Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
I agree with sunny's post -- fat isn't just an issue of attractiveness, it's bad for your body! Fat is not fit. I'm not talking about five extra pounds, being 40+ pounds overweight places extra burden on your heart, your joints, etc...and results in higher health care costs due to the comorbidities sunny mentioned. These extra obesity-related health care costs contribute to higher health plan premiums.

I also think that medical professionals have a responsibility to step up and tell their patients that the reason they are having back problems, for example, is because they are overweight, and that they should lose weight to address the root cause of the problem, not just address the symptoms by prescribing pain relievers. Why are medical professionals so reluctant to tell someone they're obese and that the obesity is the reason why they have those health problems? Why do they use terminology like "very well nourished" when they really mean fat? To my knowledge, fat is not a protected class.

Parents need to take responsibility for ensuring that their kids stay active and healthy, and if they notice that their child is overweight, doing something about it immediately. Fat kids become fat adults, and you keep every fat cell you've ever had unless you have liposuction. It's not fair to kids to allow them to think that being fat is ok.

Ok, I digressed a bit, but I don't enjoy seeing overweight and/or obese people walking around with their stuff out, just like I don't enjoy seeing women with ridiculously short skirts or extremely low-cut shirts on. If I was that heavy, I would be embarrassed to be showing all my lumps and bumps.
I agree 100% seems like 10 or 20 years ago people were fit- then again I lived in NY- not Tennessee

I agree with last part- I see Moms and daughters with skimpy halters- everything spilling out- It is in poor taste and I cannot believe these women think its fine- We are talking people who weigh 300 lbs, belly shirt, gut protruding.

Is it just poor education? These people are morbidly obese and in denial- I would never let my daughter get like that- I would have her immediately brought to a dr. There are 20 year olds here on high blood pressure meds- I would be freaking if my kid was already having cardio and BP problems at that young age. I just don't get it-

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 PM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Some of us have other things up top that are fat, but are meant to be there that prevent us from seeing below.

Dawn
Interesting. Would there be a space between those things or are they united?
The word "uniboob" comes to mind.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:54 AM

243 posts, read 703,901 times
One thing i dont understand..

according to medline pluss.
Quote:
Obesity means having too much body fat. It is different from being overweight, which means weighing too much.
Then how can BMI who soly calculates hight and weight figure out if some one is obese or just overweight?

According to BMI vel trained pep are obese... but then a vel trained person prob got werry litle body fat.

And when u see photos of obese pep and my self.
I have seen obese pep who looks realy big. actuly have a lower weight than me. But when i look att photo of me. (or mirror) i look "slim" comperad to these obese pep. Tho here on this tread im considered obese..

ofc im not vel trained..
Her's obese Tjukken:

Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Wow- You hit the nail on the head - I see Fat Kids...everywhere. No joke. At the Malls, at the grocery stores, at the boardwalk.
I have a friend who's daughter is around seven or eight years old. This kids must weigh 150 lbs. I am not kidding. She is huge. Yet, no one wants to "talk" about it. Every time I visit them, I watch this little "Oompaloompah" go in and out of the cabinets & fridge, helping herself to JUNK food. Her mom said "Ohhh I can't stop her, she's gonna do what she wants" CAN YOU BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE??????

I am trying to think of a polite way to get this friend to watch that new TV show called "Honey We're Killng the Kids" where it shows what a fat 7 year old will look like at 30 yrs old(if they make it that long)
Oompaloompa --that's made me laugh. The mother of this child is buying the junk food. If you buy, that kids grow up eating it! I was at Panera bread the other day and this family with three young kids sat down next to me. All the kids were eating salads! I said, "How do you get your kids to eat salads?" The dad said, "They just alway liked to eat them." Amazing.

greenie

Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
One thing i dont understand..

according to medline pluss.

Then how can BMI who soly calculates hight and weight figure out if some one is obese or just overweight?

According to BMI vel trained pep are obese... but then a vel trained person prob got werry litle body fat.

And when u see photos of obese pep and my self.
I have seen obese pep who looks realy big. actuly have a lower weight than me. But when i look att photo of me. (or mirror) i look "slim" comperad to these obese pep. Tho here on this tread im considered obese..

ofc im not vel trained..
Her's obese Tjukken:

Wow. That snow is gorgeous! i can't wait to move back east!

greenie

Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM

243 posts, read 703,901 times
yeah snow is fun..

even snow baths are fun... (if u got a fireplace neer by)

Old 08-11-2007, 12:18 PM

30 posts, read 276,180 times
Just because some people are fat does not automatically mean they are unfit either like some say. I know people who are overweight but have no high blood pressure and they can outdo most of us when it comes to working and such. Getting cancer is not caused from weight either. There is a lot more that depends on whether a person is fit or not. I, myself, am overweight and my doctor keeps an eye on my blood pressure and all and still says I am in good shape. I would be considered obese by most people and yet I can out hike friends of mine. Being overweight is not good but I would rather be FAT than be skinny and have every disease in the book.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 PM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey to Missouri View Post
Being overweight is not good but I would rather be FAT than be skinny and have every disease in the book.
Does this mean that skinny people have every disease in the book?
Does this mean that fat people don't have every disease in the book?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey to Missouri View Post
Just because some people are fat does not automatically mean they are unfit either like some say. I know people who are overweight but have no high blood pressure and they can outdo most of us when it comes to working and such. Getting cancer is not caused from weight either. There is a lot more that depends on whether a person is fit or not. I, myself, am overweight and my doctor keeps an eye on my blood pressure and all and still says I am in good shape. I would be considered obese by most people and yet I can out hike friends of mine. Being overweight is not good but I would rather be FAT than be skinny and have every disease in the book.

Just more their to squeeze

Last edited by junkman18; 08-11-2007 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
www.ucsfhealth.org/childrens/medical_services/hdisorder/obesity/healthRisk.html

If your doctor is telling you that, that is incorrect- obesity is NOT healthy. Ask any physician. Atherosclerosis and heart disease start early. My former sister-in-law- was obese since age 20 and almost died with a sudden heart attack at age 49. They couldn't do stomach stapling on her, because her heart is so damaged.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-11-2007 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss