Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM

30 posts, read 276,212 times

Advertisements

I never said my doctor told me it was healthy. You did not read that at from my post. I said that my doctor said I was healthy, given that I was overweight. Like I said, I can out-hike smaller friends of mine when we go hiking and don't even get me started about how fast they tire when we all go swimming. I am older than you, I am sure, and I have no heart disease or high blood pressure or anything like that. A few years ago I did go through a bout of cancer, which has been in remission for over 5 years now. I also smoke about 2 cartons of cigs a month. My breathing capabilities are just fine too. It does not mean that it is good for you. It does mean that it doesn't seem to attack me the way it attacks plenty other people though. I get plenty of exercise and I can out do most of my friends, not a couple of them though. LOLOLOLOLOL

I have seen some skinny people that are as sickly as they can be, not all of course but too many for me to count. I am talking skinny, not a normal weight. I have also seen some people who happen to vegans and they do not look good at all. They might be as healthy as all get out but their looks ,like death warmed over. I don't like gobby fat on anyone and it is not on me at all. I guessed I lucked out in that my weight distributed itself fairly evenly over my body.

I would never do stomach stapling. That is disgusting and there is a reason I am overweight and it is not because of eating. Just because your relation had problems with her weight causing such health problems does not mean it causes all people problems.

Since insurance companies want to charge people who happen to smoke and are overweight more than they should also charge all of the people who eat that disgusting stuff they call food at all of the fast food restaurants. I guarantee that I eat much more healthy than most in here do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Why the anger. I am merely posting medical facts. Doctors recommend stomach stapling for people like Art Roker (he gained it back though- I think) Some people have a food obsession and stomach stapling worls for them. My point was, she was overweight for so long, they could not help her.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM

292 posts, read 993,525 times
JourneytoMissouri I am glad this working out for you.

I'd like to add my observations on weight as aging. I know people who in their 30's and 40's were heavyset and very active. However in thier their 50's they began to slow down as their joints which had supported their weight for so long started having problems. Now in their 60's these folks are very inactive.

I am trying to think of a person in their 60's who can do what you do. Smoke, hike, swim and live an active life style as an overweight person. No one comes to mind. You are truly blessed to have been given such a body.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:11 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,658 times
People need to be less judgemental towards overweight individuals. I am not advocating morbid obesity but c'mon, there may be circumstances that you are unaware of. There is a lot of emotional eating going on. It's not all that cut and dry. I have battled my weight my entire life and know that it takes a lot of effort. At 5'0 I know each lb. shows on me. I take care of myself. And while I don't like the way fat looks and know that it's not healthy, I have empathy towards obese individuals recognizing that they know all too well how society views them and either lack the motication or know-how to change past behaviors. Try a little compassion for a change.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:56 PM

156 posts, read 150,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
People need to be less judgemental towards overweight individuals. I am not advocating morbid obesity but c'mon, there may be circumstances that you are unaware of. There is a lot of emotional eating going on. It's not all that cut and dry. I have battled my weight my entire life and know that it takes a lot of effort. At 5'0 I know each lb. shows on me. I take care of myself. And while I don't like the way fat looks and know that it's not healthy, I have empathy towards obese individuals recognizing that they know all too well how society views them and either lack the motication or know-how to change past behaviors. Try a little compassion for a change.
You sound like a nice person and I do agree with you. The facts are that most people are judgemental because they are lacking somewhere in their own lives.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
You sound like a nice person and I do agree with you. The facts are that most people are judgemental because they are lacking somewhere in their own lives.

I am agreeing with this. It sounds as if most of you all are making fun and judging the overweight people in the way they dress. Who really cares? I for one don't like to see anybody half dressed but those of you who live around a beach for example are going to (surprise) see a little or a lot of everything. My concern is not the way these people look but the way they walk. When someone is so fat they struggle to get across a room or they need to be pulled out of a chair, that is too fat. When someone dresses a certain way or barely dresses at all, does it really matter?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 AM

156 posts, read 150,779 times
Thank you so much. I just think that some people seem to have too much time on their hands if they have so much time to judge every other person out there. I am sure that some could find things about them that we would n ot like too. Oh well, I try to find the positives in as many people as I can.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM

186 posts, read 352,782 times
I believe everybody should work out more. I often see people take impeccable care for their cars and homes BUT what about their bodies. Thier bodies should be there first priority. If you take care of your car it would last longer. If you take care of your home it will last longer. If you take care of your body it will last longer. I used to work and go to school in the afternoon from 6 am to 10 pm and still found time to excersize. Like nike said just do it.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Journey To Missouri wrote:
Since insurance companies want to charge people who happen to smoke and are overweight more than they should also charge all of the people who eat that disgusting stuff they call food at all of the fast food restaurants. I guarantee that I eat much more healthy than most in here do
Agreed! People who eat that fast food crap should pay MUCH HIGHER premiums....AND....healthy people should pay MUCH LOWER premiums. The people who are most likely to use the system due to their own irresponsible habits should be the ones who bear the greatest cost. For every year that goes by, without filing a claim, the premiums should drop. If that were the case, the insurance companies would be paying some of us to do business with them.

many blessings....Franco

Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
songinthewind,

thanks for your post.

Most overweight people don't wish to be overweight, and when you get that heavy you often begin to not care how you dress. Anyway, that is my take on it. Sometimes finding clothes to fit is a problem too.

I have a friend that overweight and walks 5 miles a day, sometimes twice a day. She hasn't lost a pound. But she found she loves walking out in nature.

Someday you may find yourself there and understand others who are struggling. Often these people have thyroid problems and thyroid medication will not change anything. My friend is one of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss