Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

I don't know why anyone would avoid a particular food unless there was a specific health reason. It's part of what makes life enjoyable IMO and as long as you don't overdo then nothing should be off limits unless you just don't like it or life is better for you without it (allergies, intolerances, even mental mind games). I suspect that some people with these strict food rules do so to feel like they have a sense of control, much like anorexics, but in a more socially acceptable way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Basically, that's the point. Asparagus grows up out of the ground. The ground is dirt. Therefore, you shouldn't eat asparagus, or else you will cause dirt to block your large intestine.

Lean beef from cows, come from cows, and cows have udders that swell with milk after they give birth. Therefore, you shouldn't eat lean beef, because you will end up with a dairy allergy and die.

You see how dumb these conclusions sound, when you follow one point to another without any logical path? That's what happens when you try to correlate lectins in certain blood types, with weight loss.

"I really don't understand this sooooo.... I'll just make fun of it and people will think I'm smart"

Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM

If you eat grains and you are overweight you have a problem with grains.

Stop blaming your obesity on hypo-thyroid or "meds making me fat" or "I'm big boned"

I bet most here who are here arguing against the theory that grains are bad have a weight problem.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know why anyone would avoid a particular food unless there was a specific health reason. It's part of what makes life enjoyable IMO and as long as you don't overdo then nothing should be off limits unless you just don't like it or life is better for you without it (allergies, intolerances, even mental mind games). I suspect that some people with these strict food rules do so to feel like they have a sense of control, much like anorexics, but in a more socially acceptable way.
Some people need strict limits on things, because they have no *self* control. Not that they need to be "in" control..but that they know they can't handle any of a certain thing, without craving more and feeling deprived if they don't get it. Starches and sugars are two common food types that some people really just need to avoid altogether, because they can't handle the limitations.

The whole "Bet you can't eat just one" advertising slogan is a perfect example of this - potato chips - if you have a whole bag of them on the kitchen table, and you know you are only allowed to eat four of them at a meal..and there's no one to stop you from eating five..

chances are, you'll eat 10. Or 20. Of half the bag, before you even realize you didn't stop at 4.

And there's nothing intrinsically wrong with eating 4 potato chips. And there's nothing intrinsically wrong with starch, or potatos, or even fried foods for that matter. But some people are just so used to mindlessly shovelling food in their mouths, they stop noticing that they're doing it.

And the most efficient way to curtail this behavior, is to not start doing it in the first place. Portion control works great for meals. Not so great for bags of potato chips, or half-gallon containers of ice cream sitting in the freezer, or "just a half-inch slice" of pecan pie when there's a whole pie on the counter.

Some people have to just pretend that these types of foods are poison to them. Because - to these particular people, those foods really -do- end up being poisonous. Because they can't stop once they start eating them and THAT is when they get obese and unhealthy.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post

Stop blaming your obesity on hypo-thyroid or "meds making me fat" or "I'm big boned"

I bet most here who are here arguing against the theory that grains are bad have a weight problem.
So you're saying, that if I eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning, and a pint of Ben & Jerry's Toffee Coffee Crunch every afternoon for lunch, and a 1/4 roasted chicken with mashed potatos, gravy, and creamed spinach for dinner every evening..

that my weight problem is caused by my oatmeal? Really? Do you really think I, and the entire membership of this forum is that gullible and stupid to believe that horsepucky?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So you're saying, that if I eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning, and a pint of Ben & Jerry's Toffee Coffee Crunch every afternoon for lunch, and a 1/4 roasted chicken with mashed potatos, gravy, and creamed spinach for dinner every evening..

that my weight problem is caused by my oatmeal? Really? Do you really think I, and the entire membership of this forum is that gullible and stupid to believe that horsepucky?
I really can't remember typing all that junk.......

Ohhhhh you're just being......, You

Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I really can't remember typing all that junk.......

Ohhhhh you're just being......, You
No, you didn't type all that. You typed this:
Quote:
Your statement makes a claim that this ONE thing that you're eating, is the entire reason why you are obese. If you meant that "you MIGHT have a problem with grains," I'd agree with you.

But that isn't what you posted. I responded to what you posted. Yes, that's just being me. I tend to respond to what people post, not what I want to pretend I saw someone post.

I don't have a problem with grains. I have a problem with portion control and eating more calories than I exercise off. However, I seem to be doing better now. I just got back from the gym. I've lost 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks, 2 inches off my waist, 3% off my body fat count, and I've strengthened my upper arms to the point where I actually have definition in my triceps where before, it was just loose flabby skin.

I eat grains. I eat basically everything. I even treat myself to a scoop of ice cream every couple of weeks. But I eat less of everything, except salad, which I'm eating much more of than I was when I gained all that weight. I'm also doing cardio every day, and weight training every other day.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
I've lost 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks, 2 inches off my waist, 3% off my body fat count, and I've strengthened my upper arms to the point where I actually have definition in my triceps where before, it was just loose flabby skin.
That's pretty interesting for a woman... What was your starting weight?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:56 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Then don't eat wheat. Problem solved.

I, on the other hand, don't have a problem with wheat. Therefore, I will eat it, preferably baked and spread with butter.

Im one of the eevil people who believes in privileging certain fats over others, so I spread olive oil on mine instead of butter. Yumm.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:

My obesity was due to eating far too much of a range of foods, including pizza and pasta, but also ice cream, french fries, fried chicken, chocolate, etc, etc.

I am no longer obese. I am no longer even overweight. I am about the middle of my normal BMI range. I got there by controlling portions, eating more veggies and fruits and lean proteins and whole grains, and by becoming more active.

It took me two years to lose about 50 pounds. I lost the last 20 in less than five months, on weight watchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss