Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:14 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,794 times

Advertisements

As was discussed before, the M1 Light Rail Line project has cleared federal environmental regulatory guidelines on schedule this month. With this step complete, the Detroit Department of Transportation can now apply for $318 million in funding for construction, which is also expected to be approved.

With the concerns over private sector funding quieting down, shovels could be in the ground as early as this coming spring. If so, the first segment of the line could be in operation by 2015.

While it seems things have been endlessly delayed, the project has actually been on-track and ahead of schedule for the past year. Notwithstanding a few small hiccups, things are moving forward. The biggest issue now is getting the final stamp of approval on the FTA's New Starts program, pooling all of the funding sources together, and finally hiring the contractors to begin work.

Woodward Ave. light-rail project clears feds’ environmental regulatory hurdle | Crain's Detroit Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,107,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
As was discussed before, the M1 Light Rail Line project has cleared federal environmental regulatory guidelines on schedule this month. With this step complete, the Detroit Department of Transportation can now apply for $318 million in funding for construction, which is also expected to be approved.

With the concerns over private sector funding quieting down, shovels could be in the ground as early as this coming spring. If so, the first segment of the line could be in operation by 2015.

While it seems things have been endlessly delayed, the project has actually been on-track and ahead of schedule for the past year. Notwithstanding a few small hiccups, things are moving forward. The biggest issue now is getting the final stamp of approval on the FTA's New Starts program, pooling all of the funding sources together, and finally hiring the contractors to begin work.

Woodward Ave. light-rail project clears feds’ environmental regulatory hurdle | Crain's Detroit Business
I can see the TOD opportunities building now. It'll be like the Euclid Corridor in Cleveland or High Street in Columbus (the only part of Columbus you'd want to take a bus in)

Get ready! I think Detroit is about to see an influx of college kids once this happens... It'll run right by Wayne State with lots of development on both sides so it'll be premium for bringing fresh, outside bucks into town.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 8,396 times
In theory, this is a great idea. Detroit falls way behind compared to other cities when it comes to mass transportation. Although most people in Detroit drive their own vehicles, there are still many people who rely on buses etc. to get around. This would only help not only the people who do not drive, but also motivate people in the area to be less vehicle dependent if this kind of transportation is available. However, in my opinion safety plays a huge role in having a light rail system in Detroit. I don't think Detroit is anywhere close to be considered a safe enough city for a system like this to be a success. I think more people would veer from the idea of taking a train through Detroit (particularly Highland Park, North Detroit areas) because it is not a safe city what so ever. Unless it is going to be heavily policed I don't think Detroit is quite ready for a train system. But if it does go through, I hope only the best and hopefully it is a success.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM

The most recent announcement (last week) from U.S. Sec. of Transit Ray LaHood was that construction on the Woodward line would begin by the end of this calendar year. However, since virtually no construction projects kick off in the middle of winter, my guess is that they won't start digging until the spring.

Champ87, I don't know if I agree with you that the city is too dangerous for a rail line. If people are uncomfortable getting off at a particular stop, then they can just stay on the train. That's my experience from traveling in other cities. In Chicago, just because the area outside the window might be more or less dangerous doesn't mean that the people on the train are in any danger.

Also, it is my expectation that the light rail line will improve conditions in areas like HP and north Detroit. The more people and development that those areas can attract, the more vibrant and safe they will become. The current desolation of those areas makes them ripe for crime because there's nobody around to witness or stop it and less reason for police to take an interest in an area that is widely abandoned.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Crime rates are usually higher in more densely populated areas, so I doubt that increasing the number of people with rail (a dubious claim in and of itself) will decrease crime. Even the suggestion that having crowds of people on the sidewalks will deter criminals can be disproven with all the mob violence that is taking place in the world today.

Improving transportation doesn't deter crime, it just allows criminals to move around quicker.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Crime rates are usually higher in more densely populated areas, so I doubt that increasing the number of people with rail (a dubious claim in and of itself) will decrease crime. Even the suggestion that having crowds of people on the sidewalks will deter criminals can be disproven with all the mob violence that is taking place in the world today.

Improving transportation doesn't deter crime, it just allows criminals to move around quicker.
Even if there were a correlation between higher population densities and crime rates, it is almost unequivocally due to having a sheer increase in people. You cannot have crime without people, so it makes sense that if you have more people, the raw number of crimes committed will increase, but not necessarily the per capita crime rate. Right now, what makes that area dangerous is the desolation that allows shady characters to hide in plain sight among their abandoned surroundings.

I can't see what mob violence has to do with anything... As far as I know, Detroit hasn't had a single incidence of "mob violence" since the Purple Gang disbanded. Your fear seems overstated at best, and wildly alarmist at worst.

I really don't think criminals are going to use the light rail line down Woodward as their getaway vehicle. Actually, that would be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. A criminal is far more likely to jump in a car and speed off after a robbery (or perhaps flee on foot and hide nearby). Plus, even if what you suggest is true, they could just take the bus.

Lastly, you suggest that there is no correlation between transit and population. Every other transit system in the nation/world begs to differ. I challenge you to find me a place that is densely populated without transit.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
Yea the Detroit is too dangerous for light rail thing is ridiculous. The CTA rail lines in Chicago eliminates that theory. The red, green, and blue lines run threw some of the worst neighborhoods in the country. 2 of them being Englewood on the southside and the Lawndale neighborhood on the westside nicked named by locals as "K-Town (Killer Town). Both of them are very comparable if not worse than Highland Park. I seen something on CNN that was talking about the "K-Town" area calling it one of the most dangerous, poorest, and illiterate neighborhoods in the US. And I can tell from experience that it is very much blighted and that was a few years ago. With Chicago's recent population loss it's probably even worse now. And with all that, the system has been just fine for years. I know people who live in the suburbs and take the trains threw those neighborhoods everyday to work without a worry in the world. Never had a problem. Im pretty sure NYC'S great transportation system doesn't avoid the bad areas of the city either. So I think Woodword Ave will be just fine.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Here's the announcement from Ray LaHood issuing 47mm in funding to Detroit area transit projects, including the M1 light rail line, and funding to study feasibility into Detroit's northern suburbs:

Commuting | LaHood: $46.7M in federal funds coming for DDOT buses, light rail | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20111018/METRO05/110180379/1409/metro/LaHood--$46.7M-in-federal-funds-coming-for-DDOT-buses--light-rail - broken link)

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Even if there were a correlation between higher population densities and crime rates, it is almost unequivocally due to having a sheer increase in people. You cannot have crime without people, so it makes sense that if you have more people, the raw number of crimes committed will increase, but not necessarily the per capita crime rate.

There was a study where they put a few rats in a small cage and they all got along well. The put in more rats, but gave them plenty of food and after a time, the rats attacked and killed each other. Then they put a few rats in a very big cage, they were fine. Then they put a lot of rats in a very big cage. They got along fine.

The scientists decided that this shows why densely populated cities have higher per capita crime rates than less densely populated cities. This is not the first study to demonstrate that scientists think that people and rats are the same.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There was a study where they put a few rats in a small cage and they all got along well. The put in more rats, but gave them plenty of food and after a time, the rats attacked and killed each other. Then they put a few rats in a very big cage, they were fine. Then they put a lot of rats in a very big cage. They got along fine.

The scientists decided that this shows why densely populated cities have higher per capita crime rates than less densely populated cities. This is not the first study to demonstrate that scientists think that people and rats are the same.
Then whats Atlanta's excuse? lol. But NYC for a city of 8 million is HEAVILY densely populated but it's ok for 8 million. But in densely populated neighborhoods you have more people your going to see everyday, run into, talk to, and ultimately, more people that your not going to like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit