Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The main problem with pizza is the wheat. I ate it a few months ago as my high calorie ketogenic cycling day meal but followed it with the all protein day to wash the sugars out of my cells. I just feel so much better wheat free there's no point. It's a damaging health destroying food. Would rather ketogenic cycle with something else.

I dont cycle. I try to eat moderately and healthily. For me the problem with pizza is the calories. Though the sat fat is not wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And you'd be wrong...again. People have been eating wheat for centuries now and the obesity problem is relatively new.
The obesity problem is actually VERY old. We just like to think its new because we are told its new. Sure, its a little worse than before, but not much. Plenty of studies show obesity epidemics in earlier populations and tribal cultures. Like the Sioux Indians having obesity rates well over 30% living on bread and coffee in extreme poverty and lack of abundant food. To hear today's excuses for obesity, the Sioux must have been playing Nintendo and refusing to go anywhere without a car, in the 1800's.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My obesity was due to eating far too much of a range of foods, including pizza and pasta, but also ice cream, french fries, fried chicken, chocolate, etc, etc.

I am no longer obese. I am no longer even overweight. I am about the middle of my normal BMI range. I got there by controlling portions, eating more veggies and fruits and lean proteins and whole grains, and by becoming more active.

It took me two years to lose about 50 pounds. I lost the last 20 in less than five months, on weight watchers.
Sounds to me like you cut your carb intake dramatically. Same thing I did except I cut mine much more dramatically, well under 100g per day average, while eating lots of saturated fats. All bloodwork improved for both of us, the common change was cutting carbs. Hmmmm.....

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My obesity was due to eating far too much of a range of foods, including pizza and pasta, but also ice cream, french fries, fried chicken, chocolate, etc, etc.

I am no longer obese. I am no longer even overweight. I am about the middle of my normal BMI range. I got there by controlling portions, eating more veggies and fruits and lean proteins and whole grains, and by becoming more active.

It took me two years to lose about 50 pounds. I lost the last 20 in less than five months, on weight watchers.
Eating grains CAUSES feelings of hunger even when your body DOESN'T need food.

A perfect example of this is when people eat Chinese food and they are hungry again very soon after. That's because of the rice.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
I have great control over what I eat, its called being an adult. Sure I can have 1-2 slices of pizza but choose not to. Simply not willing to put up with the bloating, joint pain and neurological effects ie mood swings & tantrums. Unless you are an O who has eliminated wheat for at least 3 weeks there is no way you can know what I'm talking about. Try it with your O children, I dare you.........

Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,155 times
Quote:
You obviously don't understand what metabolic and metabolism mean.
I am sorry,, but I think you are the one that dont know the meaning
Metabolic: Relating to metabolism, the whole range of biochemical processes that occur within us (or any living organism). Metabolism consists of anabolism (the buildup of substances) and catabolism (the breakdown of substances).
The term "metabolic" is often used to refer specifically to the breakdown of food and its transformation into energy.
Of, relating to, or resulting from metabolism.

Please if you have a different language, please rephrase to

"You obviously don't understand what metabolic and metabolism means in my language"

Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Since the 80s people have been eating more pasta & bread & less meat and especially butter.You need to read Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat. Taubes is a fierce O Hunter for sure.
How do you explain Asia???
The normal meal of Asia is about 80% grains..

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
How do you explain Asia???
The normal meal of Asia is about 80% grains..
And then there's all those MILLIONS of vegetarians worldwide, most of whom are -not- overweight at all, some of whom are emaciated and undernourished, many of whom are fit and trim, and never touch meat to their lips, of any kind.

The vegans are even more extreme, but I'm referring to just a normal "my culture doesn't partake in flesh-eating" kind of vegetarians.

Pick a third-world country where the majority of poverty-stricken kids barely survive eating little more than rice, but they get to eat as much rice as they can shovel down their throats. They're not fat. Therefore, carbs don't make you fat. If carbs was the cause of obesity, then everyone who ate carbs would be obese. AND: everyone who was obese is eating carbs. Since not everyone who eats carbs is obese, AND since not everyone who is obese eats carbs, then carbs cannot be the cause of obesity.

However: eating too many carbs, combined with too many fats, combined with too much protein, combined with too many sugars, combined with not enough exercise, DOES cause obesity.

Too many carbs *can contribute* to obesity, but it doesn't cause it, all by itself.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The main problem with pizza is the wheat. I ate it a few months ago as my high calorie ketogenic cycling day meal but followed it with the all protein day to wash the sugars out of my cells. I just feel so much better wheat free there's no point. It's a damaging health destroying food. Would rather ketogenic cycle with something else.
Here is a perfect example of someone that doesnt know biology.
You cant wash the sugars of of any cell.
Almost all cells in your body quickly transform any sugar to energy, the exceptions are muscle, liver which store extra sugar as glycogen.
Also insulin helps your adipose tissue to absorb the extra sugar in your blood stream and transforms it into fat.
Now something that you should know, that might help you understand...
The ONLY food source for the brain is SUGAR.
The brain CAN'T use proteins for energy, only sugar...
And let me tell you the liver only has enough sugar to support you for 12 hours...
So if you go 12 hours without eating carbs then you are denying food for your brain.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
I have Systemic lupus. I was diagnosed with it 6 years ago... after many surgeries to remove/repair/replace diseased and dead tissue as well as organs... including 1/2 of my colon and(oddly) my left eye lens, which literally weakened and ripped in two.

Since my diagnosis, I have gone back to natural products. We bake our own ground-whole-wheat-bread, use oats in many of our recipes, raise our own chickens w/eggs, eat only grass-fed beef, don't drink pop, have access to and drink some of the purest groundwater in the country. We eat locally grown fruits and vegetables. We don't eat any processed foods. I eat natural butter and even render down my own hog backfat for lard instead of eating all of those shortenings and oils. Not to mention that living on a farm for the past three years has provided a lot of healthy exercise.

Both my DH and I now have very low cholesterol (the tests came back again last week), have turned fat into muscle, and are far more healthy now than we ever were. Our doctor just chuckles and shakes her head. Whatever works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss