Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM

243 posts, read 703,901 times

Advertisements

Hi to start with.
i dont feel that Overweight. I just feel unplaced if u understand me.

when its how pep cloth them self. I think that is sumthing they do. (those who show cleavage and walking in to tight cloths) to show evry one that their not emberaseb about their own overweight.

But unf. their overweight looks worse when the dress like that.
My weight is about 253.5 lbs Tho i dont train much. i know i shud.
But im not "floppy" if i run nothing bounses around

my hight is about 6'4".

so yeah i got some xtra round my waste.(hm is that right english. belt area)

Tho i dress in right sized clothes. usaly black. coz black clothes suits me. and black also hides/nutrilice my size.

On the other hand.Pep shud be alowed to dress them self the way they want. even when body parts hangs around.. jigling and dancing when thei are walking. Tho its not always pretty..

Tj..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times
Default Fat Kids Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I see a lot of fat children nowadays. Now how do kids get to be fat? They shouldn't be fat. They run around and have fast little metabolisms. it doesn't make sense. Shouldn't oughta be that way!

greenie
Wow- You hit the nail on the head - I see Fat Kids...everywhere. No joke. At the Malls, at the grocery stores, at the boardwalk.
I have a friend who's daughter is around seven or eight years old. This kids must weigh 150 lbs. I am not kidding. She is huge. Yet, no one wants to "talk" about it. Every time I visit them, I watch this little "Oompaloompah" go in and out of the cabinets & fridge, helping herself to JUNK food. Her mom said "Ohhh I can't stop her, she's gonna do what she wants" CAN YOU BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE??????

I am trying to think of a polite way to get this friend to watch that new TV show called "Honey We're Killng the Kids" where it shows what a fat 7 year old will look like at 30 yrs old(if they make it that long)

Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Default Little kids and big bodies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious because where I live now, I see 20 year olds that look to be 270 lbs., yet they wear halter tops with everything showing- how strange -

I am just wondering what everyone else thinks- post what you would consider a problem weight. Thanks for any ideas....

sunny
This is a situation that I see here in my area. Go to the store and you see parents, both moms and dads, extremely overweight and their children are not far behind them(is that a pun?) Hmmm. anyway, is discouraging to think that no one in the family really sees what they look like and the serious damage to their children's health that they are contributing to.

And why must the heavier a person is, they insist on wearing, tight, revealing clothes? It is because they may not even want to admit to themselves how they have increased in size and refuse to purchase clothes in the correct sizr. I thinks it is called denial.

I am sorry to offend anyone. I have been 'there' myself once. It is taking awhile but I will hopefully get to the desired weight got health reasons before long. Anyone else attempting this weight loss business, I wish you well and good luck

Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Its not just weight- but the amount of excess body fat thats dangerous to your health.

Carrying too much body fat increases risk of serious health problems such as high BP, elevated cholesterol (fat clogs the artereies-it looks like bacon fat), heart disease , diabetes and cancer.

If kids are obese at such a young age they are eating at McDonalds and other places which serve high trans fats content. My brother is a surgeon at Johns Hopkins, and said some of the young people and cases of obesity they see there are horiffic.

Parents can deny all they want, the health risk is real.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-09-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
While it's certainly not the final word, a good place to start is to have a look at a Height / Weight chart. According to this chart, I'm slighty overweight. At a height of 5' 9" with a medium frame, my ideal weight would fall between 148 and 160 lbs. My actual weight is 170, but very few people would classify me as being overweight becasue I have a muscular body and a very slender appearance. On the other hand, many people fall within their ideal weight, yet they LOOK overweight. To me it is not just the amount of weight, but the type and quality of the weight as well. Well toned, muscular body weight simply looks and feels better than un-toned, flabby bodyweight. If you look and/or feel overweight...you probably are!

regards...Franco

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM

786 posts, read 1,175,726 times
Very interesting... 2 full pages an no one has mentioned BMI (body mass index).

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

6'4", 253.5 pounds = BMI 30.9

5'9", 170 pounss = BMI 25.1

Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Very interesting... 2 full pages an no one has mentioned BMI (body mass index).

....ummmmmmm See Page 1, post #2.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 AM

243 posts, read 703,901 times
BMI is weird like that.

coz this dude. 6'1" 230 lbz. gues hes obese...

tho still he is ranked Heavyweight Champion.

So i gues we shud be cearfuel around fat kid's...
on photos he sure dosent look fat tho.. look him up Joe Mesi.

weird according to bmi. evry one who train a lot are overweight.

not saying im slim jim.

but some years ago. wel 15 years acctuly. i got a bit sick.
during that tim my weight droped down to 176.37 lbs.
and the doctors was so worried about that. and realy told me that so low weight on me realy was liftreathning.

luckly after som time i ganied weight. (tho i continued to the weight i am to day. 253.5 lbs)

but when i look att bmi calculators and those weigth lose clubs.
there im suposed to geet atkleast down to 176.37 lbs some even say i shud geet a bit under tha to..

So i called my old doctor from 15 years back.. and he still says no way. He claims that bmi dosent consider all wariations. tho he do say i shud train some more.

realy hard to know what to do.. when "xperts" say stright against each other.
gues i just have to make a chois and live with that.. find my comfy weight.. prob is about 212 lbs
TJ...

Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
Question Why is fat ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Its not just weight- but the amount of excess body fat thats dangerous to your health.

Carrying too much body fat increases risk of serious health problems such as high BP, elevated cholesterol (fat clogs the artereies-it looks like bacon fat), heart disease , diabetes and cancer.

If kids are obese at such a young age they are eating at McDonalds and other places which serve high trans fats content. My brother is a surgeon at Johns Hopkins, and said some of the young people and cases of obesity they see there are horiffic.

Parents can deny all they want, the health risk is real.
I agree with sunny's post -- fat isn't just an issue of attractiveness, it's bad for your body! Fat is not fit. I'm not talking about five extra pounds, being 40+ pounds overweight places extra burden on your heart, your joints, etc...and results in higher health care costs due to the comorbidities sunny mentioned. These extra obesity-related health care costs contribute to higher health plan premiums.

I also think that medical professionals have a responsibility to step up and tell their patients that the reason they are having back problems, for example, is because they are overweight, and that they should lose weight to address the root cause of the problem, not just address the symptoms by prescribing pain relievers. Why are medical professionals so reluctant to tell someone they're obese and that the obesity is the reason why they have those health problems? Why do they use terminology like "very well nourished" when they really mean fat? To my knowledge, fat is not a protected class.

Parents need to take responsibility for ensuring that their kids stay active and healthy, and if they notice that their child is overweight, doing something about it immediately. Fat kids become fat adults, and you keep every fat cell you've ever had unless you have liposuction. It's not fair to kids to allow them to think that being fat is ok.

Ok, I digressed a bit, but I don't enjoy seeing overweight and/or obese people walking around with their stuff out, just like I don't enjoy seeing women with ridiculously short skirts or extremely low-cut shirts on. If I was that heavy, I would be embarrassed to be showing all my lumps and bumps.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,679 times
Default What do you consider ft/obese

My mother taught me when growing up that just because one person looks good in something doesn't mean it would look good on everyone, like a real tall girl wouldn't wear stripes or a rather round one or overweight person wouldn't want to add to the roundness with circles etc. I think that females who wear clothing with their belly button showing isn't necessary, but that's a conservative view I guess, but I must admit there are a lot of women, mostly young of course who look really nice with a halter top, because they have the figure for it, they don't have spare tires hanging over the top of the pants or shorts whatever. I 've seen some even with nice figures who don't dress is good taste, but it's definetly not for a female with spare tires or an obese figure. Just like I saw more women with spandex who should never have thought about wearing them than women who could wear them. Weren't they really for bike riders and people who worked out? Another thing my Mom told me that for a girl or woman who had long feet or big feet wouldn't want to wear white shoes because they make the foot look bigger. I think there should be a course in schools that teaches people basic fundamentals in dress. Everyone is going to wear what they want, but today a lot of the Mothers weren't taught basics in dress do how could they pass it on to their children? So there you are in the market looking at the Mother and her daughter with their belly fat showing buying processed foods with cases of diet soda, passing the same thing on to the next generation.

sylmarbru
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss