Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that forced busing killed Detroit?
Yes 27 23.08%
No 90 76.92%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times

Advertisements

Here is one thing to think about. What set Detroit apart from the other cities in what is known as the Rust Belt? What made Detroit decline so bad that didn't make Buffalo and Cleveland get as bad?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,950,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
What Killed Detroit
KKK. . . former hip hop mayor Korrupted Kwame Kilpatrick and all the corrupted politicians from the governor's office, attorney general's office, police department, etc.= CORRUPTION. . .I am wondering what is taking the feds so long to investigate.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Here is one thing to think about. What set Detroit apart from the other cities in what is known as the Rust Belt? What made Detroit decline so bad that didn't make Buffalo and Cleveland get as bad?
I think Buffalo & Cleveland are just as bad. Detroit is just so much larger, so it has a greater 'awe' factor to it.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,793,791 times
Quote:
How? At 23, I can be given the death penalty, get drafted into the army, get sued, and buy liquor. I don't consider that a kid.
Basically at 23 you are likely to (but not neccesarily) lack perspective. I know looking back at my self at that time in my life I didn't think I was a kid, but I was. (Relatively speaking. Clearly, *legally* you are an adult. I'm speaking in terms of relative naivety. Perhaps you are an exception, but odds are against it.)

Took me another 23 or so years to recognize that fact. I had to go through the additional years to gain the perspective necessary to actually realize it.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Then how did many African-Americans become poor and uneducated? Why does anyone drop out of school? Why is it that schools do not educate people as well as they should? Why aren't things found out at an early age before things get worse? I say the problem starts out young and early. That is when things should be done, not at age 16, but at age 4 or 5. Why not try to improve Detroit. I am not satisfied to let Detroit rot. That is just giving up. What about the people who want to be in Detroiit, and to see things improve?

That is a good question. After all the Big 3 conciously decided to attract that southern african americans to the area to work in the factories, and the unions saw to it that the wages were comparatively speaking, astronomical.

So yes, how did an area where blacks were likely earning more than most everywhere else get so screwed up?

Near as I can tell it was massively screwed up long before the current downturn, too.

Using Haiti as an example, current disaster set aside... Haiti was the first new world colony run completely by blacks. And it's been a crap pit ever since.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
[LEFT]Races in Detroit:
  • Black (81.6%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (10.5%)
  • Hispanic (5.0%)
  • Other race (2.5%)
  • Two or more races (2.3%)
  • American Indian (0.9%)
[/LEFT]

It's a broader pattern than that. Africanization is highly correlated to dangerous and decline.

Not that Minneapolis just slipped into the top 25, as it becomes increasingly africanized by virtue of it's Federal resettlement center there.

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabman_52 View Post
As a life time resident of Detroit, 58 years. I think it is a combination of Politics and the average citizen.
I have traveled from one corner of this country to the other in my life and nowhere have I ever seen so many people that think they have some sort of entitlement as the people of Detroit. Everything for nothing.
I was born and raised in the 48209 zip code which is part of the Southwest section of the city. Married and later bought a nice home in the 48228 zip code which is in the Northwest section, also known as Warrendale. Have lived here for 35 years now.

Over the past 7 yaers or so The place I call home has turned into a dump. Every street between Evergreen and Southfeild Fwy. has at least one burned out house or a vacant lot where a nice home once stood. Now I can't wait to get out!.

You can call me a racist, you can call me prejudice if you like, nothing would be further from the truth. I have a black son-in-law and 3 mixed grandchildren and I love each and everyone of them dearly. I also have some really great black neighbors, but this is not the norm. I have been to parts of this country where Blacks and Whites live together and get along very well, this is not so true in Detroit. I have no problem living with any decent hard working human being, but regrettably that is on longer the case. There seems to be no pride in neighborhood anymore.
I still have one of the nicest homes in Warrendale, and for all of the hard work,time and money we have invested in our home over the years my wife and I now have the privilege of looking out our front window at a driveway full of garbage across the street, an overrun vacant lot and a burned out house that has been standing like that for the past 6/7 months. We now have to drive 4/5 miles just to get a gallon of milk as Warren Ave. is no longer safe for a white person after dark, and not much better in the daytime.

I have always loved my city, but I think the time has come for a divorce. The crime around here is so bad that you can't drive down the street without a hooker flagging you down for sex or someone trying to sell you drugs, and the sad part is that they have no fear of the police because there are none. When you do see the police they are way too busy doing the really important things like writing parking tickets. In my recent past experience I've had to call them on two occasions and the average response time was 2 hours.
I just pray that we get a Mayor and other officials that will look out for the whole City and not just the areas they live in. I'm sure I'll be dead in my grave for 20 yrs. or so before we see any significant change. I just wish it weren't true.

People here vote on color first and then how cool the candidate is, if your some kind of pimp or player or some kind of sports figure then move here, you could very well win our next election, the more GIVE the the lowlifes of the city the more terms you'll get to serve. About 30 percent of the people here of all colors are good hard working folks and the rest are well...........................

We do not need a Rapid Transit System here, what we do need is jobs, and when we do have jobs the people that really DO WANT TO WORK will ALWAYS find a way to get there!
Thanks for taking the time to read..
There you have it, from a long time resident.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 AM

257 posts, read 620,003 times
Would you want to open up a business there? Where does one start? The high crime, anti-business climate, litigation, political corruption, Orwellian zoning bureaucracy...

Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Other cities had busing. Those cities didn't end up in the same position as Detroit. Busing was just a side problem. People were leaving for other reasons.

As for "Africanization'", if no one wanted "Africanization" to occur, then the early settlers of this nation shouldn't have brought slaves in. Last time I checked, the ancestors of African-Americans didn't have a say in whether or not they wanted to come to the USA or not. They were brought here against their will. If you have a problem with the existence of blacks in America, blamme the early settlers and slave traders. They were the ones who brought African slaves to this nation.
I agree, it was morally wrong to enslave people and bring them over here. Depending on your morality, European-ization was wrong too. And smart Native Americans *should've* killed every settler that came over as they got off the boats.

I *do* blame the slave traders for the current situation.

I believe that didn't want africanization either. They figured they were going to keep blacks enslaved for the duration. That they "got out" and into society in general was an unanticipated side effect.

Using the Virgin Islands as a historical model, here's how the succession of races seems to go:

1. The Native Americans, Arawaks in the case of the Islands were here.
2. Europeans came over and took the land at gunpoint.
3. Europeans (and some would say aided by blacks in africa, arabs and jews) brought blacks over to work the agriculture business.
4. Blacks outpopulated everyone and violently took over.
5. In general, the places they took over are crap pits.

I suspect the same is going on, on the mainland, except that a violent uprising may not become a necessity as time and attitudes have changed for various reasons. However, the apparently more violent tendency of blacks seems to still be there.

I hypothesize that this is because African people are still the most african of humans. That all strains of species from africa ar this way.

For example Africanized Bees, or African Scorpions, etc. all display a similar "outpopulate and overun the others" type of trait.

I suspect it comes from the natural habitat of africa wherein such a trait is naturally selected. Then when you transfer those strains to places where the opposite traits were naturally selected, the overun the native strains. Biologists call those, "invasive species".

Best guess is that strains that had to survive in colder climates ended up naturally selecting for smaller body mass, energy conservation, etc.

So ultimately, thought the Stormfront crowd would like to call blacks inferior, from a natural selection standpoint, they're probably superior.

From a civilization standpoint however, those same traits seem to keep thier communities in a more primative state.

For africans, this means africanization is a good thing. For everyone else, it basically is a bad thing.

Thus africanizing one's culture is essentially playing with fire. As Sigfried and Roy found out... screwing with wild animals long enough, and eventually they bite you.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I agree, it was morally wrong to enslave people and bring them over here. Depending on your morality, European-ization was wrong too. And smart Native Americans *should've* killed every settler that came over as they got off the boats.

I *do* blame the slave traders for the current situation.

I believe that didn't want africanization either. They figured they were going to keep blacks enslaved for the duration. That they "got out" and into society in general was an unanticipated side effect.

Using the Virgin Islands as a historical model, here's how the succession of races seems to go:

1. The Native Americans, Arawaks in the case of the Islands were here.
2. Europeans came over and took the land at gunpoint.
3. Europeans (and some would say aided by blacks in africa, arabs and jews) brought blacks over to work the agriculture business.
4. Blacks outpopulated everyone and violently took over.
5. In general, the places they took over are crap pits.

I suspect the same is going on, on the mainland, except that a violent uprising may not become a necessity as time and attitudes have changed for various reasons. However, the apparently more violent tendency of blacks seems to still be there.

I hypothesize that this is because African people are still the most african of humans. That all strains of species from africa ar this way.

For example Africanized Bees, or African Scorpions, etc. all display a similar "outpopulate and overun the others" type of trait.

I suspect it comes from the natural habitat of africa wherein such a trait is naturally selected. Then when you transfer those strains to places where the opposite traits were naturally selected, the overun the native strains. Biologists call those, "invasive species".

Best guess is that strains that had to survive in colder climates ended up naturally selecting for smaller body mass, energy conservation, etc.

So ultimately, thought the Stormfront crowd would like to call blacks inferior, from a natural selection standpoint, they're probably superior.

From a civilization standpoint however, those same traits seem to keep thier communities in a more primative state.

For africans, this means africanization is a good thing. For everyone else, it basically is a bad thing.

Thus africanizing one's culture is essentially playing with fire. As Sigfried and Roy found out... screwing with wild animals long enough, and eventually they bite you.
Wow, I guess you haven't met many real black people in your life or really got to know them. They are inherently exactly same as you and I except with different color skin.

I think you're missing a crucial piece of the puzzle in the logic factor. Blacks were dragged here against their will, kept enslaved, and educating them was considered 'improper' or 'not right'.

Imagine if someone went to the most backward parts of the Appalachian Mountains back 100 years ago before education....threw as many of 'white skins' as they could possibly get and brought them to Africa. No doubt they'd be the 'scum of Africa' for generations and generations. If they were kept away from any kind of education system that exists in Africa...and suddenly escaped somehow and found their way to the 'Carribbean' of Africa...wherever that might...do you really expect these particular people to become the next Sweden within a few generations? Probably not.

Personally I think 'black America' has many great strengths and many great weaknesses...it's gone in two completely different contradictory directions. But to just discount them all and say they are ALL 'Type B' is...well, grossly grossly inaccurate and contributes immensely to the 'problem of America' more than anything, to say the very least about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit