Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times

Advertisements

I was a calorie counter for decades. And I was fat. I finally proved to myself that calorie counting doesn't work and all calories are not created equal by doing the Baskin Robbins diet that I invented myself. I ate one pint of Baskin Robbins per day and water. I did this for 30 days. The pint I ate equaled 1000 calories. And I took a good vitamin. I gained weight. That was the end of my slavish devotion to calorie counting. It wasn't working anyway!

What did work for me was Atkins. And I'm not fat anymore. That was the answer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I was a calorie counter for decades. And I was fat. I finally proved to myself that calorie counting doesn't work and all calories are not created equal by doing the Baskin Robbins diet that I invented myself. I ate one pint of Baskin Robbins per day and water. I did this for 30 days. The pint I ate equaled 1000 calories. And I took a good vitamin. I gained weight. That was the end of my slavish devotion to calorie counting. It wasn't working anyway!

What did work for me was Atkins. And I'm not fat anymore. That was the answer for me.
It's because you weren't eating the pralines and cream ice cream. That's the one you need if you want to lose weight, doh!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM

577 posts, read 901,350 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity-- how much weight did you gain?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
All I know is that right now I want some food. And I am not going to have any. I ate yougurt and banana with strawberries for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and rice with stir fry for dinner. I am hungry now. The only real way to lose weight is to stop eating all the time. I had plenty of food for a person today. I just feel like eatuing now, a snack before bed. I don't want spinach, I want a ham sandwich. Nope. Mama's "fat jeans" are tight. The food fest is over. The only way to diet is self control. I really hate that!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM

20 posts, read 36,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
All I know is that right now I want some food. And I am not going to have any. I ate yougurt and banana with strawberries for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and rice with stir fry for dinner. I am hungry now. The only real way to lose weight is to stop eating all the time. I had plenty of food for a person today. I just feel like eatuing now, a snack before bed. I don't want spinach, I want a ham sandwich. Nope. Mama's "fat jeans" are tight. The food fest is over. The only way to diet is self control. I really hate that!
An important question to ask here is: Is it your stomach or your mouth/throat that's hungry? If you aren't feeling actual hunger pangs, then it's likely what I call being "mouthy". Especially since you are experiencing a craving for something soft and salty with carbs. When you are really hungry, just about anything will do.

You may in fact be hungry, because if you have been reducing your intake/calories and/or exercising more, your body is used to more food. If you are in fact experiencing hunger pangs in your stomach, try having some hot tea, miso soup or vegetable soup. Hot liquids make your stomach feel full.

If you are just mouthy, that's a trickier one. You can try having some gum or celery with hot sauce for some flavor and crunch. (I also like making Kale chips for this reason, they're better than they sound.)

In terms of counting calories, it's always worked for me. Probably because I'm less likely to eat something bad for me if I have to look at the number that goes along with it, and how it basically used up all my calories for the day. If I don't write it down, I'm much more lax. (I use calorie king, not a diary). WW is good if you need to learn what the "right" kinds of food are, but I already know that things higher in fiber fill me up better for fewer calories and that personally if I don't have protein at every meal then I am starving soon after. But I certainly still eat (and love) carbs.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've actually been paying close attention to your posts, brooklyndad, and have been much more attentive to my eating. I started a food journal - thanks to you! I've been reading nutrition labels on processed foods and seeking out the "best bang for my buck" thanks to you! And on the back of the Healthy Choice steamer boxes, there's even a "points" count for weight-watchers on the back so you know how many portions of each type of food you're eating. .
Unfortunately those points on the HC boxes are from the old WW system, not Points Plus which they started in late fall, just before I began tracking. I dont know if its a question of inventory in pipeline, or if Conagra and WW couldnt reach a meeting of the minds. ANyway, the only packaged foods I see with Points Plus labeled are WW own brands, and not even all of them yet. Which is okay, I really shouldnt be relying on processed foods that much.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:

A. I can hardly you believe you werent starving (subjectively) all the time eating that way
B. I can hardly believe you didnt get sick from the imbalance, lack of fiber, etc, etc.

I could never eat that way. WW would never want you to eat that way.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
i dont believe that she was eating 1000 calories of ice cream (and thats it) and she didnt lose weight. unless she is already skinny or very sedentary.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,724,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont believe that she was eating 1000 calories of ice cream (and thats it) and she didnt lose weight. unless she is already skinny or very sedentary.
Its possible. Because it was only a month and only 1000 calories. Any weight loss plan should be stuck to for at least three months because the body can stall when you cut calories. Especially if you have a body that does not take off weight easily. Also it being only 1000 calories it would send the body into a panic and slow the metab. I personally barely lose on 1000 calories. I have to have it at least 1200 and 1500 is really best. I am only 115-118lbs. And there is also that theory that corn syrup sugars can make people gain weight on the same amount of calories that would make them maintain or lose if it were different types of calories without any corn syrup in the diet. Also with all that sugar it would raise inflammation in the body which can also affect weight loss and slow any lean tissue building.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
I can't stand the OCD of writing down food, and calories. Paperwork drives me crazy! So does math. I just know that eating pizza and pasta every night with doughnuts and ice cream for dessert means you are gonna look like Homer Simpson. Whereas spinach, broiled chicken, some brown rice, you will look more like Olive Oyl. More or less. I hate exercise too, but I know that a flat tummy takes work, yoga and pilates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss