Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 86,124 times

Advertisements

You are welcome!

Growing up in SW Denver, our family went to the drive-in movies almost every weekend in the summer. We could see the entire left (east) side of the Evans Drive-In screen from our front yard, and we most often went there. Our family frequented the south side drive-ins. Earlier someone asked where the South Drive-In was located - it was at the northeast corner of Windermere & Belleview, which is currently the Cornerstone Park ballfields, and was surrounded by the original Home Lumber. Until it burned down.

The Centennial DI was just west of the South DI between Federal & Irving on Belleview. I remember going to weekend flea markets there in the late 70's. It's currently a strip center. The Valley DI was at Monaco & Evans, the West DI at 6th & Kipling, the Havana DI at Florida & Havana. Sometimes we'd venture to the North DI at 72nd & Zuni but my favorite long distance drive-in was the North Star at 84th & I-25. Sucker was huge! We could hide from our parents all night...

Remember The Stampede on Havana between Iliff & Parker? I helped build it in '82.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,531 times
Default Glendale Old Nightclubs History 70's 80's

Glendale, CO area 70's 80's Remember The Lift, Mr. Lucky's, Colorado Mine Co., Rick's. London House, Rick's and many others. What was the name of the club in the building before the Rodeo and Confetti? I think it was something like the Sports Page or something like that.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 19,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
two photos from back in the day.
first one taken by my grandpa in the '50s. Memorial day parade around 16th and Lawrence.

Second one taken by my dad. I believe in the '60s from the top of the tallest building at the time.
The top of the First National Bank building.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstigator View Post
You are welcome!

Remember The Stampede on Havana between Iliff & Parker? I helped build it in '82.
You helped remodel it into the Stampede???? Way cool.. Anyone remember what it was before then?? I know there was a Cajun restaurant there and something else as well before that......

Seems the building has gone thru many morphs just like the Turn of the Century building has....

Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 PM

58 posts, read 309,139 times
"Growing up in SW Denver, our family went to the drive-in movies almost every weekend in the summer. We could see the entire left (east) side of the Evans Drive-In screen from our front yard, and we most often went there. Our family frequented the south side drive-ins. Earlier someone asked where the South Drive-In was located - it was at the northeast corner of Windermere & Belleview, which is currently the Cornerstone Park ballfields, and was surrounded by the original Home Lumber. Until it burned down.

The Centennial DI was just west of the South DI between Federal & Irving on Belleview. I remember going to weekend flea markets there in the late 70's. It's currently a strip center. The Valley DI was at Monaco & Evans, the West DI at 6th & Kipling, the Havana DI at Florida & Havana. Sometimes we'd venture to the North DI at 72nd & Zuni but my favorite long distance drive-in was the North Star at 84th & I-25. Sucker was huge! We could hide from our parents all night..." by Rickstigator

Thanks for the Metro Denver Drive-In theatre tutorial...the first house I lived in after moving to Denver around 1958 (born in Greeley) was on Hooker Street (the city of Denver lost a few of those street signs!) just south of Evans. Pretty close to where to you lived if you could see the Evans Drive-In screen...

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 20,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedthereonce View Post
johndetroit when were you in denver? and what area of michigan do you live in.....possibly our paths have crossed since i was in denver 76-77 and from birmingham
Just found this link again deep in my favorites. It looks like I got to Denver just after you left. And now back in Michigan after living all over the country. Still remember Denver fondly as I had the best years of my life there. I really feel that one year in Denver was like 10 years any where else. So many stories.

Denver just had the best bars, entertainment and food. I don't think I ever stayed home as you never wanted to miss anything. I still go back from time to time but just not the same.

Even miss the old airport. I could fly in, get a car and be downtown with a cold beer in 20 minutes. Try doing that now.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 20,742 times
There was a bar with live rock/blues music up on Look Out Mountain. It had a rustic atmosphere and I remember that the bands were young but could play Zeppelin, Cream, Deep Purple and the like very loud and with enthusiasm. I used to party up there most of the night and then enjoyed the fun ride down the mountain.

Of course there is the Little Bear up in Evergreen where I saw so many live bands that are too numerous to mention and met so many ladies. It had to be the altitude as things always got very wild. Those were the days.

One true story took place at Knicks. I swore I was going to behave - my famous last words. But after a several drinks I had a sexy brunette on my lap and we were making out. Knicks and the Proof had that effect on people. Well who shows up at the bar – the Broncos new young quarterback. He just joined with the Broncos and was with another guy. Well, in less than 15 minutes the girl I had just picked up ended up on his lap. I still have a good laugh about that.

I remember so many bars in and around downtown Denver. They had fantastic happy hours where you could eat great food and down 2 for 1 drinks. I would end up having dinner after work at the bars, then go to the meat markets like the Parish for the rest of the evening. I don’t think I ever made it home before 2am. But I would always be back at work the next day around 8. Never took an evening off. I remember that I knew most of the valets as they worked at many of the restaurants during the day and the bars at night. What a great time.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndetroit View Post
There was a bar with live rock/blues music up on Look Out Mountain. It had a rustic atmosphere and I remember that the bands were young but could play Zeppelin, Cream, Deep Purple and the like very loud and with enthusiasm. I used to party up there most of the night and then enjoyed the fun ride down the mountain.
You brought back an incredible memory! As a young (worldly) gal; one night my date took me up to Lookout Mountain, I really thought I might die that night. He had a crazy fast car and we made it down the mountain in about 5 minutes, (felt like flying low.) Maybe, he just wanted to end our date or impress me?? Well, never saw him again.........ahhh those were the days!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 AM

20 posts, read 33,792 times
I remember walking through Cinderella City with my girlfriend in 73-74. We used to go there a lot, just to window-shop and dream. She hated Cinder Alley, but that was always my favorite part.

I seem to recall a giant statue of Cinderella in the main court. Am I right, or just think I saw it?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:27 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop99er View Post
I remember walking through Cinderella City with my girlfriend in 73-74. We used to go there a lot, just to window-shop and dream. She hated Cinder Alley, but that was always my favorite part.

I seem to recall a giant statue of Cinderella in the main court. Am I right, or just think I saw it?
Hum, I don't really remember a giant statue of Cinderella, but there was the 40 foot fountain there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver