Cosmopolitan Hotel, Raymond Burr attending Telethon
Gene's Junction
suicide hill by city park museum (early skateboarding with real roller skate parts)
Civic Center Christmas Lights
Trailways Bus Station
Dave Cooks Sporting Goods
Hidden Valley Ski Area (Bus ride to top of slope)
Indian Hills snow tubing
Buffalo Bill's Grave on Lookout Mountain
GEM Discount Store
Dahlia Lanes

Enjoying the Memories as I think back to being a kid

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 33,831 times
3 of my favorite places as a kid, that are no longer...

Shakey's Pizza
Godfather's Pizza
The Organ Grinder Pizza

I'm sensing a theme here!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,858 times
Anybody remember Laserium?? At the Planetarium???? What a waaay cooool Show that was....

Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Anybody remember Laserium?? At the Planetarium???? What a waaay cooool Show that was....
Yep! My first date with my wife...Spaghetti Factory downtown and then Laserium after in July 1976.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver