Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:52 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
45 years ago WSU was not only a bargain for UG, but if you wanted to get into professional school, their pre-professional department was tops. Nothing like it. I can't begin to tell you how many people I know (some not really the brightest bulbs) got into medical and dental school after only 3 years, (despite the former having a 5:1 applicant to acceptance ratio). I don't know exactly how they did that, but they did. When I attended grad school there, but still had hopes for med school, I was sent to their pre-professional office, where they had obtained my pre-professional file from U of M. The first thing that woman did? showed me what they wrote (lies and more lies, not to mention attitude and comments guaranteeing I would never get into a professional program, which explained why my apps up to that time went nowhere). She then shredded them, a new file was opened, and 2 years later the professional schools were literally begging me to attend. Huh?

Given the exhorbitant cost of college these days, WSU's historical function as a commuter school, it would behoove them to provide safe avenues of transport to the school from 8 Mile down, and Telegraph eastward, and from the Pointes west. Dangerous slums surround the place, but beyond are 'burbs with highly motivated well-educated potential students, who now just go to Oakland if commuting is their only option.
There are already many safe avenues of transport to Wayne State. They are I-75, Woodward, I-94, East Jefferson Avenue, I-96, the Lodge Freeway, Michigan Avenue, etc. What a peculiar statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
There are already many safe avenues of transport to Wayne State. They are I-75, Woodward, I-94, East Jefferson Avenue, I-96, the Lodge Freeway, Michigan Avenue, etc. What a peculiar statement.
Has to be someone who had not been there in years or decades. From Downtown if I want a safe way to get to WSU, I walk up Woodward.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Today typical suburbanites use 696 and 275 only, never going inbound. But yes...there are fine avenues to the campus from those interstates you mentioned. So, one wonders why such an aversion to attending WSU?

Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Today typical suburbanites use 696 and 275 only, never going inbound. But yes...there are fine avenues to the campus from those interstates you mentioned. So, one wonders why such an aversion to attending WSU?
That is completely false.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:00 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
I have to admit I had to meet a client for dinner earlier this week at La Dolce Vita (best Italian restaurant) which is at Woodward/Six Mile. I took Woodward up from Midtown just for scenery purposes.

If you haven't driven Woodward from Mack (Whole Foods/Ellington) up through Highland Park in the past 12 months - you'd be amazed. It's like an entire new road. Not a single pothole - all light rail completely done - and almost every abandoned building on Woodward from New Center to Highland Park had been demolished and was grass fields. Night and day from a year or two ago. You would have never known that there area around Boston Edison was seedy by driving along Woodward.

Made me beam with pride how much that road has transformed in 1-2 years.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I have to admit I had to meet a client for dinner earlier this week at La Dolce Vita (best Italian restaurant)
Better than Roma Cafe?

Old 12-09-2016, 09:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Much better than Roma Cafe - the ambiance is nicer - live music serenading you and entrees are still in the $15 range.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Way back when I was college-shopping for my Master's, WSU left an impression of being a good school with absolutely terrifying bureaucracy.

I ended up doing most of it at UofM. Half of my teachers couldn't speak English, and many of the American teachers couldn't speak, period. I think it has a lot to do with emphasis on research grants.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:05 PM

49 posts, read 59,996 times
I can't fathom why anyone in Metro Detroit would commute to Wayne over Oakland U. Why bother with the Detroit headache and crime around campus? Oakland U is very generous with automatic merit scholarships too. Further, Oakland U has improved more than Wayne St. over the last 5 or 6 years.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:49 AM

53 posts, read 65,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
I can't fathom why anyone in Metro Detroit would commute to Wayne over Oakland U. Why bother with the Detroit headache and crime around campus? Oakland U is very generous with automatic merit scholarships too. Further, Oakland U has improved more than Wayne St. over the last 5 or 6 years.

I would pick University of Windsor if you have to be in Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit