Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 9,715 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember a great band called Robin Banks? I remember them at the Prairie Schooner in the mid '70s. Around that time there was a guy who played Leon Redbone style blues by himself. Darn, can't remember his name but he was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 03:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWakeman View Post
Anyone remember a great band called Robin Banks? I remember them at the Prairie Schooner in the mid '70s. Around that time there was a guy who played Leon Redbone style blues by himself. Darn, can't remember his name but he was great!
Not Tommy Bolin(I assume- Ebbets Field was huge in his day).

Old 06-06-2022, 08:36 PM

36 posts, read 87,637 times
Quote:
Around that time there was a guy who played Leon Redbone style blues by himself. Darn, can't remember his name but he was great!

Was it Johnny Long?

Old 07-07-2022, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 10,130 times
Default Remembering Doc Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade View Post
I lived in Denver from 1972-1982. Anyone remember the clubs, Rosie Bottoms, Bogarts, The Turn of the Century, and Doc Weeds? I was a DJ at all of those clubs. I started playing oldies at Doc Weeds, then disco at The Turn. I loved Rosie Bottoms, so I DJ’d there in 1978. Then, I DJ’d at Bogarts for awhile. After that, I decided to start my own mobile DJ business. I called it Moby Disc, and specialized in New Wave. Played at Wallaby’s, Straight Johnson’s, The University of What, The 94th Aero Squadron,and a couple of other places I can’t remember. Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end. But they did.....sigh.

Do you remember Shady Lady? Vivo? Dawn? Jody? Waitresses and bartender. Vinnie? I worked at Central Bank of Denver and it was an easy trip through the bank, through the double doors and to Doc Weeds. Our pitcher of beer hit the table at about the same time we sat down.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,441 times
Quote:
In 1973 through 1979 I cleaned bars in Larimer Square. It was a real party. There was The Prairie Schooner. It was huge with a balcony where the pinball machines were. It was run by Joel Kunkel and Billy Gross. One of the greatest regulars was Mike Blandon. He always dominated the room with his charisma and humor.

Under the Schooner was the basement Royal Platte River Yacht Club, a very swank restaurant. Wayne Dunston was the chef and Scott Taggart was his assistant. There was another chef whose name I can't recall, John something, but I do remember that he used to crack a bullwhip named Sylvan to motivate his colleagues. He was once arrested for riding his bicycle around in the street swinging a chicken on a string around his head. The charge was, "Being ridiculous on a bicycle".

After closing time, all of the workers at the other bars on the square would come to the Schooner to party until 3:00 or 4:00 AM - Josephino's, The Magic Pan, The Bratskellar, Lafitte's, Stromberg's (later, Soapy Smiths). I would party along until they all went home and then start cleaning the Schooner, the Platte River Yacht Club and Josephina's.

The Schooner and the Yacht club were later bought by Harry Popiel and his lovely wife Pirette.

These were some of the best times and most inebriated times of my life.

Does anyone else remember this stuff?
Hi Doug, So cool to have found this. We worked together at RPRYC and Schooner. Still friends with a 2 of the originals. You taught me to ski! Love to talk private if at all possible.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Smile The Tropics Night Club, St. Anthony's Hospital and 3.2 beer at Coors, Golden

Grew up in Denver. 1940-1965 Parents house was in Lakewood. Edgewater, a small but growing burg outside downtown Denver. Worked as a nurses aid near Sloane's lake in St. Anthony's hospital next to the lake.
Drive to Golden for the Coors's plant beer tour and get free Coors all you could drink while on site. Visited Tiny Town in Morrison many many times. Grand parents lived in Evergreen, Bear Creek and many other wonderful place near Denver. Worked as a hat check girl for Warren St. Thomas who owned the Tropics night club on Morrison road. Had worked for him a few years earlier as a baby sitter for his young 4 year old daughter, Diane. He and his wife, Karen treated me well since I was only 17 year old in 1957. Warren and Karen lived in a beautiful house in Lakewood surrounded by a stockade with a security gate. He often had me take his new Thunderbird to the bank for him to deliver his money pouch from the proceedings of the Tropic's night club the night before. Quite a responsibility for a teenager but they trusted me and I never abused that trust.

My girlfriends and I used to 'drag' downtown and various streets looking for boys. Picked up lots of fly boys at Lowery Air Force base out east of Denver. I had a 1947 sporty baby power blue Pontiac convertible with a white top, red leather upholstery, white side wall tires, and with twin spot lights. Wish I had that car today! Listened to Del Rio Texas late at night under the stars while cruising Denver in my baby blue convertible.

Lots more memories.. moved out to the northwest with husband and 2 babies in 1965 and only visited Denver rarely since

Old 12-26-2022, 05:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,564 times
Default Great thread

I am a native of Denver for 72 years. This is the most wonderful history I have ever seen. Thank you everyone.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
The hippie station was KFML. It was AM and FM simulcast, except the AM station's license only allowed it to broadcast during daylight hours. So when the sun went down, they had to sign off. The FM broadcast was 24 hours a day. The guy with the old time radio program was John Dunning.

Was it KFML who broadcast "High Street"?

'Voice over' for daily soap operas and the late movie?

That was enjoyable (to me). My parents didn't know why I was laughing, as I had headphones on, listening to the radio, while watching the TV.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
Default Sams on Lookout Mtn

Grew up in Westminster. Turned 18 in 74' Colorado 1956-2014 went to Sams on lookout Mtn. Pretty good band playing. The place was packed and had to sit around the corner and out of site of the band and dance floor. There were some steps you had to walk down into this seating area. Having beers, enjoying the scene, suddenly the place was swarming with cops, and of course one came up and asked for our IDs. We obliged, then this huge super aggressive cop headed toward us, but didn't see the stairs, and at that exact moment the band started playing "I shot the sherriff", (oh the poetic timing and justice, in our minds), and the big cop tumbled down the stairs, the place went wild with cheers and applause. Of course we were laughing, which he didn't appreciate and demanded we show our ID's again, but the band kept playing, and within a couple minutes the cops were gone. What a memorable time on top of the hill.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,790 times
Question Electric Company etc.

Went to Stout Street Electric Company early 70s. First time I'd seen a live drummer playing to recorded music. They also had a great band playing - The (something) Brothers. I was in town after gigging with my partner as opening act for The Bells ("Think I'm Gonna Stay with You Awhile") at Marvelous Marv's downtown. Also saw a show band in either Boulder or Estes Park who did a hilarious take-off on "Wolverton Mountain". "I don't care about Clifton Clowers, I'm gonna climb up on his daughter..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver