Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It doesn't have any calories. I don't get full off of salads or those weight watchers meals(1 of those doesn't make me full) but if I drink a diet soda I'm full.
The same with coffee. How is it bad for you if you add 1 pack of equal to an 8 ounce,which has no calories? I'm a night shift worker and must have coffee.
The medical field is wildly divided on whether Aspartame or Sucralose actually cause any health problems. Hell, man, my doctor drinks Diet Cokes and runs marathons with me. On the molecular level, Sucralose is almost identical to sugar. So, on the molecular or physiological level, it's doubtful that either of those two substances will harm you. But what they CAN do is make you crave real sugar, since they fool the body into thinking it's getting sugar, the body wants the real thing later on. So you might drink your Diet Pepsis during the day and then have a craving for ice cream at night.
No..the real problem with soft drinks, including the sugar free ones is the phosphoric acid they use to fizz it up. That stuff leaches calcium from your bones and can lead to osteoporosis. But that's only if you drink five or six cans a day. Bottom line: one or two diet sodas a day will not harm you. Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
It just seems like an awful lot of people get headaches from aspartame. Apparently some of you don't seem to think that is valid excuse for saying something isn't good to drink. But so many people have told me their headaches went away after stopping diet soda, including several here. I've stopped and started diet sodas several times and notice each time I get headaches from aspartame.

Last night I drank part of a can of diet root beer because I had two half used 12 packs of diet sodas that have been laying around here for months since I've been drinking mostly tea and milk with the occasional hot chocolate. I figured I should not waste money and let the stuff just sit here. I didn't get a headache last night drinking my first can of diet soda in months. I felt weird though. I don't even know how to explain it...kinda outta sorts, dizzy and weak. It also made my stomach hurt really bad, but that may have been the phosphorus. It really doesn't feel like its good for you. Why not just have some tea? You don't have to have hot tea either. Some of the Celestial Seasoning teas are amazing when iced.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:49 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
I'm about 143 lbs right now and 5'9". I'm not that worried about getting a food craving from drinking one diet soda a day. I drink about 10-15 glasses of water to go along with that one diet soda. If I was giving advice for someone who was overweight or obese, then yes, I would have them switch to an all water diet and not just replace 10 glasses of soda with 10 glasses of diet soda.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
I didn't read all the way through the thread but here is one study, my apologies if it has been posted already within the thread.

Artificial Sweeteners and the Risk of Gastric, Pancreatic, and Endometrial Cancers in Italy — Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
It doesn't have any calories. I don't get full off of salads or those weight watchers meals(1 of those doesn't make me full) but if I drink a diet soda I'm full.
The same with coffee. How is it bad for you if you add 1 pack of equal to an 8 ounce,which has no calories? I'm a night shift worker and must have coffee.
This book is well worth reading. It will clear everything up for you:

Amazon.com: Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health (9780785221791): Dr. Joseph Mercola , Dr. Kendra Degen Pearsall: Books

Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
On Monday Dr. Oz had a show about weight loss and said one of the worst kinds of processed meals are the 'diet' ones as they replace the fat with all kinds of other crap....real food is always the best. Try adding protein to your salad and eat 4 cups of it if you need to with varied colors of veggies (and nutrients), add a few nuts and seeds etc. Sure you may not feel full the first couple of times but you will get used to it, espeically if you're eating well at the other meals.That's one important thing that most people forget; anything that's on the higher side of the glycemic index can create excessive insulin in the body and in turn excessive hunger, that includes sweet fruits, alcohol and starchy vegetables (and according to my doc, the aftificial sweetner). So to be satisfied with a salad, you have to eat well the rest of the day.

Stevia is great once you get used to it, it's not artificial, it's a root and it tastes great in iced tea. A word of advce though, not all brands are good, I personally like 'Sweet Leaf' and buy the liquid variety to put in iced tea, it's great and will not make you hungrier in the long run like the others.

I couldn't drink diet soda if you paid me, to me it tastes so bad but I think that's because I eat so naturally.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 14,798 times
Some say that the artificial sweeteners are bad for you and could cause cancer. I know if I chew too much gum with artificial sweeteners, I'll get a headache. I would stick to drinking lots of water, milk, 100% fruit juices and tea.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Stevia is great once you get used to it, it's not artificial, it's a root and it tastes great in iced tea. A word of advce though, not all brands are good, I personally like 'Sweet Leaf' and buy the liquid variety to put in iced tea, it's great and will not make you hungrier in the long run like the others.
I read several years ago that Stevia can cause problems with the reproductive organs in both females and males.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Diet soda causes brain damage, seizures, depression, panic attacks, uncontrollable anger and rage. Look it up. You might as well drink gasoline or do heroin. Drink it and you will instantly die. This thread is played out already.
Hyperbole of the worst sort. I'm a personal trainer and an active drummer; I run about 20 miles a week; I'm 6'-2" and weigh 177 lbs. I drink 4-5 Diet Dr. Peppers every week and have NEVER had even one of the maladies you mentioned. Fer Crhissakes: my doctor drinks Diet Coke and we ran a half-marathon together earlier this year.
Where did you say you went to medical school?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Hyperbole of the worst sort. I'm a personal trainer and an active drummer; I run about 20 miles a week; I'm 6'-2" and weigh 177 lbs. I drink 4-5 Diet Dr. Peppers every week and have NEVER had even one of the maladies you mentioned. Fer Crhissakes: my doctor drinks Diet Coke and we ran a half-marathon together earlier this year.
Where did you say you went to medical school?
He was being sarcastic. It wasn't a serious post.

Also, I've heard that you lose your sense of humor when you drink diet soda. And, your testicles shrivel, you develop warts on your toes, and in some cases, the tip of your nose falls off from overstimulation of bubbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss